best QB to ever run the option at NU

Best QB to ever run the option at NU  

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

In terms of just purely running the option, it's hard to argue against Frost. I don't recall a lot of QBs being able to throw no-look pitches like he could. I would say both Frazier and Crouch were better as runners than Frost was, but I think he was better at running the option itself. 

Frost also did the best job of selling a play-action pass. He could stand there with the ball tucked at his side for three or four seconds before the defense realized that Ahman Green didn't have the ball. Scott did. 

Frost wasn't a great passer, so it really helped having receivers wide open and all the time in the world to throw.

• Plus1 2

I'm old enough to remember everyone on this list except Tagge - but as @ColoradoHusk pointed out, Tagge didn't run the Option. I voted for Gill. Frazier has the titles and Crouch has the stats, but Gill was better & smoother at it than anyone.

7 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Or, a running QB who should have been playing safety. 

Let's leave Taylor Martinez out of this.

• Plus1 3

It’s definitely between Crouch and Frazier. Crouch’s fake pitch and cut upfield was filthy. He could lay the wood once he reached the next level too.

I think Frazier utilized the option pass a little better. Running down the line and on a dime he’d get his feet set and hit the tight end, usually wide open.

Crouch could do it too, just like Frazier could utilize the fake pitch pretty well. But I think those are the two areas of the option game that stick out between the two.

Ultimately, I think the difference between their fake pitch skills outweighs the difference in their pass off the option.

So I voted for Crouch.

• Plus1 1

My wife always felt Crouch was a ball hog.  I tried to explain to her that pitching the ball is the last option in the option game.  If you don't have to pitch you don't pitch.  Crouch was by far the fastest and could really accelerate through a gap and because of that carried the ball a lot more.  He also didn't have the surrounding cast of Gill, Frazier or Frost for that matter. 

It is all about preference.  

• Plus1 1

This was tough for me to decide.   If you watch the A&M Big 12 championship game in 97 - Frost shows that he is the master of the 'no look' option. It always amazed me how he and the RB were so synchronized - like they both had a extra set of eyes.  I think Frost was better than any others on the no look option.

Crouch - had the best speed but was a part of a fumble machine - without looking at the stats  and going from memory it seems that his teams had a particularly high fumble rate.  He like TM had the speed to make the QB a real threat.

Frazier - has the status, record, the no sacks in 2005 etc. 

However, I voted for Gill - I think he was the whole package - he could pass, he could run, he was a real leader on the field.  I thought he was the smoothest operator all the way around.  And he could pull off both the fumbleruskie and the bouncearuskie.

I'm also a Steve Taylor fan - he followed Gill and had less talent around him but not void of talent for sure. I felt he ran the option pretty well.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, NUance said:

lol.  Once again Jammal Lord gets no love.  

2001-2008 is a black box for me. I remember almost nothing from it.

1 minute ago, TGHusker said:

This was tough for me to decide.   If you watch the A&M Big 12 championship game in 97 - Frost shows that he is the master of the 'no look' option. It always amazed me how he and the RB were so synchronized - like they both had a extra set of eyes.  I think Frost was better than any others on the no look option.

Crouch - had the best speed but was a part of a fumble machine - without looking at the stats  and going from memory it seems that his teams had a particularly high fumble rate.  He like TM had the speed to make the QB a real threat.

Frazier - has the status, record, the no sacks in 2005 etc. 

However, I voted for Gill - I think he was the whole package - he could pass, he could run, he was a real leader on the field.  I thought he was the smoothest operator all the way around.  And he could pull off both the fumbleruskie and the bouncearuskie.

I picked Frazier but I definitely remember Frost being awesome at pitching.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, NUinID said:

My wife always felt Crouch was a ball hog.  I tried to explain to her that pitching the ball is the last option in the option game.  If you don't have to pitch you don't pitch.  Crouch was by far the fastest and could really accelerate through a gap and because of that carried the ball a lot more.  He also didn't have the surrounding cast of Gill, Frazier or Frost for that matter. 

It is all about preference.  

I was just thinking that Crouch was a "MY ball" guy and yours was the next post i read.  Your wife is pretty smart. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

I find it hard to argue with any of this.

I will add that if Gdowski had redshirted we might have 4 names instead of 3.

I will also add that Gill was the best at the "last possible split second pitch" to the I-Back on the option.

It is a pity that Gdowski did not redshirt. Gdowski is still my pick as the best QB to run the option not only at Nebraska, but anywhere. Below are some facts that lead to my belief:

• He beat Oklahoma in 42-25, not many QBs put 42 on Switzer
  • In 1989 he ran for 925 yards at 7.9 yard per carry 
  • In 1989 he completed 71 of 136 attempts for 1326 yards (9.75 yards per attempt) and 19 TDs with only 2 ints
  • Gdowski probably had the worst supporting cast between Gill, Frazier and Frost and Crouch.

Frazier didn't throw many interceptions, but he had a bad habit of throwing interceptions in MNC games. He had two against FSU, one against Miami, and two against Florida. Crouch was not as gifted with pitching as other QBs. He tended to keep the ball too long, and to pitch high or low. He also had 17 interceptions in his last two years, and many of those were returned for TDs.  Turner didn't have the rushing yards Gdowski did, so I give the edge to Gdowski.

Frost would be my number two pick. He really didn't have any weaknesses. Perhaps his throwing motion wasn't great, but when Tennessee sold out to stop the run, Frost made them pay. 

Maybe it isn't fair to name a one year starter as the best ever, but that is my belief.

• Plus1 2
7 hours ago, NUance said:

lol.  Once again Jammal Lord gets no love.  

Poor JL. He had terrible RB and OL support compared to the others, yet he equaled Crouch's stats and is rarely included in these discussions. JL is one of my all time favorites.

Crouch Heisman winning year

Passing 55.6% for 1510 yards (8.0/attempt) 7 TDs, 10 ints

Rushing 1115 yards, 5.5/attempt, 18 TDs

Lord 2002

Passing 46.6% for 1362 yards (6.7/attempt) 12 TDs, 12 ints

Rushing 1412 yards, 5.6/attempt, 18 TDs

• Plus1 2
6 hours ago, junior4949 said:

Probably the best option QB to ever run at NU was Darian Hagan.  His record against Big 8 opponents was 20-0-1. 

The following is from Gdowski in 1989

"Gdowski was Co-Offensive Player of the Year, with Colorado quarterback Darien Hagan, in 1989. He was first-team All-Big Eight according to the coaches, second-team AP and UPI. Nebraska ranked third nationally in total offense (513.3), second in points (44.7) and first in rushing (375.3). The Huskers finished the regular season 9-1, the only loss at Colorado (27-21), and ranked sixth."

• Plus1 3