Husker Undrafted Free Agents

On 4/28/2018 at 7:54 PM, Making Chimichangas said:

Good luck to all those Nebraska players.

Side Note: Gates has, in my mind, the steepest hill to climb of any former Nebraska player, to make an NFL team.  I truly wish Gates the best of luck.  However, I will be absolutely shocked if he actually makes any NFL active roster this upcoming season. 

Disagree there, I think DPE has the steepest hill.  Let's be honest here, we can agree that at one point, Gates was a pretty talented guy and has put on some good tape and somewhere, deep down there is a good player if the work ethic emerges.  I just don't see how DPE makes a team, it certainly won't be as a PR unless he can magically revert to his freshman year form.  He has whatever the football equivalent of the yips is.  

• Plus1 3
4 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

Disagree there, I think DPE has the steepest hill.  Let's be honest here, we can agree that at one point, Gates was a pretty talented guy and has put on some good tape and somewhere, deep down there is a good player if the work ethic emerges.  I just don't see how DPE makes a team, it certainly won't be as a PR unless he can magically revert to his freshman year form.  He has whatever the football equivalent of the yips is.  

We agree Gate's lacks work ethic.  However, my analysis it goes deeper than that.  Remember how badly he got whipped by that player from Tennessee in the bowl game two years ago?  Realistically, what has he done since to make himself a better player?  In the NFL he'll be going against guys better than that every day in practice and during exhibition games.  He basically blew off, or did the absolute minimum, in S&C for 3 years while at Nebraska and his poor physical performance at the combine showed it.  He's too slow and weak for OT, not strong enough to be OG, and well I won't finish that comment about him being an OC.   

And DPE...will make an NFL team--I think.  I think he has a better shot than Gates by far.  If he actually gets some blocking, he could be special again in the punt return game.  And in reality, DPE could make a team just playing special teams.

1 hour ago, Making Chimichangas said:

We agree Gate's lacks work ethic.  However, my analysis it goes deeper than that.  Remember how badly he got whipped by that player from Tennessee in the bowl game two years ago?  Realistically, what has he done since to make himself a better player?  In the NFL he'll be going against guys better than that every day in practice and during exhibition games. 

You mean in that single game where he still was not fully healthy with piss poor coaching he got beat by a player that had 13 sacks on the season and then got drafted and started on the team that won the NFL championship. Crazy!

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

You mean in that single game where he still was not fully healthy with piss poor coaching he got beat by a player that had 13 sacks on the season and then got drafted and started on the team that won the NFL championship. Crazy!

You

<----- The Point

Make excuses for Gates all you want, it matters naught.  I have obviously never played in the NFL, but I know the kind of effort and work ethic a player has to have just to make a team.  And Gates simply doesn't have it.  Hey if I end up being wrong, I'll stand up and applaud him.  In point of fact, I legit hope he proves me wrong because I want ALL former Huskers to do well.  

14 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

You

<----- The Point

Make excuses for Gates all you want, it matters naught.  I have obviously never played in the NFL, but I know the kind of effort and work ethic a player has to have just to make a team.  And Gates simply doesn't have it.  Hey if I end up being wrong, I'll stand up and applaud him.  In point of fact, I legit hope he proves me wrong because I want ALL former Huskers to do well.  

No I very much get the point you are trying to make. It's always telling when someone calls out excuses without disputing them. No one is arguing about his work ethic, but if anyone in this group has a chance to make an NFL roster it is him. 

9 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

No I very much get the point you are trying to make. It's always telling when someone calls out excuses without disputing them. No one is arguing about his work ethic, but if anyone in this group has a chance to make an NFL roster it is him. 

Based on what? 

His overall mediocre game tape? 

His incredibly weak NFL Combine numbers? 

His lack of work ethic?

Please tell me, what criteria are you citing to make the claim that he has "the best chance" to make an NFL team?  I truly want to know.  Make the case, I'm listening.  I've already spelled out my rationale for why he won't make it.  Give me your rationale as to why he will.  P.S. "Being Optimistic" is not a valid criteria.  

15 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Based on what? 

His overall mediocre game tape? 

His incredibly weak NFL Combine numbers? 

His lack of work ethic?

Please tell me, what criteria are you citing to make the claim that he has "the best chance" to make an NFL team?  I truly want to know.  Make the case, I'm listening.  I've already spelled out my rationale for why he won't make it.  Give me your rationale as to why he will.  P.S. "Being Optimistic" is not a valid criteria.  

Based on watching him play. When he was playing well I can see an NFL lineman.  Do you expect me to get some all 22 and break down tape for you or are you fine with watching a single game against and calling him done?  Not everyone is gonna be 100% driven to play for a bad coaching staff during a 4-8 season for free, and he was certainly not the only one phoning it in last year. Yes he will have to work hard in  the NFL, but people are motivated in different ways. I also think NFL combine number for Lineman are pretty silly. I dont care how fast a lineman can run 40 yards, and I barely care how much they can push upwards while laying on their back. 

27 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Based on watching him play. When he was playing well I can see an NFL lineman.  Do you expect me to get some all 22 and break down tape for you or are you fine with watching a single game against and calling him done?  Not everyone is gonna be 100% driven to play for a bad coaching staff during a 4-8 season for free, and he was certainly not the only one phoning it in last year. Yes he will have to work hard in  the NFL, but people are motivated in different ways. I also think NFL combine number for Lineman are pretty silly. I dont care how fast a lineman can run 40 yards, and I barely care how much they can push upwards while laying on their back. 

The problem is, this is 3 seasons in a row where he literally half-arsed it.  It wasn't like 2017 was an anomoly due to the team being 4-8 (to which he had a pretty substantial role in making happen by the way).  It was a continuation and an on-going pattern of behavior.

Bench press is an indication of strength--which he clearly lacks (relative to other interior players in the league).

Yes the 40 yard dash is kinda pointless for an OL. But he had some of the lowest times in the 10 yard dash, shuttle, and cone drills.  All of which high performance in indicate short area explosion (in other words, the ability to get off the ball).  His vertical leap was also on the low end.

Take off your pro-Husker glasses and look at this objectively.  Would you be making the case that any other lineman, who put up these low numbers, would have "best chance" to make an NFL team if the player WASN'T from Nebraska?  Of course not.

And yeah, not everyone going to be driven to play for a loser coach like Riley, that's true.  But, if you have dreams of playing in the NFL, then that should be your motivation to bust your keyster and play as well and as hard as you can.  So, 1) put have great tape for NFL coaches and GMs to watch, and 2) you don't perform poorly at the combine.

• Plus1 1