2019 G Shereef Mitchell [Creighton Commit]

Omaha Burke guard Shereef Mitchell:

Mitchell wasn’t the leading scorer every game (doesn’t matter, everyone knows he can score), but he was the best on-ball defensive player on the floor in the five games OSA 17U Gauntlet played. He was particularly good defensively against high major guards from Team Loaded Virginia on Sunday afternoon and CP 25 (Orlando) on Saturday afternoon.

http://www.omaha.com/neprepzone/recruiting/plus/sautter-ever-underestimated-nebraskans-put-on-show-at-aau-gauntlet/article_bc1f6126-e848-5a69-b258-e0e1c9ac7f26.html

• Plus1 1

This is the state of high school basketball now.  In a way I feel sorry for the public high schools.  For years they have had to watch many of their kids leave to attend  parochial schools and now the academies are springing up all over the country that poach even more.  It's easy to see why high school basketball coaches go gray at a young age.  It also affects fans of the schools as they have high hopes a player can lead them to the state tournament only to have him move out of state for their senior season.  

On 5/2/2018 at 9:14 PM, TonyStalloni said:

This is the state of high school basketball now.  In a way I feel sorry for the public high schools.  For years they have had to watch many of their kids leave to attend  parochial schools and now the academies are springing up all over the country that poach even more.  It's easy to see why high school basketball coaches go gray at a young age.  It also affects fans of the schools as they have high hopes a player can lead them to the state tournament only to have him move out of state for their senior season.  

I might be wrong here, but I believe he just played his SR year at Burke. 

37 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Grades?

OWH article didn't say why.  Usually grades or maturity issues when kids go for "post graduate" years.  Khyri Thomas at Creighton did a post grad year before going to college, so sometimes it works out.

• 2 months later...
On 5/4/2018 at 12:24 PM, ECisGod said:

OWH article didn't say why.  Usually grades or maturity issues when kids go for "post graduate" years.  Khyri Thomas at Creighton did a post grad year before going to college, so sometimes it works out.

Shareef was a young graduate this year (he recently turned 18) so he is doing a post grad year to improve his skills, get bigger, and improve his scholarship offers.  It sounds like it has worked out.

1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

Did Timmy even offer? 

From what I know of the situation there was not much, if any, of a relationship between Tim and Shereef. 

He also has wanted this Creighton offer the entire time and it was known the minute he got it he would commit. This is the reason he re-classed.