** 2018 Opponent Previews: Wisconsin (Game 6) **

Apparently my "M" words touched some nerve(s).  Basically, I don't care if he does or doesn't -- if he does indeed, like many assume, then kudos for finding the formula that works.  There's no shame in saying why Wisconsin is successful and that Alvarez is what makes Wisconsin "GO", much in the same way that Snyder makes KState who they are.  We had Eichorst, a former Alvarez staffer, try to do his own meddling/micromanaging, which Is pretty well documented, and it wasn't a formula for success HERE. 

On 7/15/2018 at 2:11 PM, badgers007 said:

I see this, or something similar, said quite a bit without much substance to the claim. In what ways has Barry Alvarez ‘meddled and micromanaged’ Paul Chryst?

Micromanage is a little strong to say about Barry Alvarez, but I am sure when he is hiring he is looking for someone that will do things the way he would.  If you want to call that micromanaging than I am OK with that. Does Barry like to watch practice, most likely. Does Barry like to give advice about the team, most likely.  BA probably just like TO did retired too soon. He probably misses a lot of the coaching aspect.  He knows what has worked for Wisconsin and knows it will continue to work.  

Most likely BB and Anderson chafed a little under his thumb, that is why he left.  You have to remember though that Anderson brought Dave Aranda to Wisconsin so that was a good thing.  Chryst is a Wisconsin guy, he played there, coached there under BA and BB and understands the formula, he isn't going to change it too much.  

• 3 weeks later...

The one thing missing in that article, which is about winning the national championship, is the ease of their schedule. In terms of SOS, Michigan and Penn St is their entire schedule. They need one of those two to be extremely good. They don't want the East to just beat each other up. They really don't want those two to be 4 loss squads and Ohio St to be very strong. That's a bad matchup for them in a title game. They probably need to go undefeated and may still need help to convince the committee that they deserve a shot with that weak OOC schedule.

The other problem is the ease of Iowa's schedule. I don't think Iowa is all that strong, but they don't necessarily need to be to win the West. They somehow get Nebraska, Northwestern and Wisconsin at home, though they must play at Penn St. Big advantage in comparison to the rest of the West's schedules.

Finally, while Nebraska's schedule likely limits their ability to make it to Indy, it doesn't prevent them from playing spoiler. I like Nebraska's schemes vs Wisconsin and if the Huskers are legit, they could spoil this party. Lee should have thought of that.

• Plus1 2

On 7/7/2018 at 9:15 AM, MichiganDad3 said:

Wisconsin does not worry me. Frost will exploit their defense, maybe not in year 1, but after that the Huskers will not have a problem scoring. I also think the attacking defense will give Wisconsin problems. Wisky will not be able to run the ball all game anymore. They must try for the big play against an over aggressive defense. I give us a 50% chance of beating them this year. I also think there is less than a 10% chance of the Huskers losing to the badgers in 2018 and 2019.

I expect N to be a lot more competitive against WI this year, perhaps losing in a four-quarter game. I can see us having the type of offense with speed guys giving WI problems with their D. WI still needs to be little faster on the edge, and the Corn could expose that. I also expect N not to have nearly as much of a physical disadvantage with them. Still I see WI having the better team this year and beat us by a TD. And outside of playing us, I hope they do make it to the CFP. 

Just now, Pedro G said:

I expect N to be a lot more competitive against WI this year, perhaps losing in a four-quarter game. I can see us having the type of offense with speed guys giving WI problems with their D. WI still needs to be a little faster on the edge, and the Corn could expose that. I also expect N not to have nearly as much of a physical disadvantage with them. Still I see WI having the better team this year and beat us by a TD. And outside of playing us, I hope they do make it to the CFP. 

10 hours ago, brophog said:

The other problem is the ease of Iowa's schedule. I don't think Iowa is all that strong, but they don't necessarily need to be to win the West. They somehow get Nebraska, Northwestern and Wisconsin at home, though they must play at Penn St. Big advantage in comparison to the rest of the West's schedules.

Don't know how Nebraska and Northwestern fare @ Iowa, but Wisconsin has won its last four in Kinnick.  Of course, Wisconsin was ranked No. 10, No. 13, No. 16, and No. 24 for those wins and weren't, necessarily, National Championship contenders.  That seems to be Iowa's calling when a Top-5 team comes into Kinnick.

1 hour ago, badgers007 said:

Don't know how Nebraska and Northwestern fare @ Iowa, but Wisconsin has won its last four in Kinnick.  Of course, Wisconsin was ranked No. 10, No. 13, No. 16, and No. 24 for those wins and weren't, necessarily, National Championship contenders.  That seems to be Iowa's calling when a Top-5 team comes into Kinnick.

Iowa just doesnt match up well with Wisconsin, imo, but still have a better chance at home than not. 

12 minutes ago, FTW said:

I could see our speed being an issue for Wisconsin. Take away their run game and force Hornibrook to beat us with his arm. Maybe for once we force 3 or 4 turnovers and cash in. I want us to put Camp Randall to bed early. 

I wouldn't be shocked if we had a good game with them or even beat them, since we hung with them a little while last year, lost in OT (@ Wisconsin) the year before that, lost by 2 points the year before that, and Riley isn't our coach.

• Plus1 3
48 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I wouldn't be shocked if we had a good game with them or even beat them, since we hung with them a little while last year, lost in OT (@ Wisconsin) the year before that, lost by 2 points the year before that, and Riley isn't our coach.

I'm sure SF could ask MR to come back for a pre-game speech  :lol:

1 hour ago, GBRFAN said:

I'm sure SF could ask MR to come back for a pre-game speech  :lol:

shawn-eichorst-fired-nebraska-mike-riley

Hey there guys, I just wanted to say I'd sure like it if you all tried really hard out there in this one.  Try to win it for ol' Mike okay? Just teasing you guys, I know it's gonna be a hard game so just do your best and keep thinking on how to get better and stuff and maybe with a little luck you can do some good things.  Golly it would sure be swell if you guys came together and won this one, your coach is a heck of a guy, used to only hang 60 on us back in my head coaching days in Corvallis, and he did that outta respect cause we all know Mark would have given up 120 if given the opportunity!

(Chuckles)

I'm just teasin Mark, you're a swell guy too.  Anyways win or lose I'm pretty proud of this group of guys for trying really hard and being stand up young men.  And I really really appreciate the cushy 3 year stint in Lincoln you guys will be paying me for years to come, makes this whole transition into opening my own CherryBerry much easier.  Good luck out there fellas!

• Plus1 2