2018 World Cup

I wasn't a fan of the Croatian squad before the final but I was pulling for them yesterday and will Sunday.  I think the English got more calls in their game and their one goal came from one of them.  The checkers had to earn their goals from the run of play.  That first goal was pretty sick.  The dude's left leg was up about as high as the defender's shoulder and he used the outside of it - not sure how he could have added anything to that ball's momentum and still beat a damn good keeper in Pickford.

France has to be the early favorites for 2022 now don't they?  I thought that was the cup they would make a serious run, along with Nigeria.   Just discovered England was the third youngest team in this cup.  France being the second youngest and Nigeria being the youngest.  Those three teams played really well this cup and if they continue to grow and develop over the next 4 years, they will be early betting favorites for 2022.  And 2022 will be the first 'winter' world cup.

Yeah, that winter thing is a crock.  France is a (colonial) power.  They were the favorites to win the last Euro and it took the Germans to put them out in the previous World Cup.

I'm glad the game wasn't a 1-0 yesterday but it still stunk to have the first two goals come off of the head referee's decisions (the first of which was clearly the wrong one - even the announcers noted that Griezmann was on the ground before any contact was made).  Croatia played the better football and France was fortunate before earning some goals from the run of play on the counter...