Tim Miles: “If We Dont Lose Anyone We’re A Top 35 Team”

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Roby will be interesting...lots of film on him now.

I think he is a kid who will work hard this summer and fall improving on the areas he wasn't good at, increasing his strength and gaining the confidence he needs to lead this team. He can make threes but he is sometimes hesitant to take them because if he misses we often have no good rebounder inside. If everyone stays I think we can be as good or better than last year.

4 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

What depth?  Okie never played very much and Taylor & Gill were on the floor, but disappeared during most of the games.  I think we have some youth that will play as good if not better.

You are kidding yourself if you dont think that Taylor was a key depth player. 

Gill was hot and cold but he had a role.

Duby.. well, Duby was hot/cold, but who replaces his minutes(even if they were limited). Heimann probably not. Maybe Tanner?

Who takes over Taylors minutes- Allen? Evan averaged 25 minutes a game.  Allen was at almost 10 min a game. I assume he takes a step up.

Gill average 25 minutes a game. 

Who takes Gill's minutes? We know nothing about what Nana or Thorir can do and I am not sold on either doing a ton.

Not saying those guys cant be replaced, because they can be but it was still nice having some veteran depth. We will have 3 sophomores trying to replace some key minutes.

4 hours ago, Minnesota_husker said:

You are kidding yourself if you dont think that Taylor was a key depth player. 

Gill was hot and cold but he had a role.

Duby.. well, Duby was hot/cold, but who replaces his minutes(even if they were limited). Heimann probably not. Maybe Tanner?

Who takes over Taylors minutes- Allen? Evan averaged 25 minutes a game.  Allen was at almost 10 min a game. I assume he takes a step up.

Gill average 25 minutes a game. 

Who takes Gill's minutes? We know nothing about what Nana or Thorir can do and I am not sold on either doing a ton.

Not saying those guys cant be replaced, because they can be but it was still nice having some veteran depth. We will have 3 sophomores trying to replace some key minutes.

Minutes played due not qualify as meaningful.  If we had any help from either one, we would have been in the dance or won a few games in the nit.

On 5/11/2018 at 10:38 PM, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Minutes played due not qualify as meaningful.  If we had any help from either one, we would have been in the dance or won a few games in the nit.

I think Taylor played meaningful minutes. No he didnt load up the box score but he was a nice piece off the bench.

I am not saying that Allen cant replace some aspectsof him but Taylor was a nice role/depth player which was my original argument.

No in regards to Nana or Thorir suddenly playing 20+ minutes... I just dont see them going from almost no playing time to that much. Whatever they showed Miles gave him zero faith and I dont think that suddenly.changes.

The fact is, freshmen that don't play a lot but didn't redshirt are usually not playing for a reason.

Miles played those guys a little bit, saw what he saw and realized that his is going to try and recruit over them.  If he can, great, if not, those guys will sit the bench.  

If Thor and/or Nana have figured out the defensive end they could play 20+ minutes. Preseason last year Miles said they were both having issues on that end. It's hard to say how much either improved over the course of the season because of limited playing time. They clearly weren't as good as Taylor or Gill, but they were our two best defenders according to Miles. They will both get a chance to prove they deserve to play a lot this year. I think both will be better offensively than Taylor/Gill, but who knows about the other end of the floor.

On 5/11/2018 at 12:52 PM, VectorVictor said:

FFA

Even if we go undefeated, we'd be hard pressed as a program to crack the Top 40, but I appreciate Miles' enthusiasm and willful naivety.

On 5/11/2018 at 12:57 PM, Landlord said:

That's absurd.

2a8ru1.jpg

I'm being sarcastic, of course. 

Kinda.

On 5/13/2018 at 7:10 AM, ECisGod said:

If Thor and/or Nana have figured out the defensive end they could play 20+ minutes. Preseason last year Miles said they were both having issues on that end. It's hard to say how much either improved over the course of the season because of limited playing time. They clearly weren't as good as Taylor or Gill, but they were our two best defenders according to Miles. They will both get a chance to prove they deserve to play a lot this year. I think both will be better offensively than Taylor/Gill, but who knows about the other end of the floor.

While minutes are there to be had, Miles has proven he will just add more on guys he trusts.

Look at Jack McVeigh. Dude was a defensive liability and never saw the court... We could have used what we thought was a good shooter and he didnt see time.

I am not saying that Thor/Nana cant or wont see time but it should be telling how far off both are based on how little they played last year.

I am not saying both guys are basically buried on the roster, but I would be fairly shocked if either make an impact at Nebraska this season. 

I see us rolling with 3 guards more.

This can change if Palmer doesnt come back and we are forced to play guys.

37 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

While minutes are there to be had, Miles has proven he will just add more on guys he trusts.

Look at Jack McVeigh. Dude was a defensive liability and never saw the court... We could have used what we thought was a good shooter and he didnt see time.

I am not saying that Thor/Nana cant or wont see time but it should be telling how far off both are based on how little they played last year.

I am not saying both guys are basically buried on the roster, but I would be fairly shocked if either make an impact at Nebraska this season. 

I see us rolling with 3 guards more.

This can change if Palmer doesnt come back and we are forced to play guys.

McVeigh's problem was foot speed (or lack thereof).  Nana definitely doesn't have that problem it was more understanding of defensive concepts (help defense specifically) & hopefully he has figured those out.  Thor is a little harder to gage.  He is clearly quicker than McVeigh, but might not be quick enough to play in the B1G.

I agree that we will continue to play small most of the time (unless Jordy makes a HUGE improvement).  Both Nana & Thor are listed as guards so either they have to play, Jordy gets a lot more minutes or Davis/Harris come in an play right away.

Nana should be able to play a wing position with his size & quickness.  I think he has a chance to back up Palmer which should get him 10-12 minutes per game & he might get a few minutes in other places with Palmer on the floor.  He's looks like a decent shooter (based on warm ups) & everyone knows we need shooters to space the floor.

• Plus1 1
On 5/11/2018 at 12:45 PM, TonyStalloni said:

I'm hoping the players that stay get better and Allen becomes the 3 point shooter we need.  If he can pull defenses out it will make our slashers more effective.

That would be a dream scenario for Allen to develop into the “Rey Gallegos Role”

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, ECisGod said:

McVeigh's problem was foot speed (or lack thereof).  Nana definitely doesn't have that problem it was more understanding of defensive concepts (help defense specifically) & hopefully he has figured those out.  Thor is a little harder to gage.  He is clearly quicker than McVeigh, but might not be quick enough to play in the B1G.

I agree that we will continue to play small most of the time (unless Jordy makes a HUGE improvement).  Both Nana & Thor are listed as guards so either they have to play, Jordy gets a lot more minutes or Davis/Harris come in an play right away.

Nana should be able to play a wing position with his size & quickness.  I think he has a chance to back up Palmer which should get him 10-12 minutes per game & he might get a few minutes in other places with Palmer on the floor.  He's looks like a decent shooter (based on warm ups) & everyone knows we need shooters to space the floor.

I agree, as we have never had good luck with foreign players.  Nana has the athletic ability and younger players need a year to catch with speed of the game.  And before someone says anything, quite often we do not get the players Kansas or Kentucky gets.  We need to keep winning to get these type of players.