South Africa government taking land owned by White farmers

6 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

The problem here @B.B. Hemingway, is that stuff like this happens frequently in America even today.  Poor people (even poor whites) have their land (or are evicted from their homes or apartments because of imminent domain.  Some rich, white development company basically takes their homes with fairly little, to almost no financial compensation and it is done all "legally."

Where's Your Outrage Here B.B.?

Like I said earlier, I'm never a fan of the government being involved in almost anything, so obviously eminent domain doesn't sit well with me. 

It would still bother me, but I would be 'more okay' with what the South African government is doing if there were hefty compensation involved. I'm not okay with putting innocent people on the chopping block because of their ancestor's sins....

1 minute ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Like I said earlier, I'm never a fan of the government being involved in almost anything, so obviously eminent domain doesn't sit well with me. 

It would still bother me, but I would be 'more okay' with what the South African government is doing if there were hefty compensation involved. I'm not okay with putting innocent people on the chopping block because of their ancestor's sins....

1991 isnt these peoples ancestors. 

7 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

If that's the case, we all benefitted from White America pushing the Native Americans west, so when are you planning to give your property away to a Native American?

Don't own land and if I did I would donate to Native American tribes. I understand, like they did, the land is no ones to have.

3 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Like I said earlier, I'm never a fan of the government being involved almost anything, so obviously eminent domain doesn't sit well with me. 

It would still bother me, but I would be 'more okay' with what the South African government is doing if there was hefty compensation involved. I'm not okay with putting innocent people on the chopping block because of their ancestor's sins....

This is where it gets tricky.  Because if you know your (our) ancestors did something wrong, like steal land from the native peoples, and you (we) continue on with it, does that really mean you're (we're) innocent?  Or, are we part of an on-going criminal activity?

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Making Chimichangas said:

This is where it gets tricky.  Because if you know your (our) ancestors did something wrong, like steal land from the native peoples, and you (we) continue on with it, does that really mean you're (we're) innocent?  Or, are we part of an on-going criminal activity?

Personally, I can admit that what my ancestors did was disgusting, but also understand that I had no part in it, and that I have just as much right as any Native American to live/own land here. 

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

"The White Man's Plight"

Are you f'ing kidding me with this bullsh**?  

I'm not one to pretend white people don't have problems of their (our) own, but Yes. It was tongue-in-cheek.

Edit: Haha, this cracks me up. "HOW DARE YOU SUGGEST A WHITE MAN FACES OBSTACLES IN LIFE!"

4 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Driving around a stolen car "but i bought it though"

2 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Personally, I can admit that what my ancestors did was disgusting, but also understand that I had no part in it, and that I have just as much right as any Native American to live/own land here. 

If native americans were in power and said we want our land back then you wouldn't have the right anymore so thats the difference. White rule remains here.

The fact that the land grab happened relatively recently, I tend to think it is okay and just.  There are people alive today who themselves or sons/daughters had their land taken in a very unfair way (to put it mildly).

But I also have a hard time relating this to Native Americans and the land I currently own.  Yes I bought my property from a man, who bought it from another, and another, and somewhere back in the chain I'm guessing it was purchased or homesteaded immediately after the U.S. took it from Native Americans.  But what tribe should get my house? The Ponca, the Pawnee, the the Omaha, the Lokota...some other tribe that one of those tribes stole it from?  Humans have been conquering lands either with violence or treaty for at least 10000 years if not many more, how far back do we have to go until we get to the "actual" owner.  Like Nebfanatic said, this land doesn't belong to any of us.  But as long as I have that piece of paper that shows my government says it's mine.  It's mine.

edit:  But I should be clear. If Russia were to suddenly take over our Nebraska government and kick me out of my land because they want to, I really have no legal recourse since my "agreement" was terminated with the U.S. government.  However, If the U.S. was able to reclaim Nebraska while I'm still living, or even my children, I would fully expect for my property rights to be restored.

• Plus1 2

What the actual f#&% is the white man's plight?

If there is proof that the current owner of the land is the original owner who obtained it through scrupulous means then yes, it should be given back with minimal if any compensation. You can't just swap land back willy-nilly, or you will run into more humanitarian issues and eventual violence. Something should be done though, given the enormous discrepancy in the demographics of landownership.

I'll be the first to say that having family who has been here probably 5 generations, I wouldn't want to give my land up if I owned it. But timing here makes a huge difference, we're not talking centuries, only decades.

• Plus1 2