** 2018 Opponent Previews: Michigan (Game 4) **

40 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Openers like that can ruin a team.

They hear all the time how s#!tty their offense is and what happens in the first game?  The offense was s#!tty.

They hear how amazing their defense is and what happens in the first game?  The defense was s#!tty.

This is where teammates can start to blame and point fingers at each other.  Lucky for them I think they have a few lame teams up next.  But these guy know the deal...they know they are there to win a NC and now they know that is almost all but out the window.  One more loss, especially at home and the s#!t will hit the fan.  It sucks that it happens but it happens.  We have all played on, coached or been a fan of a team that starts to mail it in.

Not only that, but the (freshman) 2nd string QB played better than the starter (highly regarded transfer) when the starting QB left the game with cramps. Then the starter came back in and their momentum stalled again. I can imagine some finger pointing going on in that locker room.

Idk that we'll beat them, but if w do, the wheels are going to fall off big time for them.

5 minutes ago, Oade said:

Not only that, but the (freshman) 2nd string QB played better than the starter (highly regarded transfer) when the starting QB left the game with cramps. Then the starter came back in and their momentum stalled again. I can imagine some finger pointing going on in that locker room.

Idk that we'll beat them, but if w do, the wheels are going to fall off big time for them.

I forgot about that.  Good point.

And it isn't that the players will quit...it is just that you sense a change.  Shoot, look at us fans last year with Riley, we still love the huskers but it was really easy to not be as into the games...it is the same for the players.  Once Michigan gets that second loss this year you will probably see a very bored unhyped team out there.

I have had seasons where me and my staff are basically pretty happy to get it over.  The players know what is up.

On 9/2/2018 at 9:29 PM, Dilly Dilly said:

Was just reading that Meatchicken is 9-9 in their last 18, and has a 4 game losing streak. (They should break that vs Western Michigan next game, though).  It doesn't feel like that to me, but then again, i don't follow them closely at all.   I thought he was a really good coach, but those numbers make me do a double-take.

Luck and Kaepernick made him look like a good coach. I've been saying it since he's been in Michigan, they're a paper tiger. They beat the teams they're supposed to beat, but they tend to struggle with anybody who can compete. Honestly when I watch them play Maryland in person a few years ago I was not impressed. The players (though I'm sure they ranked high in recruiting stats) weren't anymore talented than what was at NU for the last 10 years. They don't really have speed. They look like a Michigan team from the 90s. They have a great defense, but pretty average statue QBs.

7 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Luck and Kaepernick made him look like a good coach. I've been saying it since he's been in Michigan, they're a paper tiger. They beat the teams they're supposed to beat, but they tend to struggle with anybody who can compete. Honestly when I watch them play Maryland in person a few years ago I was not impressed. The players (though I'm sure they ranked high in recruiting stats) weren't anymore talented than what was at NU for the last 10 years. They don't really have speed. They look like a Michigan team from the 90s. They have a great defense, but pretty average statue QBs.

And none of that should be the case given how well they've recruited for several years, including under Hoke.

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

And none of that should be the case given how well they've recruited for several years, including under Hoke.

I know. I was kind of shocked. I think it speaks to their development more than natural talent. No one has ever really seen Harbaugh develope a program...

On 9/3/2018 at 6:44 AM, Oade said:

Not sure I agree. Patterson went 20 of 30 for 230 yards while running his ass off. That is not bad considering the duress he was under. 21 pressures and 3 sacks out of 30 attempts.

Both offensive tackles sucked. They were responsible for 15 of the 21 pressures and all 3 sacks. I had another post mentioning that these were the two positions of concern. If NU can exploit the edges it will be another long day for Michigan.

• Plus1 2

There was that question going in on how Michigan would manage this disconnect between Patterson's kinda wild style and Harbaugh's more conservative style. It winds up being a compromise using much more shotgun than Harbaugh usually uses, but still maintaining a ball control style. One series would be shotgun, another under center. Three plays shotgun, three plays center. It was inconsistent and messy. In reigning in Patterson, I don't know that you get the best of him, and he seemed frustrated. There are a lot of questions remaining, but I think ultimately they'll find something that works. I'm just not sure in what year.

There's no question these changes impacted the offensive line. They were never in sync, even on running plays. They didn't seem comfortable. Snaps and timing were a serious issue. Notre Dame took advantage, too. On many occasions when Michigan went 4 or 5 wide, Notre Dame would go Cover 1, man up on the outside and throw everyone else on the LOS to confuse Michigan's blocking schemes. Sometimes Michigan simply got confused, others they didn't have adequate numbers. It was a brilliant gambit in an opener. It was also made possible because Notre Dame showed no respect to Michigan receivers and tight ends. That's an area to watch for in coming weeks.

Defensively, Michigan was fine. A few big plays in that first quarter really hurt, but otherwise they were very solid. 2.8 ypc against a mobile QB is good. That's still a very dangerous defense.

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, brophog said:

There was that question going in on how Michigan would manage this disconnect between Patterson's kinda wild style and Harbaugh's more conservative style. It winds up being a compromise using much more shotgun than Harbaugh usually uses, but still maintaining a ball control style. One series would be shotgun, another under center. Three plays shotgun, three plays center. It was inconsistent and messy. In reigning in Patterson, I don't know that you get the best of him, and he seemed frustrated. There are a lot of questions remaining, but I think ultimately they'll find something that works. I'm just not sure in what year.

There's no question these changes impacted the offensive line. They were never in sync, even on running plays. They didn't seem comfortable. Snaps and timing were a serious issue. Notre Dame took advantage, too. On many occasions when Michigan went 4 or 5 wide, Notre Dame would go Cover 1, man up on the outside and throw everyone else on the LOS to confuse Michigan's blocking schemes. Sometimes Michigan simply got confused, others they didn't have adequate numbers. It was a brilliant gambit in an opener. It was also made possible because Notre Dame showed no respect to Michigan receivers and tight ends. That's an area to watch for in coming weeks.

Defensively, Michigan was fine. A few big plays in that first quarter really hurt, but otherwise they were very solid. 2.8 ypc against a mobile QB is good. That's still a very dangerous defense.

Yes. Losing their best receiver for most of the season hurt. 6'5", strong, and fast. He would have drawn safety help. 

As for the defense, they were not disciplined. Three 3rd down personal fouls (inc. targeting/ejection). two occurred when the D would have forced a punt  and a field goal. Both drives ended in TDs. That hurt more than the big plays.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, nic said:

As for the defense, they were not disciplined. Three 3rd down personal fouls (inc. targeting/ejection). two occurred when the D would have forced a punt  and a field goal. Both drives ended in TDs. That hurt more than the big plays.

They weren't disciplined last year, either, which led to some big plays that helped result in those losses. They play hard and fast and just kinda accept those things. 

This game gives a very different impression watching it live vs analyzing it's later. It's easy to dismiss all the short or negative plays Notre Dame had in the emotion of the moment, especially when there are so many key moments. In the grand scheme of things, this is the Michigan defense that was expected. 

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2018 at 11:09 PM, ZRod said:

Kapernick? The guy who folded right after Harbaugh left? Kaepernick was the sole  reason a team goes to THE Superbowl and multiple division championships in the NFL?

There is no coaching involved, it just happens automatically? And Harbaugh just accidentally floated through coincidentally great years at San Diego, Stanford, San Francisco and Michigan? Well thats some incredible fortune for a non talented coach, he should have been a gambler in Vegas wit that sort of blessing. He's 4-5 vs ranked teams, not great not terrible, ranked home teams should win at home, so not sure why he is expected to win everywhere he's first three seasons. I cant complain like you, am fairly content with 2 10W seasons in 3. You dont have to like him, but you are being a bit unreasonable here.