New FieldTurf Being Installed on Outdoor Practice Field

7 hours ago, teachercd said:

Field Turf is supposed to be changed out like every 7 years or so...but a lot of that depends on the about of use.

Change to beautiful, softer, nice odor, cooler, natural grass sod with underground heat pipes in Osborne field?  Wishful thinking.

The-Secrets-of-Selling-Like-a-Skeazy-Sli

FieldTurf salesman

Cold weather or heavy rain problems?  BS.

nm2.jpg

At Michigan St and Penn St in November.  No problems.

And NFL open field stadiums?  Install or replacement with natural grass instead of fake turf: Arrowhead, Denver Broncos, Redskins, Chicago Bears, Steelers, Green Bay, Cleveland Browns, Eagles, and some more.

Hawks field surface ?

Bob Stoops and Lincoln Riley refused to use crappy FieldTurf surface. (OU natural grass).  Joined by Alabama, Clemson, LSU, Georgia, etc .... all natural grass.

b8b091aec33b40024f6b4c02323d3833--oklaho

34 minutes ago, Hooked on Huskers said:

Change to beautiful, softer, nice odor, cooler, natural grass sod with underground heat pipes in Osborne field?  Wishful thinking.

FieldTurf salesman

And then november hits and the grass looks like poop

4 hours ago, Hooked on Huskers said:

FieldTurf salesman

Cold weather or heavy rain problems?  BS.

nm2.jpg

At Michigan St and Penn St in November.  No problems.

And NFL open field stadiums?  Install or replacement with natural grass instead of fake turf: Arrowhead, Denver Broncos, Redskins, Chicago Bears, Steelers, Green Bay, Cleveland Browns, Eagles, and some more.

Hawks field surface ?

Bob Stoops and Lincoln Riley refused to use crappy FieldTurf surface. (OU natural grass).  Joined by Alabama, Clemson, LSU, Georgia, etc .... all natural grass.

b8b091aec33b40024f6b4c02323d3833--oklaho

As a Steelers' fan, I can report that it is voted one of the worst fields year after year by the players.  They also resod it every November because Heinz Field not only hosts the Steelers and Panthers, but also high school playoff games.  

• Plus1 1

18 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Maybe they can put some under my elm tree in the back yard - can't get anything to last under that densely shaded tree. :angry:

There are a few cool season grasses that will grow in the shade, but if you don't need grass, there are tons of ground covers that thrive in the shade.

2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

There are a few cool season grasses that will grow in the shade, but if you don't need grass, there are tons of ground covers that thrive in the shade.

Thanks RD - I've been using dense shade fescue.  Due to Okla heat - it fades out mid summer even wt watering.  I may try a mondo grass or ivy next -- or get radical and just build a big

wood deck under the tree.

8 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Thanks RD - I've been using dense shade fescue.  Due to Okla heat - it fades out mid summer even wt watering.  I may try a mondo grass or ivy next -- or get radical and just build a big

Keep in mind that grasses are supposed to go dormant during summer heat, especially cool season that survive well in shade. And I'd recommend a mix of ground covers if you go that route. A mix adapts well to varying conditions so that you very rarely have bare ground showing. (And a few weeds will blend in, so less weeding for looks!)

EDIT: And there are cool season vegetables and other plants that will grow in shade and produce food.

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

Keep in mind that grasses are supposed to go dormant during summer heat, especially cool season that survive well in shade. And I'd recommend a mix of ground covers if you go that route. A mix adapts well to varying conditions so that you very rarely have bare ground showing. (And a few weeds will blend in, so less weeding for looks!)

Good idea.

Now

:backtotopic

3 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Bermuda can't handle shade.  Need at least 8 hours full sun.

hqdefault.jpg

Drugs=FieldTurf chemicals

Sparty has a 2 year sports turf management program, they're one of the top schools for stadium turf. It's pretty crazy the lengths they go to in their own stadium.

Complete grass replacement after U2 concert

But we're farmers too. And that's what farming is, growing stuff, in this case, grass. I'm positive we can grow two acres of grass as good as anyone else.

1 hour ago, Gage County said:

Sparty has a 2 year sports turf management program, they're one of the top schools for stadium turf. It's pretty crazy the lengths they go to in their own stadium.

Complete grass replacement after U2 concert

But we're farmers too. And that's what farming is, growing stuff, in this case, grass. I'm positive we can grow two acres of grass as good as anyone else.

Nebraska actually produces and sells a ton of grass.  Along the Mizzu river and the Elkhorn there are huge turf farms.  Rich people pay high dollar to not grass their big new houses.  UNL also owns a huge research farm north of Ashland which would be perfect.