South Africa government taking land owned by White farmers

I think the key to racial harmony isn't redoing history - that isn't going to happen.  As Paul Harvey use to say "You cannot un-ring the bell."  But we must beging to develop equality as much as possible in the current generation. The damage done in the past isn't going to be fixed by force retribution, re-entitlement,  confiscation, etc.  That will just expand & advance the hatred cycle.  The proper response is to create current environments via right policy in which all have the opportunity to succeed, advance and 'pursue happiness'.   If we are constantly pointing fingers backwards we will never solve injustice today and we will never walk together tomorrow. 

• Plus1 2

14 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I think the key to racial harmony isn't redoing history - that isn't going to happen.  As Paul Harvey use to say "You cannot un-ring the bell."  But we must beging to develop equality as much as possible in the current generation. The damage done in the past isn't going to be fixed by force retribution, re-entitlement,  confiscation, etc.  That will just expand & advance the hatred cycle.  The proper response is to create current environments via right policy in which all have the opportunity to succeed, advance and 'pursue happiness'.   If we are constantly pointing fingers backwards we will never solve injustice today and we will never walk together tomorrow. 

But why should white people in South Africa have the right to pursue happiness in South Africa when they have built that happiness off of the backs of the native majority. We want racial harmony and equality for all, but white south africans already had a huge leg up economically. How is it fair to the people of south africa when 80% of south africans are black but 70% of land in south africa is owned by whites. I understand eye for an eye is no way forward, but when the white people own 70% of the land from a discriminatory system we can't move forward either because there is still alot of economic power in that. It would be nice if we could just live in a world where we all get along but if you don't think there are still weathy people in south africa doing what they can to make sure white people stay well off and to hell with everyone else you would be mistaken. 

Point being it takes 2. Racial harmony can't happen by undoing the past, but we must also move past archaic ways of thought. White people still have dominance in this world and exert that dominance regularly. If that doesn't change, we will never see racial harmony.

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

But why should white people in South Africa have the right to pursue happiness in South Africa when they have built that happiness off of the backs of the native majority. We want racial harmony and equality for all, but white south africans already had a huge leg up economically. How is it fair to the people of south africa when 80% of south africans are black but 70% of land in south africa is owned by whites. I understand eye for an eye is no way forward, but when the white people own 70% of the land from a discriminatory system we can't move forward either because there is still alot of economic power in that. It would be nice if we could just live in a world where we all get along but if you don't think there are still weathy people in south africa doing what they can to make sure white people stay well off and to hell with everyone else you would be mistaken. 

I can't answer that question in a paragraph on a forum.  My basic statement is that we can either choose to advance the cycle of hatred or seek another way.  That other way is much more difficult than what can be hammered out by us on this forum.  However, real leaders, regardless of race, will need to step up and lead. Correct, no one has the right to their happiness if it is on the back of someone else.  But let's say the govt takes back all of the land and redistributes it - then we advance the cycle of hate to a new generation.  If white and black leaders could come together and work for the good of their country, (and not their specific racial issues) then maybe they can come up wt a equitable solution. Maybe it is payments or some other solution - without both sides coming together to form the solution, the nation will remain divided and it will never heal from their racial divide.   If it means returning land - whose land do they return - who gets to pick?  This isn't easy. 

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I can't answer that question in a paragraph on a forum.  My basic statement is that we can either choose to advance the cycle of hatred or seek another way.  That other way is much more difficult than what can be hammered out by us on this forum.  However, real leaders, regardless of race, will need to step up and lead. Correct, no one has the right to their happiness if it is on the back of someone else.  But let's say the govt takes back all of the land and redistributes it - then we advance the cycle of hate to a new generation.  If white and black leaders could come together and work for the good of their country, (and not their specific racial issues) then maybe they can come up wt a equitable solution. Maybe it is payments or some other solution - without both sides coming together to form the solution, the nation will remain divided and it will never heal from their racial divide.   If it means returning land - whose land do they return - who gets to pick?  This isn't easy. 

Completely agree with you here and I do understand your sentiment in the original post. As you said, it isn't easy. In the end it won't be fair to someone and they will have to decide it doesn't matter and be bigger than that. I think many inviduals are willing to do so, but it will take everyone. That is the problem we face. Hate is much more easily perpetuated than love. Ultimately the systems now in place must be broken down to their basic premises and reestablished as inclusive and fair. Greed and stubbornness will greatly resist this process. It is a complex issue and as you said we will not come up with a solution here on huskerboard. It will take real dedicated collaborative problem solving and alot of patience and understanding.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Completely agree with you here and I do understand your sentiment in the original post. As you said, it isn't easy. In the end it won't be fair to someone and they will have to decide it doesn't matter and be bigger than that. I think many inviduals are willing to do so, but it will take everyone. That is the problem we face. Hate is much more easily perpetuated than love. Ultimately the systems now in place must be broken down to their basic premises and reestablished as inclusive and fair. Greed and stubbornness will greatly resist this process. It is a complex issue and as you said we will not come up with a solution here on huskerboard. It will take real dedicated collaborative problem solving and alot of patience and understanding.

End of Thread

• Plus1 1