Frost on the Blackshirts

6 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Again, being a Blackshirt has NOTHING to do with being a starter.

That's literally 99% of what it has to do with.

Can't wait to chuckle at the idea of everyone suddenly being once again fine with the Bo Pelini methodology of handing them out sometime during the season, if Frost takes that route.

• Plus1 4

3 hours ago, Landlord said:

That's literally 99% of what it has to do with.

Can't wait to chuckle at the idea of everyone suddenly being once again fine with the Bo Pelini methodology of handing them out sometime during the season, if Frost takes that route.

I'm fine with it but I don't recall ever caring much how it was done.

But people are having selective memories on what the tradition was now that Chinander and Frost want to do it a non-traditional way.

• Plus1 2
11 hours ago, Toe said:

The way he worded it almost makes me wonder if he might hand them out to individuals, rather than the group. Like if there's one guy that Frost really feels has earned it, he's the one that gets it.

i agree. i don't think being a starter automatically earns you a shirt at all........being the best we have and playing at an average level shouldn't win you the prize......now, if you are busting your ass and still not at BS playing level, well?  the concept needs to be refined and explained, as it has been adulterated over the years since Frost was here.

@Edison's Enemy and @Landlord ... Did either of you actually watch the short video of Coach Frost in the OP?

He flat out says that being awarded a Blackshirt encompassed MORE than just being a starter.  So maybe I over-reached by saying it has nothing to do with being a starter.  Apologies.  However, there is clearly more (much more) to being awarded a Blackshirt than just being a starter.  Again, these are Coach Frost's own words, not mine.  If you still don't understand, then...:dunno

4 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

@Edison's Enemy and @Landlord ... Did either of you actually watch the short video of Coach Frost in the OP?

He flat out says that being awarded a Blackshirt encompassed MORE than just being a starter.  So maybe I over-reached by saying it has nothing to do with being a starter.  Apologies.  However, there is clearly more (much more) to being awarded a Blackshirt than just being a starter.  Again, these are Coach Frost's own words, not mine.  If you still don't understand, then...:dunno

There was more to being a Blackshirt merely because the defenses were good. It was given to the defensive starters, and they happened to play well as a team - that's why there was more to it. If it was given based on anything more than that, there would've been many occasions where a starter didn't get one or back ups did, or they were held for awhile into the season.

The way Pelini did it makes sense but it's not the traditional way, nor is it if Frost does it the same way.

I love Frost but imo this is coach speak wanting the defense to play like they did in his playing days, which is a good plan.

• Plus1 2
13 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Honestly, I don't really care about what Pelini did, or how he handled it.  What is important here is that having a Blackshirt means players give max effort, have a we're going to kick your a** attitude, and play with a level of focus and intensity that starts scaring opponents again.  That's what the Blackshirts stand for and Coach Frost intends to get the defense back to that high standard.  

I hear you however 99.9% of the defensive players in the 90's fit what you stated and the # of blackshirts handed out in the 90's were far below 99%

33 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

I hear you however 99.9% of the defensive players in the 90's fit what you stated and the # of blackshirts handed out in the 90's were far below 99%

I agree, but it is clear that Frost is trying to instill that blackshirt mentality throughout the whole program again.  It does not need to be limited to the defense.  

It will be a breath of fresh air in a couple years to know that if they get beat, it will be because the other team is simply better, and not that they out worked or out prepared NU. That is easy to accept, tip your cap and move on.

IMHO, starters get Blackshirts.  That’s how it started.  The barometer to measure a Blackshirt level is too vague.....How does one determine when they are earned?  If they are earned can they be lost?  We hold Wisky to less than 200on the ground. BLACKSHIRTS!  Then Ohio St hangs 56 on us......

Earning goes against the “don’t be afraid to make mistakes” mantra IMHO.  I understand developing the mentality, re-establishing the culture etc, but don’t know how it can truly be measured that it’s returned or when the benchmark is permanently met.....

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, runningblind said:

I agree, but it is clear that Frost is trying to instill that blackshirt mentality throughout the whole program again.  It does not need to be limited to the defense.  

It will be a breath of fresh air in a couple years to know that if they get beat, it will be because the other team is simply better, and not that they out worked or out prepared NU. That is easy to accept, tip your cap and move on.

Agree with you big time - that's why it used to be easy to clap for the opposing team when we lost (we knew that they came into our house and beat us) for awhile it has felt like we beat ourselves at the benefit of the visiting team.  Somewhere around 2020 it should feel pretty good and it will be so cool seeing OU back in our stadium around that same time.

On 5/5/2018 at 2:02 PM, lo country said:

IMHO, starters get Blackshirts.  That’s how it started.  The barometer to measure a Blackshirt level is too vague.....How does one determine when they are earned?  If they are earned can they be lost?  We hold Wisky to less than 200on the ground. BLACKSHIRTS!  Then Ohio St hangs 56 on us......

Earning goes against the “don’t be afraid to make mistakes” mantra IMHO.  I understand developing the mentality, re-establishing the culture etc, but don’t know how it can truly be measured that it’s returned or when the benchmark is permanently met.....

Conversely, I feel that being unafraid to make mistakes makes you more likely to win a Black Shirt and possibly, to maintain one. Although the latter may be harder to convince some players.

26 minutes ago, HUSKER 37 said:

Conversely, I feel that being unafraid to make mistakes makes you more likely to win a Black Shirt and possibly, to maintain one. Although the latter may be harder to convince some players.

I can see that point.  Lavonte David comes to mind.  IIRC, after Ohio St Bo made the commnet he "did alright, but doesn't know the system" or something to that effect.  He played with a reckless abandon that was amazing.

Bottom line, Frost and Co have done nothing yet that makes me say, "hmmmmm."  I am sure whatever he does will be for the better of the program.  Feels good to have confidence in a staff.