B1G Returning to Eight Conference Games per Year?

9 hours ago, Mavric said:

Reading more of Moos’ quotes, I think it’s possible that they are talking about not stack the top team’s schedule against each other so much instead of going back to eight games.  

Instead of Nebraska playing Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State and Michigan State so much, we’d have Rutgers, Maryland and Indiana mixed in more often.

I’m not sure.  But I think either is possible based on what Moos said.

That would be extremely hard to do on an annual basis and how is that fair to Indiana, Rutgers and Maryland? And don't we WANT to play the top teams? I sure as hell do.

• Plus1 1

I think you balance it out by getting away from the idea that you have to play a home and home with the non-divisional opponents.  Just play 4 non-divisional games a year.  2 home and 2 away and have them rotate every year.  For example Nebraska could play:

Year 1:  Home-OSU, Maryland.  Away-Michigan, Rutgers

Year 2:  Home-Michigan St, Indiana.  Away-OSU, PSU

Year 3:  Home:  Michigan, Rutgers.  Away-Maryland, Michigan St

Year 4:  Home:  Penn St, Ohio St.  Away-Indiana, Michigan

Etc, etc, etc

15 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

Stop having the same crossover opponent for 6 years in a row would be a start...

Yup.

For example, by 2019 Nebraska will have played OSU 6 times, and Indiana twice, since joining the league in 2011. During that same span Iowa will have played Ohio State twice, Indiana 6 times.

It makes no sense.

7 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I think you balance it out by getting away from the idea that you have to play a home and home with the non-divisional opponents.  Just play 4 non-divisional games a year.  2 home and 2 away and have them rotate every year.  For example Nebraska could play:

Year 1:  Home-OSU, Maryland.  Away-Michigan, Rutgers

Year 2:  Home-Michigan St, Indiana.  Away-OSU, PSU

Year 3:  Home:  Michigan, Rutgers.  Away-Maryland, Michigan St

Year 4:  Home:  Penn St, Ohio St.  Away-Indiana, Michigan

Etc, etc, etc

So then NU plays 10 conference games?

9 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

So then NU plays 10 conference games?

If it means not having to play South Alabama, Central Michigan, and Troy, yes.

Edit- But the same rotation could be done for 9 conference games just have 2 home, 1 away one year and 1 home and 2 away the next year.  The point was to rotate and not play home and homes all the time

10 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

If it means not having to play South Alabama, Central Michigan, and Troy, yes.

Edit- But the same rotation could be done for 9 conference games just have 2 home, 1 away one year and 1 home and 2 away the next year.  The point was to rotate and not play home and homes all the time

As a fan or league exec, maybe you want big names every week, but as a coach or player you want at least a couple games each year that aren't grind-it-out 4 quarter battles. Plus a little variety in non conference is nice.

I kind of like a home game or two each year that isn't a big name - it's much easier to find tickets to the game at a reasonable price for a family.

2 hours ago, Redux said:

The thing I miss the most about the Big XII is the balanced scheduling every year.  Even though it was a bummer we missed out on a yearly OU game, we had a balanced slate of games.  Trading Texas, A&M and Okie State for OU, Baylor and Texas Tech never felt like a daunting task and every year it felt like a strong and balanced schedule but one that we could navigate.

It shouldn't be that hard to replicate. I'd actually welcome a return of the protected rivalries from the Leaders/Legends days. 

17 minutes ago, Saunders said:

It's not going to happen, but we're at a competitive disadvantage playing 9 games, and I'd like to see us go to 8 if the other conferences wont go to 9.. All the committee cares about is how many wins you have as a brand, see: Alabama 2017.

Exactly.  You try to win your league by beating as many other league mates as possible.  Or if you're Alabama, an ACC/B1G on a doen year at a neutral site to open the year and FAMU before Auburn.

14 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

Hope so...

Would be the perfect time to add Oklahoma and Kansas and create the 4 - 4 team pods.

Play your pod and the pod designated as your half of the conference every year and rotate through the other pods +1 each year.

I hope this happens, but I would prefer to keep 9 games if it does. 3 games in your home pod. 4 games from a second pod, and 2 from a 3rd pod. The second year you play the 4th pod and the remaining two from the 3rd pod. You get to play everyone every 2 years.