***Official Mariners Misery Thread***

4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I keep thinking posting in this thread can do for the Mets what it did for the Mariners.....

They actually scored THREE runs tonight so maybe things are looking up.

They have too many players on the DL. Kind of sad how good they were out of the gate, but injuries have just about ruined their season.

• Plus1 1

Yesterday's game was insanity.  Ms start off hot and then proceed to go Bad News Bears for an inning and Paxton gets knocked out early.  Then the Ms bullpen(specifically Rob Whalen who just got called up) locks down Boston and the offense chips away and pulls ahead in the bottom of the 8th!  

This just in: Chris Sale is really good at pitching a baseball.

Welp, the toughest stretch of the schedule for a while is over and the Mariners all and all didn't do too badly.  If you would've told me the Ms would go 7-8 with games at Houston, home to LAA and Boston and then going to NYY and Boston I probably would've taken it.  They need to get back to their winning ways and having Baltimore and KC up next provides a good way to do that.

• Plus1 1

Just checking back in since last post. Gonna have to piggy back you @Xmas32  Not the way we would have liked that stretch to go but not awful.

What I didn’t like was giving up the two games, one each against RedSox and Yankees. Could have finished that stretch 9-6 with a season series win over the Red Sox and also avoided a sweep.

If only Healy didn’t ground into a double play to end the opening game against the Red Sox in safeco. Felix threw well and battled against Price, would have been nice to steal one against their closer. 

This team isn’t going away and does

what need to be done to win a ballgame. Probably needs to fend off only one team for the second wildcard if the Astros take the division. Need to lock down the bullpen (Nicasio), would like another starter to bolster, gotta figure out what to do with Cano. 

Go M’s!

• Plus1 1

Yup, pretty much agree with everything above @Savage Husker

I saw a stat that teams that have led by 5 runs or more are something like 410-30.  The Mariners found a way to lose 2 of those games in 3 days.

The bullpen should hopefully get a little more shored up once Nick Vincent gets his feet underneath him and Altavila comes back from injury.  I will be curious if they're buyers for another SP but with their lack of prospects, it'll have to be a salary dump methinks.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, teachercd said:

They win so many close games...it seems like that flips as the season goes on.

Thats why I hedge any more excitement, the mariners are notorious for falling short. This would be like KC Royals 2014-15 blue print, a solid bullpen and unsung heroes top-down the lineup. 

10 hours ago, teachercd said:

They win so many close games...it seems like that flips as the season goes on.

Yup, there is almost zero correlation with 1 run games and how good a team is.  The Mariners are definitely running way above expectation in that department.  Their run differential is also way, way, wayyyy below the other 3 teams in the AL.

https://www.teamrankings.com/mlb/stat/run-differential

Now, you could argue a little bit that the Ms play in the toughest division so their run differential should be lower (this excludes the Astros of course, who are built like the Death Star).  The Ms next stretch of games where they play the Orioles, Royals, Angels and then go to Colorado will tell me a lot.  They should, in theory beat up on those teams a bit (Baltimore and KC especially).  While I don't expect a +100 run differential like NYY, Boston and Houston if the Ms could get close to where Cleveland is which is in the +60 range, that would be pretty great.

With all that being said, sometimes the baseball gods simply deem one team to run way above expectation, the 2016 Rangers won 95 games and had a MINUS 4 run differential and the 2012 Orioles won 90+ games while having a +5 RD.  It appears (hopefully) the Ms are this years team.  The nice thing was as tough as this last stretch of games was, the Ms only dropped 1.5 games to the Angels in the WC standings.  This next month is absolutely massive for Seattle has they play the Angels 9 times.  If the Ms can rip off another 6-3 or better stretch, they can really bury LAA.  LAA also has a handful of games against the Dodgers who are butaning right now and the always tough Astros.   

• Plus1 1