South Africa government taking land owned by White farmers

1 minute ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Oh, yeah. 20 acres of it is mine.

This isn't about race with me, I'm largely against the government doing anything, especially taking land from lawful owners, especially without compensation!

No its not. You may have a piece of paper that says its yours, but in the end it means nothing. If the government wanted to come take it away from you they could. It could be taken from you at any time. You say it isn't about race, but i find it hard to believe if the races were flipped you would have created a thread about it. 

I'm sure they're terrible, but they're still potentially (likely) taking land away from white people that had nothing to do with those decisions.

I. Didn't. Steal. It.

So if you buy a stolen car, its now yours?

2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

No its not. You may have a piece of paper that says its yours, but in the end it means nothing. If the government wanted to come take it away from you they could. It could be taken from you at any time. You say it isn't about race, but i find it hard to believe if the races were flipped you would have created a thread about it

This is true. If the races were flipped all of you would of beat me too it.

• Plus1 2

This is one of the areas in Cape Town that they moved 60K people to when they decided to bulldoze District 6 and then only allow whites to live there.  This was in the late 1960's.  You can never recover from this.  (the black and whites are where they were, and what was bulldozed).

flats.jpg

flat2.jpg

6.jpg

2.jpg

2 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Sure. The thing is you don't seem to care one iota about what the white people did in this country.

If a group of people who looked completely different than you and spoke a strange language came and brutally took over the state of nebraska and got rich off of newly found gold and gems, taking all of your states natural resources and stealing the land from the natives of nebraska and forcing them to live in slum villages with no opportunity and terrible living conditions, you would probably want to get those people out once you regained control of your land

1 minute ago, NM11046 said:

This is one of the areas in Cape Town that they moved 60K people to when they decided to bulldoze District 6 and then only allow whites to live there.  This was in the late 1960's.  You can never recover from this.  (the black and whites are where they were, and what was bulldozed).

flats.jpg

flat2.jpg

6.jpg

2.jpg

Listen, I get all of that. 

I actually did a small written project on all this in high school. 

I still don't think taking land, and livelihood from people makes that right.

9 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I look forward to all of you offering up your property to the next Native American you run into. It'll make for a helluva story.

BB, if in the 1960's, 1970's or 1980's my grandparents or parents took land from a black family I'd offer it up without a doubt.  It's not ours.  They didn't pay these people.  

This is just a ridiculous conversation.

• Plus1 1
Just now, NM11046 said:

BB, if in the 1960's, 1970's or 1980's my grandparents or parents took land from a black family I'd offer it up without a doubt.  It's not ours.  They didn't pay these people.  

Quite ridiculous. 

Sure. The thing is you don't seem to care one iota about what the white people did in this country.

If a group of people who looked completely different than you and spoke a strange language came and brutally took over the state of nebraska and got rich off of newly found gold and gems, taking all of your states natural resources and stealing the land from the natives of nebraska and forcing them to live in slum villages with no opportunity and terrible living conditions, you would probably want to get those people out once you regained control of your land

Again, how many of the current landowners were involved in those decisions? Some? Maybe. All? Highly doubtful.

If there are some of those decision makers around to this day, and you want to rectify their wrongs with them, have at it.

1 minute ago, NM11046 said:

Is there a statute of limitations on land grabbing? Why not give your property to a Native American?

Again, how many of the current landowners were involved in those decisions? Some? Maybe. All? Highly doubtful.

If there are some of those decision makers around to this day, and you want to rectify their wrongs with them, have at it.

All of them have benefitted from white rule. I know for a fact all of them bought their land from another white person who recieved it unjustly somewhere down the line not too long ago. So it begs the question, if you buy a stolen car, is it rightfully yours? 

17 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

The problem here @B.B. Hemingway, is that stuff like this happens frequently in America even today.  Poor people (even poor whites) have their land (or are evicted from their homes or apartments because of imminent domain.  Some rich, white development company basically takes their homes with fairly little, to almost no financial compensation and it is done all "legally."

Where's Your Outrage Here B.B.?

All of them have benefitted from white rule. I know for a fact all of them bought their land from another white person who recieved it unjustly somewhere down the line not too long ago. So it begs the question, if you buy a stolen car, is it rightfully yours? 

If that's the case, we all benefitted from White America pushing the Native Americans west, so when are you planning to give your property away to a Native American?

• Plus1 1

My understanding is that the idea to seize without paying is tied to one particular political party that is floating it during an election year.  For some time SA has been offering "willing buyer, willing seller" that allows the current land owner to sell it.

This is the last I'll contribute to this thread:

whites own 72 percent of South Africa's land and black South Africans, who make up 80 percent of the population, own just 4 percent