** 2018 Opponent Previews: Ohio State (Game 9) **

The Athletic: Ohio State football begins life without J.T. Barrett

J.T. Barrett was standing on the sidelines of the Woody Hayes Athletic Center’s indoor practice field when Ohio State opened spring practice in mid-March, but his general presence wasn’t enough to fill the void Urban Meyer felt while watching his new team take the practice field for the first time.

Barrett’s career was weird. He helped the Buckeyes win a national title in 2014 as a redshirt freshman, became the program’s first three-time captain and set 39 total records — 34 Ohio State, five Big Ten — yet when he walked off the AT&T Stadium turf Dec. 29 after the Buckeyes’ win against USC in the Cotton Bowl, a large portion of his fan base was fine seeing him go.

The production was always there for Barrett. But so many people were ready to turn the page on a guy who somehow overstayed his welcome despite everything he did. That’s a fact, even if it’s harsh.

https://theathletic.com/335326/2018/05/07/ohio-state-football-season-preview-depth-chart-schedule/ (requires sub)

Athlon: 2018 Buckeyes Preview and Prediction

Ohio State will have a different look at quarterback but Urban Meyer’s team is a legitimate threat to get back to the College Football Playoff after a one-year absence. On offense, the Buckeyes should be solid up front, have an explosive running game and plenty of weapons to throw to. This defense will get after quarterbacks and will rely on the pressure and plays made behind the line of scrimmage as there are some questions and one key injury concern when it comes to the back seven. Even with the loss of seven NFL draft picks, Ohio State is one of the most talented teams in the country and as the Big Ten favorite should remain at the forefront of the playoff conversation.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/ohio-state-football-2018-buckeyes-preview-and-prediction

CollegeFootballNews: Be Perfect. That's All.

Imagine not being able to make a mistake. You can’t have an off day. You can’t have a moment when you simply don’t have it. You can’t ever spill on the rug.

Over the first four seasons of the College Football Playoff era, Ohio State has been one of the four best teams at the end of the regular season in at least three of them. And had there been a College Football Playoff and no bowl ban in the undefeated 2012 season – and, arguably, in 2013, despite the Big Ten Championship loss to Michigan State, too – it would’ve been in the tournament.

Urban Meyer has revived the monster program that should’ve been in the CFP last year, but lost to Baker Mayfield and a great Oklahoma team – no shame there – and had a really, really, really bad day against Iowa. And that’s the problem if you’re Ohio State – and, for that matter, Alabama and Clemson, too, at the moment. You might be able to survive a loss, but you can’t have a really, really, really bad, ill-timed one, and forget about it if there’s a second defeat on the year.

https://collegefootballnews.com/2018/06/ohio-state-buckeyes-college-football

– What You Need To Know: Offense | Defense
– Top Players, Key Game, Fun Stats
– What Will Happen & Win Total Prediction

SBNation: Good lord, Ohio State is stacked

But one thing is certain: the security blanket is gone. Barrett’s gone, and the defense that the Buckeyes were so capable of leaning on must replace three of its top four tacklers on the line, at least two of three linebackers (with a third in injury limbo), and three of five defensive backs.

Mind you, Ohio State is still projected No. 1 in S&P+. Meyer returns lots of experienced pieces and has upgraded his recruiting from weapons-grade to nuclear, with raw recruiting rankings suggesting this might be the most talented Ohio State team ever. But with a new QB, there might be a few more week-to-week mistakes, and to win at the level the Buckeyes are expecting, he might have to loosen the reins and take more chances.

That could work brilliantly for Ohio State fans and fans of fun football, but it’s not guaranteed to.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/7/9/17514458/ohio-state-football-2018-preview-schedule-roster

More to come...

• Plus1 2

• 4 weeks later...

2 hours ago, Hilltop said:

This game just got more interesting...  Buckle up for another Ohio State scandal and coach firing.  

I think he will hold on. Sadly, if they just rope-a-dope for a while, the news and outrage will move on to a new target.

Edit: 6:13 pm on August 1st. Urban Meyer has been placed on "paid administrative leave as they investigate his handling of the domestic abuse allegations".

Regarding the game, it is worth noting that BOTH teams have two weeks to prepare for this one.

I still think he'll come out clear on this thing.  Them suspending him is the right thing for now, but unless they find actual texts or emails from his wife telling him about the abuse, it will be she said / he said.  And as much as I'd like to see him gone forever, I think there is way to much "guilty until proven innocent" crap going on in this country right now.

7 minutes ago, grandpasknee said:

I still think he'll come out clear on this thing.  Them suspending him is the right thing for now, but unless they find actual texts or emails from his wife telling him about the abuse, it will be she said / he said.  And as much as I'd like to see him gone forever, I think there is way to much "guilty until proven innocent" crap going on in this country right now.

Edit: I see it's texts to his wife now. But I don't think it's going to matter.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/bigten/2018/08/01/urban-meyer-knew-abuse-claims-ohio-state-assistant-zach-smith/880995002/

Smith’s then-wife, Courtney Smith, detailed the alleged abuse to Meyer’s wife, Shelley, via text messages in 2015, according to the texts obtained by former ESPN reporter Brett McMurphy.

1 hour ago, Chadhusker said:

Urban is prolly a goner 

I would imagine that there is some negotiated private settlement being hammered out between Ohio St./Urban & the ex-Mrs. Smith which, when combined with a very generous and very public donation to a women’s shelter, will allow Ohio St. to keep the chastened head coach.

How is it that you have to have evidence that you talked to your wife. That’s ludicrous.

Urban freaking knew. He knew about 2009 and he knew about 2015 and everything in between. 

Anyone who thinks that spouses don’t talk to one another in their home is nuts. 

Urban is gone

why else would Smith also say in a text to his wife that if this all came out and he got fired he was gunna bring everyone down with him? Because THEY ALL KNEW IT WAS GOING ON!

• Plus1 2