States That Are The Best/Worst Tippers

Across the U.S., Discover found the highest tippers are in Wyoming, Idaho, and Nebraska, while the worst were in Arkansas, Nevada, and Montana. Generally, those who lived in New England as well as East South Central region (Tennessee, Kentucky, Mississippi, and Alabama) tipped the highest—about 17% on average.

Link

Also, the chart on how much people tip different types of service-providers is interesting.  Apparently I don't always tip people I should.

I wish we'd get rid of sub-minimum-wage and just pay everyone and build the price into the cost. No more tipping - just bill me and I'll pay it. And while I'm on a rant, let's put taxes into the published price of stuff. SHOW THE REAL PRICE, DAMMIT!!! Canada has their taxes built into the price, surely we can do it here.

• Plus1 1
On 5/12/2018 at 7:51 AM, Moiraine said:

Tipping doesn't make sense to me unless the person is paid below minimum wage. Although I don't know what a pizza delivery person gets paid and I still tip them. I'm assuming they also make something like $3/hour since the waitresses at a pizza place would make that.

pizza delivery drivers make minimum wage. delivery drivers dont have the volume most waiters/waitresses have in a restaurants do. pizza places also dont lower their prices because they arent paying 2-3 dollars for help and letting their tips make up the difference. (the employer is responsible for making up the difference between the $2-3 wage and tips if it doesnt equal minimum wage. and not sure if that is before or after their tip sharing.)

now, before you stop tipping them, remember they are most likely using their own vehicle (company doesnt pay maintenance, just a nominal amount per delivery for gas) and going out in adverse conditions when you dont want to. they also remember who tips and doesnt. tippers get better service.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, desertshox said:

pizza delivery drivers make minimum wage. delivery drivers dont have the volume most waiters/waitresses have in a restaurants do. pizza places also dont lower their prices because they arent paying 2-3 dollars for help and letting their tips make up the difference. (the employer is responsible for making up the difference between the $2-3 wage and tips if it doesnt equal minimum wage. and not sure if that is before or after their tip sharing.)

now, before you stop tipping them, remember they are most likely using their own vehicle (company doesnt pay maintenance, just a nominal amount per delivery for gas) and going out in adverse conditions when you dont want to. they also remember who tips and doesnt. tippers get better service.

I probably wouldn't have anyway. Partly because the bold and partly because they still don't get paid much. It's just that lots of people don't get paid much and don't get tips. I've also always tipped extra if the weather isn't great.

One thing I didn't know any better on until a few years ago is tipping for carry out. I think it was just the logic of the thing. At most, someone is putting my food in a box. They don't have to smile at me or bring me water or anything like that, so it didn't occur to me to tip. But I've started doing it because I figure a lot of those people are getting less than minimum wage and that annoys me.

On 5/12/2018 at 8:56 AM, RedDenver said:

I wish we'd get rid of sub-minimum-wage and just pay everyone and build the price into the cost. No more tipping - just bill me and I'll pay it. And while I'm on a rant, let's put taxes into the published price of stuff. SHOW THE REAL PRICE, DAMMIT!!! Canada has their taxes built into the price, surely we can do it here.

I would like that too!

Also, I have gone through tipping stages in my life...I was a bad tipper at one point, then I was the over-tipper, now I am in the middle.

If I go into a place to eat, like a pizza or sandwich shop, I will typically tip a dollar or two simply because I know they're more than likely making 7.25 per hour (Idaho's minimum wage).

For delivery though, on an average 20 dollar order, I will tip at least 5 bucks.  What pisses me off though are these pizza places that charge 2-3 dollars for a "delivery fee."  So a 17 dollar pizza ends up being about 21 dollars (prior to tip).  Grrr.  The worst part is that delivery fee isn't paid to the driver, it's just another way business owners increase profits without giving anything in return.  

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:12 AM, desertshox said:

Used to deliver for the 27th and Cornhusker Pizza Hut. It was a cake job but geez it beat the hell out of a vehicle. Unless you are in a delivery area where folks tip consistently it's just not worth it.

If you look at the source of the data in Discover ( LINK ) there are about 20 tipping situations and the accompanying tip % for each situation.  Women tip more than men by a percent or two in every situation except two:  1) when the server was physically attractive, and 2) when the server flirted with the person.  LOL  :) 

• Plus1 2