Oklahoma Fans Also Lament Missing Nebraska Series

As you know, all my OU-Nebraska items are wildly popular. And not just on the north side of the Big Red rivalry. Sooner fans love to reminisce about the Cornhuskers, even if the series is more Big Dead than Big Red these days.

“Eliminating Nebraska has had the same effect on the OU football schedule as eliminating Christmas would have on my calendar,” wrote OU fan David Polley. “Sure, life has gone on without OU-Nebraska; but life would go on without Christmas lights, Christmas trees, singing carols and opening presents on Christmas morning.

“OU-Nebraska could disappoint when it was uncompetitive, but so can Christmas when favorite relatives can't be home for the holidays. That never made it less special to have -- and to look forward to all year long.

“I've never gone to Owen Field for a conference game with the same sensation and feeling of wonder that I used to go when Nebraska was in town, even when OU or Nebraska were shadows of themselves. Sure, there was always more to football than OU-Nebraska; but having Texas and OSU on the schedule and saying that's enough is like saying we don't need Christmas as long as we still have the 4th of July.

“I am praying that Coach (Scott) Frost has Nebraska ready to give us a great game in Lincoln when OU visits in a few years. I will get good tickets no matter the price. I will hope to sit next to Nebraska fans and will clap along with them when the NU band plays the best fight songs in America (cool as ‘There is No Place Like Nebraska’ may be, I love ‘Hail Varsity’ even more), and I will get goosebumps when I hear ‘Boomer Sooner’ played in the hallowed stadium in Lincoln -- site of many of the greatest victories in Sooner lore. It's the only place in the world I could see the Sooners lose and still be as happy to have been there. I imagine when I see the Sooners take the field I may cry. The good way.

“In the meantime, good luck to coach Frost and Nebraska fans everywhere. I root HARD for you whenever I see y'all play -- though I wish I was watching you play Missouri, Kansas State and Colorado instead of Rutgers, Illinois and Ohio State. What a silly place the world can sometimes evolve into.”

News OK

• Plus1 6

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The '96 game was a NU butt-whipping, as the Huskers rolled up 73 points.  NU scored TD's from all 3 phases of the game, including 56 points in the 2nd half.

I did remember the game was so bad that the schooner tipping over just felt right.

• Plus1 1
51 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm over this.  It was great back in the day.  But, that was then and this is now.

Now.....if they would move to the Big10 west, I'm sure I could get my juices flowing over the game.  But, I don't sit around wishing we were still playing them.

ecf8eb6ec29dd0f2da472a6f219fa769.jpg

• Plus1 8

Oh, look. Barry Trammel wants attention from Nebraska fan again. 

He writes the first column to chum the water, a bit of entertainment for Husker fans. Then he gets two dozen reader responses (look how popular we still are with Husker Nation!) and curates them for his Sooner audience.  A bit of nostalgia for old Sooner fans, a bit of dirt-throwing for newer fans, more views from Husker fans.

He does this at least every other year, if not more often.  I don't think any other Big 8/Big XII writer from back in the day writes about Nebraska as much as Trammel. 

• Plus1 3
56 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Oh, look. Barry Trammel wants attention from Nebraska fan again. 

He writes the first column to chum the water, a bit of entertainment for Husker fans. Then he gets two dozen reader responses (look how popular we still are with Husker Nation!) and curates them for his Sooner audience.  A bit of nostalgia for old Sooner fans, a bit of dirt-throwing for newer fans, more views from Husker fans.

He does this at least every other year, if not more often.  I don't think any other Big 8/Big XII writer from back in the day writes about Nebraska as much as Trammel. 

I'm trying to figure out why you've framed this is a bad thing...? :dunno

• Plus1 2

We may be ready to play that series again, in a couple of years. Glad we didn't the last few years. 

Neb/Okl, UCLA/USC, OSU/Mich, Miami/FSU, Those were the games that caught the nations interest, when they played. Our's is gone now, and its not coming back, the way a lot of us remember it.

I think in a few of years it may be Neb/OSU, that might have the same interest as we once had with Okl game. Yeah Wis is what a lot of fans on here think, should be our next rival, but beating them still doesn't get us the B1G title. Same for OSU beating Mich.

Neb/OSU for all the marbles most years, the way it was in the Big 8 years with Okl, will build you a rival. jmo....

GBR!!!