Huskers Looking to Schedule Old Big 8 Opponents?

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/23/2018 at 2:35 PM, ColoradoHusk said:

I wonder if Moos has gotten complaints from Nebraskans saying that traveling to Big Ten schools are a total pain in the ass, and it would be nice to play road games closer to Nebraska.

I have no idea about the complaints and the perceptions of the fanbase as far as road games go, but the reality is not very much a big deal imo. Northwestern, Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin and Iowa are all within 5-8 hours of Lincoln, while Purdue, Indiana, illinois, Michigan, and Ohio State are all within 12. Most all Big XII schools were within 5-8 so there is something to be said there, but the difference between 8-12 hours is not that big of a deal in the context of a weekend trip across states. 

5 hours ago, Landlord said:

I have no idea about the complaints and the perceptions of the fanbase as far as road games go, but the reality is not very much a big deal imo. Northwestern, Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin and Iowa are all within 5-8 hours of Lincoln, while Purdue, Indiana, illinois, Michigan, and Ohio State are all within 12. Most all Big XII schools were within 5-8 so there is something to be said there, but the difference between 8-12 hours is not that big of a deal in the context of a weekend trip across states. 

Personally, I think there is a huge difference in driving 8-12 hours compared to 4-8 hours. Anything more than 6 hours and I start to hate the drive. Say the drive is 6 hours, I can leave in the morning, get to the destination, and enjoy the afternoon/evening. If that drive were 10 hours, I wouldn’t get to my destination until the evening and I would be pretty tired from the drive so I wouldn’t be able to enjoy much of that first evening. Then going back home after the game is even worse.  Getting back late afternoon/early evening and getting ready to go back to work on Monday is not ideal. I think there is a significant difference when another 4 hours are added to the drive. It’s almost doubling the drive time. 

• Plus1 2
15 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Personally, I think there is a huge difference in driving 8-12 hours compared to 4-8 hours. Anything more than 6 hours and I start to hate the drive. Say the drive is 6 hours, I can leave in the morning, get to the destination, and enjoy the afternoon/evening. If that drive were 10 hours, I wouldn’t get to my destination until the evening and I would be pretty tired from the drive so I wouldn’t be able to enjoy much of that first evening. Then going back home after the game is even worse.  Getting back late afternoon/early evening and getting ready to go back to work on Monday is not ideal. I think there is a significant difference when another 4 hours are added to the drive. It’s almost doubling the drive time. 

Yep!

I think 3 hours is "the limit' for the same day trip...game is at 2:30 so you leave at 7am get there at 10am and party...game ends or you leave at 6 and get home just after 9.

Once you get to the lame travel times of the Big Ten games you realize how annoying it is.

I guess I'm just weird - I take 8-14 hour drives all the time and am usually ready to party when I get to my destination :lol:

Either way, 5 of our guaranteed yearly conference games are within the same time footprint as most of the Big XII was. So 2.5 a year (assuming half home/away) are within perfectly reasonable driving distance that isn't anything new than what we've dealt with for the last several decades. If someone's planning on going to more than 2-3 road games a year, they've obviously got enough money in their lives to shell out for a flight or an extra night staying somewhere.

We drove 9 hours to wrestling camp this year in Dubuque, IA. 

If you can keep yourself entertained it’s not bad, at least for me. However both drives were fine because we were there for 4.5 days.

Road games suck for us out here west of Lexington. It’s 3 hours to Lincoln and 3.5 to Boulder. So a road game to CU is about the same as a home game for us.

There is also the fact that travel on Friday is impossible with coaching HS football, at least till the final 3-4 games for NU. Even then the other coaches have to understand that I wouldn’t pull my weight on film for that week if it were during HS season. 

Such is life though. 

11 hours ago, Landlord said:

I guess I'm just weird - I take 8-14 hour drives all the time and am usually ready to party when I get to my destination :lol:

Either way, 5 of our guaranteed yearly conference games are within the same time footprint as most of the Big XII was. So 2.5 a year (assuming half home/away) are within perfectly reasonable driving distance that isn't anything new than what we've dealt with for the last several decades. If someone's planning on going to more than 2-3 road games a year, they've obviously got enough money in their lives to shell out for a flight or an extra night staying somewhere.

Not weird, just young enough to do it. I used to think nothing of driving 8-14 hours in a day (drove 23 hours straight returning from Auburn game in 82). But now that I've aged some, anything over 5 or 6 hours is fairly unpleasant.

12 hours ago, Landlord said:

Iowa State, KU, and K-State are close to Omaha and Lincoln where fans can make that trip back and forth in the same day. Missouri, CU, OU, and Okie State are comfortable 3-day weekend type trips. The only Big Ten schools comparable to any of the old Big 8 schools are Iowa, Northwestern, Minnesota, and Illinois, and they all require hotel stays for fans. Going any further is a total pain for Nebraska based fans.

I understand there are NU alumni and fans spread across the country, so the new Big Ten schools are good for fans in Chicago, Minneapolis, or other cities in the Big Ten area. Buto say the Big Ten West has the same footprint is wrong.  The trips for the base of Nebraska fans are now considerably longer.