Trump hired Israeli intel firm to gather info on Americans

3 hours ago, Clifford Franklin said:

I like your utilitarian take on politics there, @VectorVictor. I dig that line about the most amount of good for the most people. Good way of looking at things.

I just wish we'd all render judgment equally. Liberals aren't without fault. There are plenty of areas for critique you could take up with Obama. His foreign policy in particular is a crapshoot. The Iran Deal isn't perfect (but I don't think we should withdraw from it, as we'll be doing later today, either). Libya was a clustef#ck that was handled very poorly strategically. Syria had a similarly poor outcome. Heavy drone use keeps troops off the ground but is ethically disgusting for the people we're using them on. It was dumb for Loretta Lynch to meet Bill Clinton on a tarmac given the circumstances.

But I don't know how somebody can look at this administration & not render the same judgments & criticisms. Nobody should get a pass just because we like their politics.

Thanks.

And to be clear, there is plenty of fault to go around for both sides...but if we were to sit down and objectively tally how much improvement to the greater good was passed by these politicians, you'd find that the ones that skew towards doing more right than wrong tend to be our more liberal politicians. But even they aren't without problems--narcissism (e.g. Nanci Peloisi) and selfishness springs to mind.

But I am encouraged by folks like Beto O'Rourke in Texass, who is literally traveling to every single county in person and holding town halls with everyone, regardless of political affiliation, to get their input and let them know that his goal is to do the most amount of good for his constituents and the country while he is in Washington. He's pretty moderate (he's a gun owner IIRC, but wants background checks, local law enforcement directly involved in evaluations and notifications, and to restrict ownership of semi-automatic non-hunting rifles (e.g. AR-15), but most importantly, he believes in the rule of law and working towards the greater good. 

Frankly, the fact that it's a race that's too close to call (Cruuuuuuz was leading by 3%, which is within the error of margin) is a testament to the excellent ground game and energy O'Rourke is putting forth. Oh, and have I mentioned that O'Rourke is taking nothing from PACs or Corporations, and his campaign is relying solely on donations from voters? Oh, and that O'Rourke is consistently outrasing Cruz every quarter?

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

If you're a "both sides" person you should be calling out both sides. Not defending Trump no matter what he does because "both sides" do it.

Agreed. Our cultural standards and integrity should not vacillate based on the political affiliation of whomever the office holder is. And yes, people are human and prone to err and messing up, so I'm also calling for every small/little failure to be punished to the fullest extent. The offense, the offender, and the scope all need to be taken into consideration. 

• Plus1 1

23 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

That doesn't sound like Cruz, so I'm assuming he mean O'Rourke.

28 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

Cruz isnt taking PAC money?

Yup, I messed that up. Fixed it. It's O'Rourke that isn't taking dirty, dirty PAC money or money from corporations. Just voters like you and I. 

BTW, he's down with even $5 if you can spare it. 

7 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Yup, I messed that up. Fixed it. It's O'Rourke that isn't taking dirty, dirty PAC money or money from corporations. Just voters like you and I. 

BTW, he's down with even $5 if you can spare it. 

I won't go into detail because said person uses this forum, but I need to offset something they received so my household isn't as culpable. So I was thinking of either donating to O'Rourke or Nunes' opponent after the primaries. I don't trust the DNC to distribute my funds properly, heh. They e-mail me all the time, I'm assuming because I joined Obama's e-mail list 11 years ago. I finally unsubscribed last week.

• Plus1 1
55 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I won't go into detail because said person uses this forum, but I need to offset something they received so my household isn't as culpable. So I was thinking of either donating to O'Rourke or Nunes' opponent after the primaries. I don't trust the DNC to distribute my funds properly, heh. They e-mail me all the time, I'm assuming because I joined Obama's e-mail list 11 years ago. I finally unsubscribed last week.

O'Rourke's campaign is using an app platform called Act Blue, and it takes PayPal. All of the money goes to the campaign, but you can leave a tip for the app developers to use to pay for their services and upkeep.

https://betofortexas.com/

https://secure.actblue.com/donate/beto-homepage?refcode=header-homepage&_ga=2.36948965.472123905.1525811357-1066720557.1525811357

To your point...

I think we'd be in a much better place if we had a lot of Beto's running for office across the country, on both sides of the aisle. I really like what he stands for & how he approaches politics.

The current crop of Democratic challengers seems to have a lot of fresh faces in this mold, so at least there's that.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

Yep, always give directly to the campaign itself & never give more info than you need to.

I kicked in a few bucks for various races in 2016 and now I NEVER stop getting phone calls all the time. Like 5-6 per day even with a spam blocker app. It's unreal.

13 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

The current crop of Democratic challengers seems to have a lot of fresh faces in this mold, so at least there's that.

First let's see how the primaries go, and then see what the Dems run on. Never underestimate the Dem Party ability to sabotage themselves.

52 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

I kicked in a few bucks for various races in 2016 and now I NEVER stop getting phone calls all the time. Like 5-6 per day even with a spam blocker app. It's unreal.

Read an article a bit ago about a guy who donated to Clinton's campaign and is STILL getting charged the monthly donation amount. He can't find a way to opt out of it.

That's super shady. No way a campaign that alleges they represent people should do anything like this. This is predatory, not representative.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Yep, always give directly to the campaign itself & never give more info than you need to.

Tell me more about this spam blocker app you speak of to deal with bs calls.  I'm getting 3-5 per day from an NYC number with a recording in chinese/japanese/korean.

7 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

Tell me more about this spam blocker app you speak of to deal with bs calls.  I'm getting 3-5 per day from an NYC number with a recording in chinese/japanese/korean.

It's called Hiya. It works pretty well at blocking calls when the caller hides their number, but doesn't usually do much for ones where you can see the number. But you do get a banner across your screen telling you who is likely calling (i.e., political, suspected spam, etc.). It's fairly obvious it's political though, as a lot of them come from DC and others are just scattered throughout different states, which I assume where different fundraising arms are based.

I'm loathe to do it because I usually just don't pick up on numbers I recognize, but I'm probably going to have to start just picking up & telling people to leave me alone.

@knapplc How terrible. I've heard a couple people telling of similar stories, rarely. I wonder if contacting their state AG could be of use? I know sometimes consumer complaints to the AG can get things done in cases of shady monetary practices.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Clifford Franklin said:

It's called Hiya. It works pretty well at blocking calls when the caller hides their number, but doesn't usually do much for ones where you can see the number. But you do get a banner across your screen telling you who is likely calling (i.e., political, suspected spam, etc.). It's fairly obvious it's political though, as a lot of them come from DC and others are just scattered throughout different states, which I assume where different fundraising arms are based.

I'm loathe to do it because I usually just don't pick up on numbers I recognize, but I'm probably going to have to start just picking up & telling people to leave me alone.

@knapplc How terrible. I've heard a couple people telling of similar stories, rarely. I wonder if contacting their state AG could be of use? I know sometimes consumer complaints to the AG can get things done in cases of shady monetary practices.

If you pick up that tells scammers call systems there is a person to actually reach on the other end and you'll see an increase not a decrease in calls.  These aren't people following the laws on telemarketing to begin with.

Another one is "Should I Answer?"  it sort of crowd sources these things, enough reports on a number will get it to auto-reject, and you can add things to a personal block-list if its not something the app has enough reports on.

• Plus1 2