1. 1. Choose your win!

• 2015 Michigan State
    • 2015 UCLA
    • 2016 Wyoming
    • 2016 Oregon
    • 2017 Purdue
    • Other (Explain your choice)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/19/2018 at 04:59 AM

14 hours ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Best win of the Riley debacle era?

giphy.gif

All of the players that worked their butts off and put their bodies on the lines probably care at least a little, for starters.

12 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

By definition, any team a MR team has beaten is not great.

Why do you keep saying such silly things? 

10 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

But we only knew that AFTER the fact...

Agreed.  And even now, it doesn't change the game for me.  Sure it would have been way cooler had Oregon won their conference, oh well.

12 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

By definition, any team a MR team has beaten is not great.

MSU 2015 was a pretty great team, they just had a big hiccup in Lincoln that year.  Happens to many great teams regardless of opposing coach.

1 hour ago, Landlord said:

All of the players that worked their butts off and put their bodies on the lines probably care at least a little, for starters.

You're right, there's probably a few players that cared and worked their butts off. But my comment (funny gif) was intended for the average fan/person/message board poster.  IMO the last 20 years of Husker football has been painfully unremarkable.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Comfortably Numb said:

You're right, there's probably a few players that cared and worked their butts off. But my comment (funny gif) was intended for the average fan/person/message board poster.  IMO the last 20 years of Husker football has been painfully unremarkable.

I feel like he knew that, don't you?

• Plus1 1
On May 12, 2018 at 2:57 PM, NebraskaHarry said:

3 years of Mike Riley football and there are only three games Nebraska won that I remember. 2015 UCLA, 2016 Oregon and 2015 Michigan St. Everything else I'm like, "Did Nebraska win that game?". Yeesh. 

I remember all of them, they just don't feel like wins. That's almost certainly because I never gave him a chance from the beginning, admittedly. It's also because his job, the reason that hire specifically was made, was to turn the corner from 9 wins. In my mind, that's what every performance was judged by. Not that performance at that time, but that performance through the lense of promise. 

In that light, one can easily argue Frost is further ahead in one spring than Riley was in 3 years. Obviously all the pieces aren't there and players have a ways to go, but there was a game environment in which the players executed the schemes according to the grand vision. The entire Riley tenure was: "we are not running this because...". Frost's first spring was: "we are doing this because...".

Nothing feels like like a win unless it's building towards your goals. The three listed in this quote come closest, but none of the three feel like the potential of Mike Riley is being tapped into. They don't feel like his vision is on display, to be replicated down the road. Mike Riley had one of the toughest jobs in coaching, not to build but to improve upon. He never came close to winning.

• Plus1 1

On 5/11/2018 at 11:17 PM, Moiraine said:

You must not watch a lot of college football.

You are right a MR coached team is not college football. More like high school or maybe even junior high. :) By the way, I think watching the Huskers since the late 60s has shaded my judgement. Compared to our 5 MNC teams, there are only a couple other non-MNC teams I consider great, and I don't even consider all MNC teams to be great. For example, I don't consider the 1984 BYU team to be great.  I don't consider the 2001 Husker team to be great, and that team was comparable to sparty.

I'm one of the small minority of people who voted the UCLA win over the Sparty win.  My reasoning:  I'm a Husker fan first and foremost.  But I'm also a B1G fan.  When we played Michigan State we already had six losses.  Our season was in the toilet.  The Sparty win didn't salvage our season.  And it almost knocked them out of the FBS playoff.  (Maybe it would have been better if it'd knocked them out of the playoff since Bama whooped Sparty by five TDs.  Ouch!).  As for the UCLA win, it ended a crappy season on a high note, and gave us a bit of momentum going into the final month of recruiting.  /jmho   

• Plus1 1