1. 1. Choose one:

• 2015 BYU
    • 2015 Illinois
    • 2015 Purdue
    • 2017 Northern Illinois
    • 2017 Iowa
    • Other (Explain your choice)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/22/2018 at 04:59 AM

Last week, we looked at the best wins (a misnomer if I ever saw one) of the Mike Riley era. Now, let's take a look at the games that could be considered the "worst losses". I've gone through each season's schedule and pulled 5 games that could be considered the worst losses (and no, you can't vote for "All of the Above"). We can debate for a week, put it to a vote and decide. If there is a game that isn't listed, vote for "other", and explain your choice. 

Game 1: 2015 BYU: http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400763495

- In all honesty, we probably should have known what we were in for after the very first game of the Riley era. Some awful coaching decisions coupled with lackluster effort by a lot of players wishing their old coach was still on the sidelines. Armstrong throws for 300, but we all know how this one ended. 

Game 2: 2015 Illinois: http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400763528

- Absolutely atrocious late-game decisions by OC Danny Langsdorf and Tommy Armstrong. Armstrong was particularly bad; 10-31 for 105 yards, but if he runs the ball on the infamous play, Nebraska still probably wins. 

Game 3: 2015 Purdue: http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400763555

- This would be the only conference game that Purdue would win in 2015. This was also Ryker Fyfe's bowl game: he threw for 400 yards and 4 TDs, but 4 INTs and the defense couldn't keep themselves off the field and Purdue out of the end zone. 

Game 4: 2017 Northern Illinois: http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400935354

- I think this was the game when we realized that Tanner Lee's interception issues weren't just because of the competition. At this point, you could almost call out when he was going to throw an INT, as the final score was Nebraska 14, NIU's defense 14, NIU's offense 7. 

Game 5: 2017 Iowa: http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400935417

- The story of one quarter: with the game tied at halftime, Iowa went off for 28 in the 3rd quarter, and it was over. Thankfully, the whole thing was over. 

• Plus1 2

I thought the win poll had the most plausible covered, but I have to go with one not on the poll this time ( that says a lot about the Riley era, doesn't it.)

2015 Miami. Big comeback wasted with a bad INT to start overtime followed by a worse personal foul on the return. Miami wins on a chip shot field goal.

• Plus1 2

Tough choice between Purdue and Northern Illinois, but I HAVE to go NIU. 

Purdue was a worse team, no doubt, but it was a transition year and a backup QB. 

NIU was year 3, and we supposedly had a QB that was made for Riley’s offense. The way our offensive line got manhandled, and the way turnovers were treated, were symbolic of where this Era was going to take us. 

Like someone else said - it should actually be viewed as the Best Loss, as it finally put an end to that era. 

• Plus1 5

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

For me it was Minnesota this season. Their offense was atrocious but we clearly didn't get that memo. That was a painful game to watch, as was 63-3.

I was wondering when this loss would be mentioned.  I was listening to the game on the radio, and Davison was so clearly disgusted with the team and the coaching staff at the end of the game.  The game was over as soon as Minny returned the opening kickoff for a TD.

At least Moos was smart enough to schedule the Philly meeting with Frost the next week.

• Plus1 4

10 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I was thinking best loss would be more interesting too.

To be honest, I've thought about doing that poll, too. If there's enough of an interest, I can; I just don't want to flood the board with similar-type topics. 

7 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

For me it was Minnesota this season. Their offense was atrocious but we clearly didn't get that memo. That was a painful game to watch, as was 63-3.

Northern Illinois I believe was the biggest point spread, but it really just edges out 2015 Purdue there because it was at home. Minnesota, however, was the biggest difference in opponent output. They would not score the rest of the season after making Nebraska look like a piñata.

It doesn't get much mention, unlike virtually every loss from 2015, because everyone had given up by that point. In some respects, by the time Minnesota came around, every loss felt more like a win.

• Plus1 4
16 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I was wondering when this loss would be mentioned.  I was listening to the game on the radio, and Davison was so clearly disgusted with the team and the coaching staff at the end of the game.  The game was over as soon as Minny returned the opening kickoff for a TD.

At least Moos was smart enough to schedule the Philly meeting with Frost the next week.

5 minutes ago, brophog said:

Northern Illinois I believe was the biggest point spread, but it really just edges out 2015 Purdue there because it was at home. Minnesota, however, was the biggest difference in opponent output. They would not score the rest of the season after making Nebraska look like a piñata.

It doesn't get much mention, unlike virtually every loss from 2015, because everyone had given up by that point. In some respects, by the time Minnesota came around, every loss felt more like a win.

Yall couldn't have said it better. That loss was the culmination of suck from the Riley era. At least Iowa put up 50+ on OSU, but Minny was just terrible.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

The best loss of the Riley Era was Northern Illinois. It got the ball rolling to get him out of here.

Pffffttt...that ball was rolling with the loss to BYU in 2015. Couldn't convert multiple 3rd and shorts to seal/win the game, and the play selection was gawd awful. It was a very representative look at what we would be dealing with for the entirety of his tenure. 

And I selected BYU 2015--when we let that mediocre of a team, on their third string QB (IIRC) come in and win like they did, Riley had a LOT to questions to answer that he either left blank or just wrote in "Hip Hip Hooray" during his all-too-long tenure. 

• Plus1 2