Vegas sets Huskers Over/Under at 5.5 wins

1 hour ago, brophog said:

Think of how far along each of these are:

- A lot of "his guys" will play. Recruited a full boat, along with a great walk-on class, then has added to that with attrition. That's not including guys that were redshirts or low usage guys last year that fit well. The downside is this means a lot of inexperience, which is a good reason to get excited for year 2.

- Either way the QB is going to be young. Frosh QBs are doing quite well these days, likely due to all the 7 on 7 and camp work they get in year round. Both eligible scholarship QBs are also very mature and hard working. Neither left Mario's hip pocket during the Spring game. I expect both to have a great summer.

- Staff reiterated during the tour what we already knew: the continuity has resulted in them being ahead of schedule. We saw it in the spring game as both sides competently executed the new systems. Needs polish, needs detail, but that's overachieving for your typical Year 1. This kind of thing snowballs; the better you enter summer the better you enter the fall. The summer period is the most important practice period of the year and if you're set up well there you have a leg up.

Counter point- 

The team was really bad last year and that doesnt get fixed overnight.

I think we get to 6 or 7 wins but still major weak spots in this team will need to get fixed.

Long term= excited

Short term= patience

• Plus1 2

In all seriousness, one I kinda like if you got a good price is Rutgers Over 4. Mostly because they're making some good offensive changes and may have a semi-legit QB and RB this year. They really couldn't get worse. The value is in the non-con including Texas State, Kansas, and Buffalo. Throw in Illinois and Indiana and there's five without a real upset. The downside is any other win would be.

• 2 months later...

Nebraska 2018 regular-season win total:
Over 5.5 (-105)
Under 5.5 (-125)
Pick: Over

The Cornhuskers were at their lowest point in recent memory after the predictably ill-advised Mike Riley Experiment ended with four straight losses and the last three opponents scoring a minimum of 54 points. But the program scored a major coup in hiring iconic figure Scott Frost, whose dazzling transformation of Central Florida from winless to undefeated is one of the most remarkable coaching feats seen at the FBS level. The pressure will be on Frost to conduct another rapid about-face at his alma mater. It won't be easy considering the team's massive shortcomings on the defensive side, though Frost has some offensive weapons to work with. If Frost can extract an on-field performance that is slightly better than what his on-paper roster suggests is its ceiling, this club could easily become bowl-eligible in his first season.  

Link

16 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, I thought maybe it had gone back down.  But I went to look after I posted it and they must be using old lines.

And you got to roll with -125, so you have to pay the premium.  It's like .8 to 1, better to bet 7 or 8 or 9 and take the odds bump. 

On 5/24/2018 at 5:38 PM, Caliborn72 said:

Sorry if already posted, here is ESPN’s FPI projections:

nebraskasched.png

Seems somewhat fair at 6-6, but I wouldn’t agree with most of the percentages. Specifically Northwestern: that seems like more of a toss-up than anything. Purdue and Colorado games likely determine if we go bowling, have to like our chances there.

My main concern for this year is our depth, which sounds shaky and possibly worse than I expected. Depth issues means I have no confidence in the last 5 games or so, excluding Illinois. Iowa on the road is a manageable game unless we are dealing with some injuries by that point.

Is anyone else like me and totally forgot about Troy? 

I thought of the season as Akron, Colorado...some other teams,....Ohio State, Michigan and our division. For some reason I thought we drew Penn State out of the east too.....

• Plus1 1
On 6/13/2018 at 11:04 AM, teachercd said:

Don't even get me started!  The only guy that thinks I am good at betting is my bookie...and that is because I am putting his kids through college.

I am certain the Huskers will beat the Vegas line, but I am also certain that I am worse at betting than you. If I bet on the Huskers it would guarantee a losing season.