Huskers Looking to Schedule Old Big 8 Opponents?

Not sure what time frame he is looking at but if you combine this with the B1G possibly going back to eight conference games in 2022, we'd need to schedule an additional opponent starting that year.

Current OOC schedule:

2022 - North Dakota, Georgia Southern, Oklahoma

2023 - Colorado, Northern Illinois

2024 - South Dakota State, Colorado

2025 - @ Cincinnati

2026 - Tennessee, North Dakota

2027 - @ Tennessee

2028 - South Dakota State, Arizona

2029 - @ Oklahoma

2030 - Oklahoma

2031 - @ Arizona

Eight would be ideal, and even if the B1G does add two current Big X schools, you can still pull off eight game conference seasons--it's just that we won't ever see any of the other half of the conference, save for one game a season and the conference championship. 

Kinda wish instead of everyone going back to eight, the NCAA would mandate nine game conference scheduling for any conference with 12 or more schools playing football. And to throw everyone a bone for aligning on this, they can also give everyone an extra non-con game to schedule. So yeah, we'd be looking at 13 game schedules, and up to 16 including conference title and NC game(s). 

My preferred setup for future schedules would look something like this: 

- 8 Conference games

- 1 Group of 5 game (preferably within the higher tier of G5 teams: UCF, USF, Memphis, etc)

- 2 mid-tier Power 5 games (Colorado, Kansas State, UCLA, Ole Miss, etc)

- 1 high-tier Power 5 game (Oklahoma, Washington, Oregon, Miami, Florida, Florida State, Virginia Tech, etc)

No more FCS teams and no more lower-tier Group of 5 teams. 

• Plus1 5

27 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

- 8 Conference games

- 1 Group of 5 game (preferably within the higher tier of G5 teams: UCF, USF, Memphis, etc)

- 1 high-tier Power 5 game (Oklahoma, Washington, Oregon, Miami, Florida, Florida State, Virginia Tech, etc)

I wouldn't have a problem with this now that we have a competent coaching staff that should have us ready to compete with almost anyone very soon.

• Plus1 1
39 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Scheduling bad OOC teams makes sense as long as the Alabamas of the world keep doing it.

Steel sharpens steel, and right now, we're as dull as rusty pruning shears. 

58 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

I wouldn't have a problem with this now that we have a competent coaching staff that should have us ready to compete with almost anyone very soon.

That, and it would give better value to ticket holders. 

1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

- 8 Conference games

How do you determine higher tier G5 or Power 5 teams years in advance when schedules are made?  UCF would not have been a higher tier G5 a couple of years ago.  We would like to project ourselves as a high tier P5 team in the future but based on recent years - not so much.

14 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

How do you determine higher tier G5 or Power 5 teams years in advance when schedules are made?  UCF would not have been a higher tier G5 a couple of years ago.  We would like to project ourselves as a high tier P5 team in the future but based on recent years - not so much.

The whole process of how scheduling is done in CFB needs to be revamped, because that metric can be applied to virtually any school, not just G5. We kind of lucked out this year: Akron and Troy aren't marquee teams, but they both were really good last year, so they should provide good matchups. 

I typically have been not that into needing to schedule our old Big 8 opponents.  I always thought that now that we are out from playing them every year, let's go play teams we haven't every played or rarely played.  Many times those are in the recruiting hot beds too.

However, Maybe a few games with these teams now wouldn't be a bad idea.  We are trying to win some recruiting battles within our surrounding states and if we (now that we have a good staff) go prove we are still the big dog over these teams, those battles might be easier to win.

It would also give easy away games to drive to for Nebraska residents.  

For all the good the move to the Big Ten has done for NU, one thing that can't be replicated is the history and (mostly one-sided) rivalries we built up with the old Big 8 teams back in the day. It would be great to play some of those teams again in my opinion. I'd much rather play KSU, KU, Missouri, OU, OSU, Colorado, ISU instead of Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, Number12 said:

For all the good the move to the Big Ten has done for NU, one thing that can't be replicated is the history and (mostly one-sided) rivalries we built up with the old Big 8 teams back in the day. It would be great to play some of those teams again in my opinion. I'd much rather play KSU, KU, Missouri, OU, OSU, Colorado, ISU instead of Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I agree - and playing OU and Ok State would bring the Huskers close to my home - so I can watch them. :D

But to BRB point - playing some schools in the recruiting hot beds would increase our exposure.  It would be neat to see us play Georgia Tech - to see  basically our old Offense against our new ( I think Scott would remember how our D defended against our O when he was QB).  There are so many options of good schools to play in Florida and Texas and California. 

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I agree - and playing OU and Ok State would bring the Huskers close to my home - so I can watch them. :D

But to BRB point - playing some schools in the recruiting hot beds would increase our exposure.  It would be neat to see us play Georgia Tech - to see  basically our old Offense against our new ( I think Scott would remember how our D defended against our O when he was QB).  There are so many options of good schools to play in Florida and Texas and California. 

When did we ever run the Georgia Tech style option? 

• Plus1 3