Ranking the top 25 Power Five college football coaches entering the 2018 season

YOU'RE NEVER GOING TO GUESS WHO'S #1 THAT'S RIGHT IT'S NICK SABAN SHOCK EMOJI ZZZOMGGGGG!!1!

But for realsies after that.  This is yet more hype for the Frost Train.  Choo-Choo!

Ranking the top 25 Power Five college football coaches entering the 2018 season

Who is the best coach in the Power Five conferences? Well, unless you've been living under a rock for the last 20 years, odds are you know who checked in at No. 1. But what about the rest?

Continuing a tradition at CBS Sports over the last few years, we ranked all 65 coaches (including Notre Dame's Brian Kelly) individually and tallied the results. I'm not sure how my colleagues based their rankings, but my approach was likely similar to theirs. I took into account all that a coach has accomplished, and then I considered which coach I'd want to hire the most were I an athletic director with deep pockets and a vacancy to fill.

The results are as follows (you can check Nos. 65-26 by clicking here).

team logo
Scott Frost: Our voters think Nebraska's made a significant upgrade at coach this season. Mike Riley finished at No. 38 in these rankings, and Frost enters his first season in Lincoln at No. 21. That fictional "national championship" boost is real. 2017 rank: n/a

For giggles:::::::::::::::::

team logo
Kirk Ferentz: You could make the argument that Ferentz's teams have a similar ceiling as Leach's, but the biggest difference is that Ferentz has won two Big Ten titles and played in three BCS/New Year's Six games. Leach's next conference title or NY6 bowl will be his first. 2017 rank: 20 (-3)

Suck it, Iowegians.

• Plus1 2

11 hours ago, knapplc said:

Leach's next conference title or NY6 bowl will be his first. 

I guess that's kind of true? But they made the Cotton Bowl in 2008 with an 11-1 record, and the Cotton Bowl is a NY6 bowl now.

8 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Iowa hasn't won an outright conference title since 1985....misleading piece on Ferentz 

It's a correct reference/stat. Co-championships count as championships. Osborne had 4 of them. 

1 hour ago, Landlord said:

I guess that's kind of true? But they made the Cotton Bowl in 2008 with an 11-1 record, and the Cotton Bowl is a NY6 bowl now.

It's a correct reference/stat. Co-championships count as championships. Osborne had 4 of them. 

I mean yeah, but Osborne also had plenty of outright championships as well soooo

• Plus1 1

10 hours ago, Dilly Dilly said:

How the ____ did MR finish in the 30's?

That doesn't make sense to me, either. I first assumed the 38th place ranking was a pre-season ranking prior to the 2017 season, and I could see somebody giving him that ranking after the nine win season. But, they're wording it like that was his ranking after last season. 

No way a coach can get 4-8 at a place like Nebraska and finish a season ranked in the 30's, even when so well-liked as MR.

38 minutes ago, Enhance said:

That doesn't make sense to me, either. I first assumed the 38th place ranking was a pre-season ranking prior to the 2017 season, and I could see somebody giving him that ranking after the nine win season. But, they're wording it like that was his ranking after last season. 

No way a coach can get 4-8 at a place like Nebraska and finish a season ranked in the 30's, even when so well-liked as MR.

I think its bad wording. The rankings following this last season would be these rankings here. MR was ranked 38th in their last iteration of the poll following the 2016 season.

I went back to last years article and confimed this to be true

• Plus1 1

Related, this Oklahoma reporter, asks can Frost revive Nebraska.  Barry Tramel has written several articles favorable to NU in years past.  I believe, if he had his wish, OU/NU rivalry would have continued.  In the article he details how great we were (the Alabama of our day) to how far we have fallen since then.

https://m.newsok.com/article/5593960/can-scott-frost-revive-nebraska-football