1. 1. Choose your win!

• 2015 Michigan State
    • 2015 UCLA
    • 2016 Wyoming
    • 2016 Oregon
    • 2017 Purdue
    • Other (Explain your choice)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/19/2018 at 04:59 AM

Gonna try something new for the offseason: let's find out which win of the Mike Riley era (error?) is considered the best by the board. I've gone through each season's schedule and pulled 5 games that could be considered the best wins of Riley's tenure. We can debate for a week, put it to a vote and decide. If there is a game that isn't listed, vote for "other", and explain your choice. 

Note 1: I'm planning on doing a "Worst Loss" thread as well

Note 2: The Riley era was so bad, I originally had two losses in the "Best Win" column. 

Game 1: 2015 Michigan State http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400763560

- This game was marked by a wonderful drive by Tommy Armstrong at the end of the game, driving the offense down and scoring with less than a minute left on a controversial TD pass to Brandon Reilly. 

Game 2: 2015 UCLA http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400852720

- This game was RtDB guy's wet dream. Armstrong, Ozigbo and Cross pounded the UCLA defense, with 46 carries between the three. Also marked by a controversial ejection of Nate Gerry on a pitch-perfect tackle in the second quarter. 

Game 3: 2016 Wyoming http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400869187

- Most points scored in the Riley era. Armstrong throws for almost 400 yards, and the defense picks future first rounder Josh Allen off 5 times. 

Game 4: 2016 Oregon http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400869113

- Riley finally gets a win over Oregon. Marked by another gusty performance by Armstrong, scoring the go-ahead TD from 34 yards out with roughly 2 minutes left. 

Game 5: 2017 Purdue http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400935395

- The final win of 2017 was punctuated by a comeback led by Tanner Lee with under one minute left. 

• Plus1 3

54 minutes ago, Dilly Dilly said:

Best win:  getting Frost.  /end thread.

Agree. None of those wins were against premier teams. In 3 years, we are reduced between Sparty and a mediocre Oregon team on its way down as our best win. As Dilly Dilly said, the best win was the timing of MR's 4-8 season coinciding with Frost's UCF turnaround. 

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

Agree. None of those wins were against premier teams. In 3 years, we are reduced between Sparty and a mediocre Oregon team on its way to mediocrity as our best win. As Dilly Dilly said, the best win was the timing of MR's 4-8 season coinciding with Frost's UCF turnaround. 

2015 Michigan State won the B1G and made it to the CFB Playoff.

• Plus1 8
8 minutes ago, Landlord said:

2015 Michigan State won the B1G and made it to the CFB Playoff.

Never ever should Nebraska respect Sparty! Sparty is Michigan's little brother. The 2015 team was a farce. They were curb stomped in the playoffs. Soon Sparty will expect and get beatdowns from the Huskers, just like 1995 and 1996.

2015 Michigan State finished 12-2 vs. the 30th toughest schedule

2015 UCLA finished 8-5 against the 34th toughest schedule

2016 Wyoming finished 8-6 against the 74th toughest schedule

2016 Oregon finished 4-8 against the 16th toughest schedule

2017 Purdue finished 7-6 against the 42nd toughest schedule

I voted for the Michigan State game, but mostly that was because of the party afterward. That was one hell of a cathartic win. I understand the argument above that Michigan State was overrated, but at the time we needed a win, especially after the Wisconsin, Purdue, Illinois and Northwestern games, and having six losses by a total of like 20 points. The DJ played 'Let Me Clear My Throat' after Janovich's TD against Wisconsin and we were all ready to celebrate a win, only to have them take away. Again.

So when we won that Michigan State game, it was fun. It was the best feeling, I think, of the Riley Era. Every other win seemed like a struggle, usually against lesser opponents.  Michigan State was a good team. Not great, not memorable. But good. And we beat them at a time when a win was not only improbable, but almost universally accepted as impossible.

2016 Oregon was nice because Nice Mike Riley finally got a win against his long-time arch nemesis.  So we all felt good for a good guy.  But that team was not good, and we struggled with them. 

• Plus1 3

I see why everyone is saying the Michigan State win was overrated or maybe even a loss in reality, but I voted for it just based on how it felt. Was extremely satisfying and we received a lot of national pub for it.

And while the era was a major kick in the nuts, the players (at least the ones that always showed up and played hard) deserved that win. I’d vote the UCLA bowl game 2nd just because it felt like the most complete game of the Riley era.