Frost Interview 5/16

16 hours ago, brophog said:

Why skeptical? (honest question, I'm interested) We've talked a great deal in the last year about how significant of a jump year 2 is for new coaches, but especially for new coaches that eventually turn a program around. Having a full recruiting cycle to fix issues, and a staff/athletes that now know your schemes is huge. Big reasons year 2, across the board, sees about a 2 game average jump in wins, and that's even bigger at the more high profile institutions.

The year 2 effect is a big reason I think this team, if it has a good summer, can surprise this year. Bringing the entire staff accelerates this process a great deal, as does bringing in some important newcomers in early and having more opportunities for instruction due to recent NCAA rule changes. 

All good points. In the past under Bo especially, I drank up the koolaid only to be disappointed.  However this year I think I can drink the koolaid and not be disappointed. Call me a :koolaid2:drinker if you will but I truly believe we will surprise the pickers in year 1.  No I don't think we make the ccg but I think we end up 2nd in the division even with our brutal schedule.  Scott understand that we have talent and he will develop it.  He will also play underclassmen - the best players - there is no seniority rule.   That in itself should motivate players - either to keep their positions or to earn one.   We will have better conditioning, better coaching, and better player buy in & systematic play calling on O and D that fits the players on the field.  As @Making Chimichangas  notes above I see 8-4 as  doable.  My path to eight wins are in red below.  Bonus - we surprise Michigan and or Iowa.  (My big initial thought :koolaid2: was having us win our first 5 games - including the match up wt Michigan.  I'm not all that impressed with Hardhead and I think Frost will prove to be the better coach) Of the red teams below, MSU is the toughest draw but we have them at home.  NW will be @ NW but those games always seem to be competitive and I think Frost makes the difference this year.  Iowa and Minni won't beat us like they did last year.

Akron 

Colorado 

Troy

Michigan 

Purdue 

Wisconsin 

Northwestern 

Minnesota 

Ohio St.

Illinois 

Michigan St.

Iowa

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Call me a :koolaid2:drinker if you will

I'll do no such thing. We had way too much of that sort of nonsense back in the day. No more divisions, no more silly name calling. All aboard the train! 

Your schedule results are extremely plausible, but it takes a good summer to get there. That's possible, though. The coaches, imo, did a fantastic job of using the spring in a productive fashion to transition into the summer, and I'm expecting good things by fall camp. 

• Plus1 1
31 minutes ago, brophog said:

I'll do no such thing. We had way too much of that sort of nonsense back in the day. No more divisions, no more silly name calling. All aboard the train! 

Your schedule results are extremely plausible, but it takes a good summer to get there. That's possible, though. The coaches, imo, did a fantastic job of using the spring in a productive fashion to transition into the summer, and I'm expecting good things by fall camp. 

Yes, what I like about this staff is that they aren't a staff looking for a plan. They had a plan, came here with a plan and are implementing it.  Item # 1: As soon as Scott said yes to Moos he was after Adrian Martinez and got him secured as our QB of the future, # 2 the staff hit the road wt a purpose and targeted recruits who could help immediately and got a good number of them. # 3 The strength and conditioning aspect took on new importance along wt accountability  #4 No standing around practices - each snap, each exercise, each player had a purpose

#5 A spring game that seemed  'serious'.  # 6 Emphasis on summer conditioning  #7 Open competition after the spring game - QB starter wasn't named - make everyone work hard in fall practice to get that coveted starting spot. 

So I think coaching alone is worth at least a 3 game turn around from last year.  (Not sure you can measure that but this is a forum where we can say what we want even if we can't fully support it!:D)

• Plus1 2