New NCAA Coaching-Change Rule Helping Huskers?

Aid After Departure of Head Coach, was passed and adopted by the NCAA last year and became effective on August 1, 2017. The rule allows for athletic programs to no longer count student-athletes toward the scholarship number, but for those former student-athletes to still receive financial aid in subsequent academic years.

The official wording of NCAA bylaw 15.5.1.6 reads like this:

A student-athlete who receives athletically related institutional financial aid in subsequent academic years after the departure of a head coach from the institution is not a counter, provided:

The student-athlete participated in the applicable sport and received athletically related institutional financial aid during the coach's tenure at the institution; and the student-athlete does not participate in the applicable sport during subsequent academic years at the institution.

This legislation had been in place just for men’s basketball, before a change to the legislation this past year, but with recent transitions at football last semester, and new coaches coming for men’s golf and men’s tennis, this will be the first opportunity it could take place at Nebraska.

Student-athletes who might not fit with the new scheme or system, could still opt to stay at Nebraska and have education paid for through graduation.

Nebraska’s Director for Compliance, Jamie Vaughn, said the school is still working through the legislation because of its newness, but believes it will be beneficial to all parties.

Tanner Lee was ruled immediately eligible after transferring from Tulane were the coaching staff was replaced and the offensive scheme of the new staff was not a fit for his skill set. With the new option of staying at The original school on scholarship (just not playing football) create a meaningful alternative that the NCAA would not allow such petitions for immediate eligibility to be approved?

21 minutes ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

Tanner Lee was ruled immediately eligible after transferring from Tulane were the coaching staff was replaced and the offensive scheme of the new staff was not a fit for his skill set. With the new option of staying at The original school on scholarship (just not playing football) create a meaningful alternative that the NCAA would not allow such petitions for immediate eligibility to be approved?

Tanner Lee was not immediately eligible, he had to sit out a year. They did, however, grant him an additional year of eligibility - which he ended up not using because of the coaching change.

There are a few examples that somewhat prove your point, but most are transferring from a school that has been put on sanctions.

• Plus1 1
42 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

Tanner Lee was not immediately eligible, he had to sit out a year. They did, however, grant him an additional year of eligibility - which he ended up not using because of the coaching change.

There are a few examples that somewhat prove your point, but most are transferring from a school that has been put on sanctions.

Thanks for the correction.

10 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Maybe this makes me a jerk but I'm gonna say it anyway.

I am kinda fine with people leaving this year. Every time someone has left (minus Decker) my first thought is that makes more room for more people Frost thinks fit his offense and defense.

You're not a jerk for saying it.  I think most of the people on this board will agree with this.  Yes, it may hurt the depth in year 1, but it will allow the young kids to get experience, who are also better fits for Frost's schemes.

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I am kinda fine with people leaving this year. Every time someone has left (minus Decker) my first thought is that makes more room for more people Frost thinks fit his offense and defense.

Ya, outside of Decker everyone that's left was down on the depthchart. He was the only one that hurt., otherwise necessary schollie space was opened-up. Plus we'll still be paying for Brokop and Decker to go to school. 

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I like to see roster churn and we probably need more of it. Bring in more JUCOs to replace players that have been in the program for a few years since whatever they were doing to prepare themselves is suspect, given the results.  Bell is a good example. He seems very motivated, loves working out and if he has a deficiency such as blocking that’s keeping him from seeing the field, he’ll fix it.