Solich Invited Back to Receive Tom Osborne Award

38 minutes ago, lo country said:

I like it.  Healing is good.  That decision split the fan base pretty good IMHO.  

Exactly!   It was a tough thing to be the guy who followed Tom Osborne and the dynasty of 90s Husker football.  Especially since the Huskers fell back to earth on his watch.  Let bygones be bygones I say.  

• Plus1 2

I was a stupid early twenty something that was more interested in beer than football when Solich was here.  And I know I made some dumb comments watching games during that time.  I almost feel like there should be a "receiving line" where people like me can walk through, shake his hand, and say "my bad...."

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, funhusker said:

I was a stupid early twenty something that was more interested in beer than football when Solich was here.  And I know I made some dumb comments watching games during that time.  I almost feel like there should be a "receiving line" where people like me can walk through, shake his hand, and say "my bad...."

Same, but that is what being a fan is...we freak out from one play to the next and we are usually pounding back beers and shots while doing it.

Was Solich a "great" head coach?  No, he wasn't.  Did he do some personal things that he probably regrets, sure.  His biggest fault was that he followed a legend at Nebraska, and the team was coming off a historic stretch in college football.

I made some stupid comments about him as a dumb guy in my early to mid 20s, but I am very thankful for all of his years as an assistant coach at NU, and even his tenure as head coach.  Not many people would have been successful following Osborne.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Was Solich a "great" head coach?  No, he wasn't.  Did he do some personal things that he probably regrets, sure.  His biggest fault was that he followed a legend at Nebraska, and the team was coming off a historic stretch in college football.

I made some stupid comments about him as a dumb guy in my early to mid 20s, but I am very thankful for all of his years as an assistant coach at NU, and even his tenure as head coach.  Not many people would have been successful following Osborne.

You went as Coach Solich to that huge ass Halloween party!

This was a hot topic on 1620 the Zone both during Sharp & Benning as well as Nick Bahe's (sp?) show.  If you look at Frank's record in the 6 seasons he was here-Wow.  Pretty darn good: He won the division three times, went to a national championship, won a conference championship, and coached a Heisman Trophy winner.  His poorest season was 7-7 AND HE WAS FIRED?  I remember hearing that Pederson (Pedersen) contacted Urban Meyer to offer him the Nebraska job and Meyer said, 'No way!  You fired a coach who averaged at least 9 wins a season and you fired him?'  That whole deal set a precedent in college football and was the undoing of Nebraska. 

I hope Frank can come back and can be recognized for the good things he did for Nebraska.  He played here, he was an assistant coach for 19 years and coached here for 6 years.  He deserves a little love in my opinion.  (Yeah, I know there were other things going on that went towards Frank's demise but come on!  He did everything Pedersen asked and was still kicked to the curb! Poor form!)

• Plus1 4