The Danger of Hype

The media always drives the narrative when it comes to hype to gain clicks/views. Scott Frost know this, so they'll focus on themselves most importantly. He just won't isolate the media like some people or coddle his players. Work hard, prepare and practice hard, and let the chips fall where they may. Everything sorts itself out in the end. All they can control is the work that they put in because football eventually rewards you back for it.

9 minutes ago, NUance said:

So this thread is about Tanner Lee?  And here I thought it was going to be about all the bold talk going on since the Spring Game.  :dunno

He was sprinkled in there it appears to derail the thread which is pretty much about the media driving the hype train again.

3 minutes ago, FTW said:

He was sprinkled in there it appears to derail the thread which is pretty much about the media driving the hype train again.

The OP is about an interview of Tanner Lee's mother where she talks about how dangerous hype can be in relation to the preseason hype surrounding the guy. It's not an attempt to derail the thread... it's what the thread is about.

I thought using Nebraska as the subject for the dangers of hype was odd.  Yes, there were a few boos directed at Lee, specifically at the Northern Illinois game when he was so obviously not ready to compete, but Riley kept putting him out there.  The fans around us (us included) just wanted him benched for a series or two if for no other reason than to clear his head, but whatever.  Yeah, I'm sure it's hard for a mom to hear boos directed at her kid, but if I'm writing an article about how bad fans can be toward their own players, Nebraska isn't the place I'm starting. 

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, teachercd said:

I can still remember watching the first game last year and thinking that the season would be just fine...looking back on it now that game was pretty darn close to another loss.

I guess I don't think you can blame the whole 4-8 season in 2018 on Tanner Lee.  He was definitely a part of that season, but the defense is probably more culpable in that regards.  If Mark Banker is the DC instead of Diaco they probably win 3 more games last year.   

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, NUinID said:

I guess I don't think you can blame the whole 4-8 season in 2018 on Tanner Lee.  He was definitely a part of that season, but the defense is probably more culpable in that regards.  If Mark Banker is the DC instead of Diaco they probably win 3 more games last year.   

How bout all that Diaco hype?? Man he was terrible at coaching defense here. Its beyond explination.

• Plus1 3
11 minutes ago, NUinID said:

I agree with that...I feel like Banker was a scapegoat.  At least he had a clear plan STOP THE RUN...Coach Bobby was sort of exposed.

3 hours ago, Redux said:

It's not dangerous, it's just insanely frustrating when you have to watch the hype train completely derail into a 4-8 train wreck when it didn't have to be that way.

If there had been no hype for Lee or Diaco do you think last year would’ve been easier to swallow?

1 hour ago, NUance said:

So this thread is about Tanner Lee?  And here I thought it was going to be about all the bold talk going on since the Spring Game.  :dunno

No this thread is about the danger of hype. Lee just happened to be used as an example. Think of all the other past players in Nebraska football history who were hyped up the wazzu and ended up big fat busts!

18 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

How bout all that Diaco hype?? Man he was terrible at coaching defense here. Its beyond explination.

Very true, and I bought the hype.  I thought our defense was going to look like something we see out of Wisconsin.  Our defense this year will resemble more what they do at Wisconsin than what Diaco put out there.  He didn't put the defense into any type of a position to be successful.