Tim Miles: “If We Dont Lose Anyone We’re A Top 35 Team”

54 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

My only concern is we felt that way after our tournament season and the wheels fell off.

Teams adjust and get tape on teams. 

While we dont lose any massive pieces, we do lose some depth. I hope we can fill the last scholly opening with a grad transfer who can play right away down low.

• Plus1 2

Tim Miles: “If We Don't Lose To Anyone We’re A Top 35 Team”

FFA

Even if we go undefeated, we'd be hard pressed as a program to crack the Top 40, but I appreciate Miles' enthusiasm and willful naivety.

We just need to realize we're not Duke, Kansas, North Carolina, Villanova, Michigan, or any other basketball school that has failed to obtain base competence in another sport, and that we'll be on the outside looking in for the NCAA Tourney if we don't lose to anyone. 

• Plus1 1

52 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

My only concern is we felt that way after our tournament season and the wheels fell off.

Teams adjust and get tape on teams. 

While we dont lose any massive pieces, we do lose some depth. I hope we can fill the last scholly opening with a grad transfer who can play right away down low.

What depth?  Okie never played very much and Taylor & Gill were on the floor, but disappeared during most of the games.  I think we have some youth that will play as good if not better.

Assuming everyone is back I think the key to next year is Watson.  The big "worry" with Watson coming out of high school was that his game was pretty much as developed as it was going to be and add in the fact that he is not a freak athlete you have seen what you are getting with him.  I think he might have hit his ceiling.  

Reading between the lines...if we do lose somebody then the wheels fall off?

Doesn't say much for a coach that has been here as long as he has been. If I were him I'd be hoping, praying and working extremely hard for that top 35 because it should be his last chance. Need to make the dance and win at least one game in it imo.

8 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Assuming everyone is back I think the key to next year is Watson.  The big "worry" with Watson coming out of high school was that his game was pretty much as developed as it was going to be and add in the fact that he is not a freak athlete you have seen what you are getting with him.  I think he might have hit his ceiling.  

I think his biggest problem is not getting into the offense.  It also appears that he does not like physical defense, so some off season work in the weight room would help.   This his final year, so its on Glen to come ready to play.

Just now, SouthLincoln Husker said:

I think his biggest problem is not getting into the offense.  It also appears that he does not like physical defense, so some off season work in the weight room would help.   This his final year, so its on Glen to come ready to play.

Yeah, bigger guards can really bump him around and quicker guards can break him down off the bounce.  It will be interesting to see how his last year goes.

1 hour ago, TonyStalloni said:

I'm hoping the players that stay get better and Allen becomes the 3 point shooter we need.  If he can pull defenses out it will make our slashers more effective.

Nana appears to have a pretty decent shot.  Of course that's based on what I saw last year in warm ups.  I know he didn't show much in his limited time, but it's hard to gage of 2-3 minutes with the walk ons at the end of a game.

22 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

For him to do well, he seems to need to be the focal point of the offense, which he wasn't last year with Palmer and Cope and it seemed like he regressed.  Hopefully he can find his role in this offense with the two of them (assuming they both come back) this upcoming season.