An Election Day poll from Sam M.

Husker History  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

57 minutes ago, knapplc said:

All those close calls and the seven straight bowl losses made the 3rd quarter against Miami in 1994 almost unbearable, though.  I was sure we were going to lose, again, and it was the worst.

Then Miami got tired, they forgot about Schlessinger, and the final like ten minutes was amazing.

Yep, had the same feeling.   Amazing how Osborne's prediction (half time talk) came true in the 2nd half.  That game seemed like such a big struggle like we couldn't get over the top but then it was TF and Schlessinger time.   Probably tied as my favorite quarter of NU football along wt the 2nd quarter vs Florida a year later - 29 points and the game was essentially over at half.

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

Yep, had the same feeling.   Amazing how Osborne's prediction (half time talk) came true in the 2nd half.  That game seemed like such a big struggle like we couldn't get over the top but then it was TF and Schlessinger time.   Probably tied as my favorite quarter of NU football along wt the 2nd quarter vs Florida a year later - 29 points and the game was essentially over at half.

The 2nd quarter in the Fiesta Bowl vs. Florida was pure excitement for that whole quarter.  Once NU dominated that 2nd quarter, the 2nd half of the game was full of more highlights and starting the celebration early.

I wasn't alive prior to 1983 and I'm not going to go on YouTube and watch grainy video clips of that era, lol. I do recall 1993 and 1999. My first recollection is in 1999, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe at the time we set the NCAA record for most fumbles in a season. I remember we fumbled A LOT that year.

I remember the OB vs FSU and hearing my dad scream at the officials a lot and a handful of bogus calls. To be a FG away from being undefeated national champions? Don't know how you can't see that 93 squad being one of the best to not win the big one. 

1983 was a really emotional one for me. We'd had many years of very good teams "almost" win it all and, at 17,  i wanted my team to finally get the title. That was a great team, and i remember yelling at the TV to kick the extra point. Other than Fryar,  i don't remember our receivers being great back then, and i thought the 2 point play was a bad call . 

Looking back on 93 i would say it was a better overall team than 83. We didn't have a kicker quite as good as some we've had since, or would have had another championship that year.  3 consecutive championships, over the big 3 Florida schools would have been awesome too ! 

• Plus1 1