Frost on the Blackshirts

"Where going to make them earn those Black Shirts."    It will be interesting to see this develop.  He talked about attitude, toughness, and leadership.  Starters will be expected to have those attributes.  Conversely,  if one doesn't have those attributes they won't be a starter under Frost - no just plugging the position wt the next guy in line seniority wise.   I would also suspect that non-starters who display those attributes and who contribute on the field may have opportunity to earn a Black Shirt as well. 

Growing up, the Blackshirts was a term used to describe the NU defense (basically the starters); 'The Blackshirts are taking the field'. Realizing that different packages have somewhat changed whom may be the starting defense game to game, to me, it seems weird to not refer to the usual starting 11 as the Blackshirts.

On 5/5/2018 at 3:08 AM, Landlord said:

That's literally 99% of what it has to do with.

Can't wait to chuckle at the idea of everyone suddenly being once again fine with the Bo Pelini methodology of handing them out sometime during the season, if Frost takes that route.

It's really just semantics. I'm sure that Frost & Co. will have the defense performing to blackshirts standards. No, maybe not smothering sub 10 point defense but I have every confidence they will field a unit we can once again be proud of and that will exhibit effort and pride, and if one of them starts slacking there will be a next man up mentality that frankly we haven't seen for awhile. It is nothing more than a culture issue and the culture hasn't been here since Frank left.

The whole problem here is that historically the starters exhibited these traits and played like blackshirts. It was always one in the same. However for the last 20 years when the program lost its way, that is when the issue of starters vs earning them raised it's ugly head. Not sure what will happen this 1st season as far as distributing the jerseys but I have the upmost confidence this dual way of looking at the balckshirts is about to be relegated to the embarrassing history of the past 20 years.

On 5/5/2018 at 8:16 AM, Making Chimichangas said:

He flat out says that being awarded a Blackshirt encompassed MORE than just being a starter.  So maybe I over-reached by saying it has nothing to do with being a starter.  Apologies.  However, there is clearly more (much more) to being awarded a Blackshirt than just being a starter.  Again, these are Coach Frost's own words, not mine.  If you still don't understand, then...:dunno

As Numb said, it really boils down to how much we want to argue the minutiae. The blackshirts began as a means to differentiate who was a starter and who wasn't. It then grew into a powerful message of being a starter while exemplifying aspects of hard work, toughness and accountability. In the last 20 years, it has developed this mythos that (in some ways) has become a bit ridiculous and irritating, in my opinion.

The only thing that's going to make the blackshirt mean something again is the starting defenders playing well while exemplifying hard work, accountability and toughness.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Enhance said:

As Numb said, it really boils down to how much we want to argue the minutiae. The blackshirts began as a means to differentiate who was a starter and who wasn't. It then grew into a powerful message of being a starter while exemplifying aspects of hard work, toughness and accountability. In the last 20 years, it has developed this mythos that (in some ways) has become a bit ridiculous and irritating, in my opinion.

The only thing that's going to make the blackshirt mean something again is the starting defenders playing well while exemplifying hard work, accountability and toughness.

msy.gif

• Plus1 1

black shirt........someone who practices and conditions at a very high level, week in and week out, never satisfied with their game performance level, always getting noticeably better each week. more gym time, more film time. more coach time.........F-ING RELENTLESS!

20 minutes ago, Hunter94 said:

black shirt........someone who practices and conditions at a very high level, week in and week out, never satisfied with their game performance level, always getting noticeably better each week. more gym time, more film time. more coach time.........F-ING RELENTLESS!

What if there's some 3rd and 4th stringers that match this criteria?  Do they still get a Blackshirt?

4 hours ago, The Dude said:

What if there's some 3rd and 4th stringers that match this criteria?  Do they still get a Blackshirt?

As long as we're winning and the defense is good, then yes, we are fine with it.

But if we do bad then that is obviously a poor strategy.

But if three coaching cycles from now we've gone through different Blackshirt strategies and we're optimistic again, then it was a fine decision all along and we're totally cool with the new coaching staff doing it that way.

Before blackshirts can be handed out we need to play some kick butt defense.  Nothing worse than ruining the meaning of a blackshirt then by putting on someone that has not earned it.  Get the defense fixed, get guys playing fast and then bring out the blackshirts as needed. Not everyone on defense needs one and it is a symbol of playing defense the way it is supposed to be played.  Until that is recognizable then dont hand them out.  

I don't know, I mean, it is really for the starting defense.

I used to give awards after each game, one for defense and one for offense.  We had an amazing run of kicking ass so it was easy.  Then we started to suck and after one game I said "I don't know if I will give out awards for this game, I have to think about it"

I thought about it and realized it was stupid...the kids played hard they just got beat by a better team...so come Monday at practice I gave out the awards.

I think I tried making it more than it was...

• Plus1 2

I like the dangle the carrot approach.  Make it special again- even if that means only giving out a couple this first season.  It should be something that is earned through great play, and great attitude- on and off the field.  I use the same approach in baseball from T-Ball through Legion and it flat works.  Sometimes it provides just a little extra motivation that pushes a player further than the competitiveness of the game would have taken them.