Huskers Looking to Schedule Old Big 8 Opponents?

57 minutes ago, Mavric said:

It will be interesting to see how they do this.  I wouldn't want Kansas to be the "big" OOC game - because it wouldn't be.  But if it was a secondary game - Oklahoma, Tennessee, Oregon, etc. being the primary game - it would be handy to have another close Power 5 team to play.

I wouldn't mind playing KState but it's not a big enough game to be the "big" game - plus no recruiting location advantage - but maybe too big to be the secondary game.

Kinda depends on the year with KState, although with Snyder getting old I'm assuming they're going to go downhill in the near future. If we were to play KSU and another power 5 team then the 3rd game needs to be a very easy warm up game.

• Plus1 1

On 6/11/2018 at 8:35 PM, Landlord said:

Like Michigan, Wisconsin, Florida State, Virginia Tech, Penn State, and USC?

They schedule them for one offs, on a neutral site, in week 1.  It's the trojan horse of scheduling a strong ooc opponent.  And you know this.

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Kinda depends on the year with KState, although with Snyder getting old I'm assuming they're going to go downhill in the near future. If we were to play KSU and another power 5 team then the 3rd game needs to be a very easy warm up game.

This is what I was thinking. I fully expect them to disappear once Granny Snyder retires

11 hours ago, Redux said:

They schedule them foe one offs, on a neutral site, in week 1.  It's the trojan horse of scheduling a strong ooc opponent.  And you know this.

Scheduling a strong out of conference opponent in week one is...a scary and dangerous proposition that 95% of other P5 schools are too afraid to do.

3 hours ago, Landlord said:

Scheduling a strong out of conference opponent in week one is...a scary and dangerous proposition that 95% of other P5 schools are too afraid to do.

Just this year you have Northwestern/Purdue, Texas/Maryland, Mississippi/Texas Tech, Washington/Auburn, Tennessee/West Virginia, North Carolina/California, Michigan/Notre Dame, Louisville/Alabama, BYU/Arizona, Miami/LSU and Virginia Tech/Florida State plus Colorado/Colorado State which is a rivalry game.  So that's 23 out of 66 P5 (plus high independents) playing another P5/rivalry game in Week 1.  That's over 34%, not 5%.  And that's just this year.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Landlord said:

Alabama, consistently a top 5 team the last 10 years, scheduling the teams you listed, probably anywhere to 50th to 25th range, is not exactly a daunting task.  Week 1 is when most teams still don't know who they are yet.  And these games are played on a neutral site, closer to Alabama than the other team typically.  It's not as scary of a concept as you make it sound.  It's brilliant on their part, as is the Citadel game before rivalry week.

On 5/22/2018 at 11:02 AM, Swiv3D said:

When did we ever run the Georgia Tech style option? 

1997.  Actually we ran quite a bit of the "Flexbone" that year.  Although what Nebraska ran pre-dated Paul Johnson at Georgia Tech.  I am not sure where TO picked up this formation from honestly.  But it is pretty darn similar to what Paul Johnson has been doing at Georgia Tech these last _____ years.

Go to the 33:40 and 48:03 marks and you'll see examples of the "Flexbone" formation.  I put Flexbone in quotes because I have no idea what it is actually called.

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

Just this year you have Northwestern/Purdue, Texas/Maryland, Mississippi/Texas Tech, Washington/Auburn, Tennessee/West Virginia, North Carolina/California, Michigan/Notre Dame, Louisville/Alabama, BYU/Arizona, Miami/LSU and Virginia Tech/Florida State plus Colorado/Colorado State which is a rivalry game.  So that's 23 out of 66 P5 (plus high independents) playing another P5/rivalry game in Week 1.  That's over 34%, not 5%.  And that's just this year.

Well, first of all, I was referring to their overall habit of doing this mostly every year, not just the fact that it is something that has been done once. Second of all, it's hyperbole, not stats class. Third of all, out of the 12 matchups you listed, 1 includes Bama, 1 is a conference game, and maybe half would qualify under the metrics of the types and caliber of teams that Alabama usually schedules (funny enough, Alabama's doesn't really qualify either). 

2 hours ago, Redux said:

Alabama, consistently a top 5 team the last 10 years, scheduling the teams you listed, probably anywhere to 50th to 25th range, is not exactly a daunting task. 

'08 vs #9 Clemson

'09 vs #7 Virginia Tech

'10 vs San Jose State

'11 vs Kent State (important to note that in '11 and '11 they played a home and home with Penn State in week 2)

'12 vs #8 Michigan

'13 vs unranked Virginia Tech

'14 vs unranked West Virginia

'15 vs #20 Wisconsin

'16 vs #20 USC

'17 vs #3 Florida State

Actually not quite as impressive as I remembered once I looked! But also, without doing the research, way more ballsy than any other program over the last 10 years I'd imagine.

1 hour ago, Landlord said:

Well, first of all, I was referring to their overall habit of doing this mostly every year, not just the fact that it is something that has been done once. Second of all, it's hyperbole, not stats class. Third of all, out of the 12 matchups you listed, 1 includes Bama, 1 is a conference game, and maybe half would qualify under the metrics of the types and caliber of teams that Alabama usually schedules (funny enough, Alabama's doesn't really qualify either). 

'08 vs #9 Clemson

'09 vs #7 Virginia Tech

'10 vs San Jose State

'11 vs Kent State (important to note that in '11 and '11 they played a home and home with Penn State in week 2)

'12 vs #8 Michigan

'13 vs unranked Virginia Tech

'14 vs unranked West Virginia

'15 vs #20 Wisconsin

'16 vs #20 USC

'17 vs #3 Florida State

Actually not quite as impressive as I remembered once I looked! But also, without doing the research, way more ballsy than any other program over the last 10 years I'd imagine.

How many of those were actual road games?

• Plus1 2
9 hours ago, Mavric said:

I think this is going to become more commonplace for a couple of reasons.

Cable needs people watching compelling match ups week after week.  So teams are being asked to reconfigure their schedule.  Also, the "danger" of losing a big game early in the season is almost non-existent with regards to being in the hunt for a spot in the CFP.

I'm a big fan of this and will continue to wish and hope for a day when P5 schools only play other P5 schools game 1 through 12.

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

My source says we are close to scheduling something with K-State... I know, not that crazy considering Moos just made comments about them and Kansas... I’m just giving you the news I heard.

Personally I would prefer KU - its a 40 minute drive for me and only 200 KU fans show up for football so it would be like an additional home game.