Vegas sets Huskers Over/Under at 5.5 wins

I can't imagine that we won't win the 6 we are projected to win and at least 1 or 2 of the ones we aren't. O/U 5.5?  Practically like taking candy from a baby. Hell, just not having Riley, Diaco, Langsdorf and Cavanaugh on our side should translate to 3 or 4 more wins than last year.

6 hours ago, Caliborn72 said:

Sorry if already posted, here is ESPN’s FPI projections:

nebraskasched.png

Seems somewhat fair at 6-6, but I wouldn’t agree with most of the percentages. Specifically Northwestern: that seems like more of a toss-up than anything. Purdue and Colorado games likely determine if we go bowling, have to like our chances there.

My main concern for this year is our depth, which sounds shaky and possibly worse than I expected. Depth issues means I have no confidence in the last 5 games or so, excluding Illinois. Iowa on the road is a manageable game unless we are dealing with some injuries by that point.

Yeah, pretty much what would be expected.  We're a pretty solid favorite on all the home games except Purdue (:blink:) and an expected loss to Michigan State.  Going 6-1 at home is pretty realistic.

I'm not surprised that we're a heavy dog in the road games but I agree that NW will be no worse than a toss-up by the time it gets here and it won't surprise me if we're a slight favorite.  The other road games we'll likely be a solid underdog unless we're really rolling by the end of the season.  But if we can get pas NW - which I think we will - and steal one other game somewhere - I would say Iowa then Wisconsin would be my next most likely - 8-4 isn't that far-fetched.

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

The only concern is can our OL be better and can our CB’s tackle and cover. If those are both yes, than we probably win 9+ games including bowl season.

That's mostly how I see it, too, maybe not as many wins as new staffs have a tendency to lose a few close ones. 

The OL has a long ways to go this summer, but I think by the time the season ends we will have a pretty good starting unit. Thin after that, though, and injuries could be devastating.

The secondary needs some youngins to step up. Flat out inadequate numbers.

• 3 weeks later...

Over on 5.5 

im so excited....... but realize the battle ahead. Program is suffering.  All the positive things going on don’t mean s#!t when the games are played.  

Be real...Frost doesn’t have his guys yet, QB unknown (QB!!), new system, new way....

i think enthusiasm alone nets 2 more wins, so take the over but a truly “nice” season of 8-10 wins would be above all bets and money. 

Also, I don’t gamble ever....especially on the only team I love 

• Plus1 1

On June 12, 2018 at 12:35 AM, I am I said:

Be real...Frost doesn’t have his guys yet, QB unknown (QB!!), new system, new way....

Think of how far along each of these are:

- A lot of "his guys" will play. Recruited a full boat, along with a great walk-on class, then has added to that with attrition. That's not including guys that were redshirts or low usage guys last year that fit well. The downside is this means a lot of inexperience, which is a good reason to get excited for year 2.

- Either way the QB is going to be young. Frosh QBs are doing quite well these days, likely due to all the 7 on 7 and camp work they get in year round. Both eligible scholarship QBs are also very mature and hard working. Neither left Mario's hip pocket during the Spring game. I expect both to have a great summer.

- Staff reiterated during the tour what we already knew: the continuity has resulted in them being ahead of schedule. We saw it in the spring game as both sides competently executed the new systems. Needs polish, needs detail, but that's overachieving for your typical Year 1. This kind of thing snowballs; the better you enter summer the better you enter the fall. The summer period is the most important practice period of the year and if you're set up well there you have a leg up.