** 2018 Opponent Previews: Purdue (Game 5) **

CollegeFootballNews: That Was Great. Now Do It Again.

See, winning at Purdue isn’t all that hard. But doing it two years in a row… Now is when the real work begins under Jeff Brohm.

Consider it a minor miracle that Brohm is still the head coach. Willie Taggart put together a totally mediocre season at Oregon and parlayed that into the Florida State gig. Jeremy Pruitt has never been a head coach, and now he’s the guy at Tennessee. Brohm could’ve easily been the head man at Arkansas or Mississippi State right now and no one would’ve been stunned. But the guy who actually won bowl games and conference championships at Western Kentucky – something Taggart can’t claim – really did do wonders for a Purdue program stuck in a rut of nine wins in four seasons.

https://collegefootballnews.com/2018/05/purdue-boilermakers-college-football-preview-2018

– What You Need To Know: Offense | Defense
– Top Players, Key Game, Fun Stats
– What Will Happen & Win Total Prediction

The Athletic: Purdue football has energy to match its ingenuity

Purdue had the ball on its 32-yard line, a two-touchdown lead and nearly a minute to kill until halftime when Jeff Brohm called one of his favorite trick plays, a play he says he tries about once a season. This time, the fake kneel-down turned into a 30-yard gain for running back D.J. Knox, eventually set up a field goal to extend Purdue’s lead against Arizona in the Foster Farms Bowl on Dec. 27. The Boilermakers went on to win by three points to cap a seven-win year. It marked the most successful debut season for any Purdue coach since Joe Tiller.

https://theathletic.com/342976/2018/05/20/purdue-football-season-preview-depth-chart-schedule/ (requires sub)

Athlon: 2018 Boilermakers Preview and Prediction

The Jeff Brohm era got off to a great start as Purdue won seven games, including the Foster Farms Bowl to finish things off. With expectations on the rise in West Lafayette, the offense will need to lead the way with so many new faces on defense. If the quarterbacks can stay healthy and game-changers emerge in the passing game, the Boilermakers should be able to replicate last year's success and stay relevant in the Big Ten West race. But their margin for error is thin because of the turnover in their defensive front seven.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/purdue-football-2018-boilermakers-preview-and-prediction

SBNaton: Purdue matters again! But topping 2017 might take time

We overthink things during coaching hires, especially when our team has been losing for a while. We need to find a guy with experience at our school and in our conference. We need our version of [guy who has succeeded at a rival school recently]. We need an [our school] guy.

Sometimes you just need to find a good coach. The rest will take care of itself.

Last year, Purdue brought in Jeff Brohm. And poof, the Boilermakers were interesting and competitive again. I wrote in last year’s Purdue preview that I liked the hire a lot, both because Brohm seemed like a good coach and because his offensive identity was something that has worked in West Lafayette before. But the former mattered more.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/6/29/17498636/purdue-football-2018-preview-schedule-roster

More to come...

• Plus1 1

21 minutes ago, Dilly Dilly said:

I have a crush on Brohm.  While people like Harbaugh and PJ Flake are commanding attention, he's quietly going about his business.  I hate to say this, and it sounds weird as hell, but I think Purdue is now my second favorite team.

But how long will he stay? I'm not sure Purdue can keep up with the rest of the conference in terms of support and amenities.

5 minutes ago, brophog said:

But how long will he stay? I'm not sure Purdue can keep up with the rest of the conference in terms of support and amenities.

That is a good question.  I hope they do everything in their power to keep him there, at least until Petrino screws up again and is fired.  I can see him going back to L'ville at some point in his future, just don't know when that might be.  Until then, please keep him.  The big ten west needs to keep gaining credibility.

43 minutes ago, Dilly Dilly said:

I have a crush on Brohm.  While people like Harbaugh and PJ Flake are commanding attention, he's quietly going about his business.  I hate to say this, and it sounds weird as hell, but I think Purdue is now my second favorite team.

I wanted brohm since he was at wku! Tennessee titans considered him for their head coaching job.

19 minutes ago, Dilly Dilly said:

That is a good question.  I hope they do everything in their power to keep him there, at least until Petrino screws up again and is fired.  I can see him going back to L'ville at some point in his future, just don't know when that might be.  Until then, please keep him.  The big ten west needs to keep gaining credibility.

They're certainly trying. Already given him an extension and have infrastructure projects in the works. The problem they face is everyone in the conference has so much money that everyone is doing the same. Hard to play catch up in this era.

• 2 weeks later...

Big game for us if you look at the schedule in my opinion. Think about it, this is our last game and fifth game in September and we have an opportunity to be 4-1 by beating Purdue or 3-2 by losing. So, if we beat them 6 or 7 wins will come, but if we don't, 6 would definitely be the number of wins I would put for the season. Also, Purdue is going to be improved this year so it might be a close game!

19 hours ago, HuskermanMike said:

Big game for us if you look at the schedule in my opinion. Think about it, this is our last game and fifth game in September and we have an opportunity to be 4-1 by beating Purdue or 3-2 by losing. So, if we beat them 6 or 7 wins will come, but if we don't, 6 would definitely be the number of wins I would put for the season. Also, Purdue is going to be improved this year so it might be a close game!

Also a bit dangerous when you consider that this game falls between Michigan and Wisconsin.  Classic trap game.

12 hours ago, Dilly Dilly said:

Also a bit dangerous when you consider that this game falls between Michigan and Wisconsin.  Classic trap game.

there should be no trap games for a 4-8 team heading into a new season....we should have to expect to be a "dawg" in all our games.

This team has a lot to prove.

This whole thread makes my stomach churn.  I'm from Indiana and I hate Purdue with a passion.  Makes me sick to even think we have to worry about Purdon't. I did have the honor of sitting next to Jared Tomich the first time Neb played in Lafayette.  My dad had extra tickets and invited him to the game and he came with his wife.  Pretty cool.  Purdue sucks tho