Solich Invited Back to Receive Tom Osborne Award

I guess the question then is whether Nebraska fans are too spoiled or entitled. 

If we're being really honest, Bo Pelini's 9 and 10 win seasons only felt satisfying when we were convinced the next season would be better. I don't think we were wrong for feeling that way. After 7 years it still didn't feel like we were building to something, it felt like we had settled into the mid-tier of the Big 10 and life just outside the Top 25. The Solich situation was more complicated, (more Carl Pelini than Bo) but had Frank settled into a similar 9 - 4 groove, with a predictable loss to Texas, as his recruits fell off a couple ticks from Osborne levels, I think we would have demanded better. 

It's not hard to picture a Michigan, Ohio State, Texas, LSU, Florida or other college football legacy firing coaches with similar results. 

Just now, Mavric said:

If he was going to be fired, what would like like to have seen done differently that would have been "with dignity"?

I think six years is a pretty fair chance.

9-2-1; 9-3; 10-2; 9-3-1; 9-3; and 9-3 with no outright conference titles after taking over a team that won two NCs in the previous three years.  Was six years a pretty fair chance? 

58 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

If Bo's staff could have recruited as well as Callahan's staff, Bo might still be here. 

If Bo was as nice a guy as Mike Riley then Bo might be here also.  

If Bo could recruit like Callahan and was as nice as Mike Riley, we might've had another Tom Osborne.  :) 

• Plus1 4

Just spitballing that if Frank is willing to come to Nebraska for the Outland ceremony, maybe he's willing to come to Memorial Stadium for an ovation during the season.

Frank's team has a bye week on 9/8/18, the day we play Colorado.  That could be a day he could fly in for a wave at the crowd.

He has a pair of Wednesday games on 11/7 and 11/14 surrounding our 11/10 home game against Illinois. That might be pretty tough to get in for, with game prep & all. But it's a possibility.

• Plus1 2

Does Solich have any known retirement plans? Not that I'd complain if it happened now, but I feel like waiting until he's done coaching would be more appropriate for a Memorial Stadium appearance/tribute.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Toe said:

Does Solich have any known retirement plans? Not that I'd complain if it happened now, but I feel like waiting until he's done coaching would be more appropriate for a Memorial Stadium appearance/tribute.

He's 73. How much more time do we need?

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

Just spitballing that if Frank is willing to come to Nebraska for the Outland ceremony, maybe he's willing to come to Memorial Stadium for an ovation during the season.

Frank's team has a bye week on 9/8/18, the day we play Colorado.  That could be a day he could fly in for a wave at the crowd.

He has a pair of Wednesday games on 11/7 and 11/14 surrounding our 11/10 home game against Illinois. That might be pretty tough to get in for, with game prep & all. But it's a possibility.

I'd be all for this. I think a majority of the fan base still considers Frank "one of our own." The same cannot be said for his 3 successors.

On 5/21/2018 at 5:57 PM, Mavric said:

You can make a pretty good argument that Bo's staff recruited better than Callahan's.

Or that Bo reaped the benefits of Callahan's recruits over his own.

1 minute ago, GBRFAN said:

.... then in the same breath you could make an really good argument for the opposite.

Depends on what your criteria is for a "good argument."

Most of the love for Callahan is based on one class.  And that class' high ranking is mostly based on having 32-ish commits.

I would say it had more to do with guys that looked like future NFL players - then again Bo would have to get some credit because he did well at getting some of those guys over the hump.  

I just have a hard time giving Bo credit for recruiting because after about the third year he gave up