best QB to ever run the option at NU

Best QB to ever run the option at NU  

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

42 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I picked Crouch because the OP's framing isn't 'who was a great QB' or 'who was the best QB' but the 'best qb to ever run the option at NU.' I interpreted that as which QB ran the option the best.

I can't think of any Husker QB I'd rather have run the option than Crouch. It's probably Crouch then Frazier. I think Crouch was the better runner overall, but that was also because the '01 team depended on Crouch more than Frazier's teams depended on Frazier. That's not to downplay Frazier's significance, but I would wager the '01 NU team doesn't sniff the national title game without Crouch at the helm.

Interesting as this is the exact reason I don't pick Crouch.  Frankly, we've had several that were far better pitching the ball than Crouch, who tended to have to stare down his pitchman. In fact, I'd go so far as to speculate that with another QB (say from this list) we win the title in 1999. That is, in my opinion, one of the best teams we ever had and the only thing that stopped it was all of those fumbles, many of which came on option plays. 

• Plus1 5

8 minutes ago, brophog said:

Interesting as this is the exact reason I don't pick Crouch.  Frankly, we've had several that were far better pitching the ball than Crouch, who tended to have to stare down his pitchman. In fact, I'd go so far as to speculate that with another QB (say from this list) we win the title in 1999. That is, in my opinion, one of the best teams we ever had and the only thing that stopped it was all of those fumbles, many of which came on option plays. 

I don't give blame to Crouch for the pitches which hit Dan Alexander right in the hands, only to have DA drop it and lead to a turnover.  Man, I really wish Buckhalter would have been given the majority of the PT in 1999.  Not that Buckhalter was perfect, but Alexander was not a great fit in an option-oriented offense.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, brophog said:

Interesting as this is the exact reason I don't pick Crouch. 

It seems misguided to hold Crouch responsible for something out of his control. The reliance on his abilities was always going to impact the way he played his game. I never saw Gill play as I was born just after, but no other Husker QB in my lifetime had the speed to the edge and running ability of Crouch.

And that's why this debate is also interesting because of the aforementioned. Most of the QB's on that list played with better supporting casts. Frost and Frazier certainly did. That will ultimately impact a QB's strengths and weaknesses. Crouch was selfish largely because he had to be.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't give blame to Crouch for the pitches which hit Dan Alexander right in the hands, only to have DA drop it and lead to a turnover.  Man, I really wish Buckhalter would have been given the majority of the PT in 1999.  Not that Buckhalter was perfect, but Alexander was not a great fit in an option-oriented offense.

Buckhalter fumbled away his fair share as well, IIRC.  Lots of fumble problems in the backfield around that time. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, NUance said:

Buckhalter fumbled away his fair share as well, IIRC.  Lots of fumble problems in the backfield around that time. 

Yes, Buckhalter had his share of fumbles, but Alexander's seemed directly related to his inability to catch the option pitch.  Thus my comment to refute that Crouch was a bad pitcher of the ball on an option from the fumbles in 1999.

22 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yes, Buckhalter had his share of fumbles, but Alexander's seemed directly related to his inability to catch the option pitch.  Thus my comment to refute that Crouch was a bad pitcher of the ball on an option from the fumbles in 1999.

True.  I just thought it was funny (humorous) that Buckhalter would get the nod over any other back because of that other back's fumbles.  That said, I always thought Buckhalter was the more talented back.  When he didn't fumble, that is.  

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Go to 34:50 in the link below. I will dig up some more, but Crouch was poor at delivering the pitch.

1999 NU vs puffaloes

• Plus1 2

I believe Crouch was the best pure Option QB at NU; but impossible to know for sure.

Crouch didn't have the same talent around him that Tommie had and probably had to carry a larger load of the offense than Tommie did; but that doesn't mean that Tommie couldn't have carried a lesser team to a NC.

It's possible that Tommie was so good that he could have led that 2001 NU team over Miami; but maybe not, we don't know.

Also possible that Crouch was so good that, if he played from '92-'95, he had the skill/explosiveness/durability to go undefeated for 4 straight seasons w/ that talent around him.... but, again, maybe not; we can't know.

Vision test is the only thing I can go by, and my vision tells me that Crouch was just a better pure option QB.

• Plus1 3
17 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

Go to 34:50 in the link below. I will dig up some more, but Crouch was poor at delivering the pitch.

1999 NU vs puffaloes

That is a good example of a poor option pitch by Crouch.  I still say he was hampered by playing a couple years with Dan Alexander as his starting I-back.  Alexander lacked the necessary agility and fluidity to be a good back in an option offense.  Solich really used the option as his crutch play with Crouch and Lord as his QB's, and used it much more than Osborne did.

• Plus1 1

That is a good example of a poor option pitch by Crouch.  I still say he was hampered by playing a couple years with Dan Alexander as his starting I-back.  Alexander lacked the necessary agility and fluidity to be a good back in an option offense.  Solich really used the option as his crutch play with Crouch and Lord as his QB's, and used it much more than Osborne did.

IMO, Crouch was surrounded by great talent. Concerning Dan A., just watch the first play of the Colorado play. Buck lasted several years in the NFL despite recurring knee injuries. Crouch also had a couple AA OL, and a few AC OL. IMO, the big difference is the OC. My belief is that TF and SF benefited greatly from TO's genius at play calling and game planning. I think Solich relied too much on Crouch, and was even worse with Lord, since the RBs and OL were not as good.

Another thought about DA. In the play immediately following the bad pitch, Crouch jukes a couple of guys, breaks free and is caught from behind by Ben Kelley. This is the same Ben Kelly that couldn't catch a 240 lb DA in the open field (54:50 of the same clip). In 1999 DA averaged 6.8 yards/carry for 865 yards. In 2000, he averaged 6.5 yards per carry for 1154 yards. I agree that he didn't look like a great option back, but he was still very good.

• Plus1 1

Just now, MichiganDad3 said:

IMO, Crouch was surrounded by great talent. Concerning Dan A., just watch the first play of the Colorado play. Buck lasted several years in the NFL despite recurring knee injuries. Crouch also had a couple AA OL, and a few AC OL. IMO, the big difference is the OC. My belief is that TF and SF benefited greatly from TO's genius at play calling and game planning. I think Solich relied too much on Crouch, and was even worse with Lord, since the RBs and OL were not as good.

Agree with you in that Crouch would have benefited greatly by playing under Osborne.  Solich was just not a very good OC.

I just wasn't a very big Dan Alexander fan.  I didn't think he was much of a back, except for being a big guy who could run fast in a straight line.  I think the only reason he started over Buckhalter is that Solich liked the person that DA was.  

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Agree with you in that Crouch would have benefited greatly by playing under Osborne.  Solich was just not a very good OC.

I just wasn't a very big Dan Alexander fan.  I didn't think he was much of a back, except for being a big guy who could run fast in a straight line.  I think the only reason he started over Buckhalter is that Solich liked the person that DA was.  

I liked Dan, but I also thought Buck was better. He was much shiftier. Some coaches see a 240 LB man with track speed and their eyes glaze over.

• Plus1 1

Solich really had a lack of creativity as a playcaller, and that provided clip is a good example.

• Plus1 2

Alexander and Buckhalter had 1,500 yards between them in 1999 and a 6.0 and 6.5 ypc average respectively

In 2000 Alexander had 1,154 yards and a 6.3 ypc and Buckhalter had 750 yards and 7.1 ypc.

In 2001, Dahrran Diedrick at 1,300 yards and a 5.6 ypc and Thunder Collins had 647 and 6.9 ypc.

All that with a 1,000 yard QB who called his own number a lot.

So it's not like Eric Crouch had a subpar running attack behind him. Those were good rushing numbers in any era of Husker football.