The Danger of Hype

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Agreed.  The media were watching practice and all up in his jock about every throw. They were the major fuel for that fire, and I recall just before the season started that Langsdorf said like a week before the first game that they needed to ramp down the crazy expectations. 

That's why I thought it was silly McKewon and a couple of others were crtitical about the lack of access this spring... how 'being able to report on practice helped qualm the message board hype/rumors.' As much as I want to know what's going on, there's no reason anybody should care about message board hype. McKewon reported on more practice details than just about anyone and could easily be considered the top instigator in the whole thing, whether or not that was his intent.

Outside of fans/media though, the scouting reports and the Manning camp coverage didn't help TLee in the end, either.

• Plus1 2

My thoughts on Lee’s mom’s comment is....your son was just drafted into the NFL. If his dream comes true and he becomes the starter down the road making a lot of money, you are going to look back and think the Nebraska hype was nothing. 

Hype is is good for the program. When media is talking about a Husker player, recruits are hearing about our program in a positive way. 

28 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Hype is is good for the program. When media is talking about a Husker player, recruits are hearing about our program in a positive way. 

Not to mention, there's always that element of 'this is big time, division one college football.' I can certainly understand a mother/father feeling heartbroken for their child getting booed by someone else. I would hate to see that if I was a parent. But, in the other hand, this isn't high school anymore. College football is a multi-billion dollar business.

I guess I should step back a bit too and say I've never booed at Memorial Stadium or any sporting event. It's just not my thing. I've yelled or screamed something like 'what the hell' if there's been a bad play call or one of the referees made a really bad call, but that's it.

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

Not to mention, there's always that element of 'this is big time, division one college football.' I can certainly understand a mother/father feeling heartbroken for their child getting booed by someone else. I would hate to see that if I was a parent. But, in the other hand, this isn't high school anymore. College football is a multi-billion dollar business.

I guess I should step back a bit too and say I've never booed at Memorial Stadium or any sporting event. It's just not my thing. I've yelled or screamed something like 'what the hell' if there's been a bad play call or one of the referees made a really bad call, but that's it.

My son just finished his high school basketball career. 

My my wife and I knew certain people in the stands we couldn’t sit by because they would say stuff and didn’t care who was sitting around them. 

I fully understand a parents feelings when their kid is on the court and things are said. 

It also is natural for a parent to be nervous or concerned when people they don’t even know put pressure on your kid to perform. 

But, like you said, this is FBS football and now he is in the NFL getting paid. Pressure to perform is part of the job. 

Another thought:

If fan expectations bother you, there are plenty of schools you can play for that don't have them. If Lee didn't want to be at a place that has them, he could have stayed at Tulane.

I don't see how recruits can visit here (where recruits have said fans already know their names) or know anything about the school and not realize this might happen. Especially as a QB.

• Plus1 3

I think hype can be an exciting thing like when players are hyped, come to Nebraska and live up to their hype-(Tommy Frazier would be an example),but can also be an embarrassing thing.  Think of all the players that have been hyped and flopped-Sam Keller/Harrison Beck would be examples.   I've never been a fan of the hype of the 'star' system because I've seen it flop not only at Nebraska but at other schools as well. I would rather see a kid come in, play well and EARN some hype!/:bigredn:

On 5/8/2018 at 8:01 PM, ladyhawke said:

I listened to an interesting discussion on 1620 the Zone today on the dangers of hype.  There was an article from Land of Ten that was cited during the discussion where Tanner Lee's mom shared that she was so scared of all the hype surrounding her son before he had even played at Nebraska. (https://www.landof10.com/nebraska/nebraska-football-tanner-lee-nfl-draft-2018-nfl-mothers-day) The broadcaster (I think if was Nick Bahs (sp?) said that he bought into the hype surrounding Tanner Lee because reputable scouts had said how good he was.  He shared that we as fans and the sportswriters, etc. forget that under the helmet with the red N is a person-a son or a brother and alluded to the fact that hype could be dangerous.

As I listened to the discussion I thought of all the players drafted for Nebraska or coaches that have come to Nebraska and the hype that surrounded them.  Nick B. clarified that Scott Frost and other veteran players for Nebraska are exempt as they EARNED their hype.  He was  talking about players that were hyped up before they even did anything at Nebraska and how after they got here and played/coached it was a disaster.   So my question is this to Huskerboard: Is hype dangerous?  Inquiring minds want to know.

Hype isn't dangerous.  It is a normal thing and inherently in-grained in all sports fans.

For the record, I think only a small, single-digit, percentage of Husker fans were truly "hyped" about Tanner Lee.  Most were, I think, looking to Patrick O'Brien to win the job.

I had my reservations about Tanner Lee despite the hype.  However, I figured he was recruited specifically for Mike Riley's WCO so if the coaches thought he was all that...then okay.  I think most of us (exceptions duly noted) took a wait and see approach.  It is always a concern when you take a kid (especially at the QB position) who transfers from a school like Tulane.

2 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

For the record, I think only a small, single-digit, percentage of Husker fans were truly "hyped" about Tanner Lee.  Most were, I think, looking to Patrick O'Brien to win the job.

I think fans were expecting that more in 2016 than 2017.

• Plus1 1