Willie Hampton

14 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Havent heard much on this. Last i remember he seemed to be leaning towards wanting to play TE. 

Yeah, that seems to be his preference but even the national Rivals guys were saying a couple years ago they think he'd be a better LB.

Maybe he takes a look at the depth chart and gives LB a try.

36 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Very weird.  Guy had a UCF offer before Huskers ever offered.  Thus, Frost wanted him at UCF but he doesn't fit the Husker scheme now?  We need bodies and talent wise this guy seemed to do well on various tests and at camps.

Color me curious.  

Just because he had an offer from UCF doesn’t mean it was going to work out here at Nebraska imo 

I don't mind any of these as long as they talk to Frost about it. I believe if they do that and still leave that there is likely a good reason for doing so. 

I don't begrudge any of these guys for wanting to find a spot elsewhere in hopes of making their dreams happen. I also won't miss them.

• Plus1 1
38 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, that seems to be his preference but even the national Rivals guys were saying a couple years ago they think he'd be a better LB.

Maybe he takes a look at the depth chart and gives LB a try.

Ah ok. Yeah I remember people saying he would make a better LB.  Just making sure I didnt miss anything. I do really like they way Frost uses the TE in this offense so I wouldn't mind still seeing him there even if its maybe not his best position.  

I'm not sure the lack of depth at MLB/ILB is a huge issue. There are currently 11 OLBs on scholarship. Some of them could move inside. Plus, I think it's much easier to move from an outside linebacker to the inside than vice versa. Not to say it is super easy, just easier than moving from inside to outside.

Sure, they may need to sign an extra high school and JUCO guy. I don't think it's nearly as big of an issue currently though as CB or a proven pass rusher.

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, Hans Gruber said:

I'm not sure the lack of depth at MLB/ILB is a huge issue. There are currently 11 OLBs on scholarship. Some of them could move inside. Plus, I think it's much easier to move from an outside linebacker to the inside than vice versa. Not to say it is super easy, just easier than moving from inside to outside.

Sure, they may need to sign an extra high school and JUCO guy. I don't think it's nearly as big of an issue currently though as CB or a proven pass rusher.

There is depth and then there are bodies, and you get too far down the chart and you're just a body. I don't see the depth thing being a big deal yet, either. It puts more focus on recruiting in the immediate future but it also opens up scholarships to re-balance positional numbers and potentionally take advantage of program momentum.

I'm more concerned about quality than quantity at this point.

• Plus1 2

I don't like seeing young talented guys leave that haven't had much chance to prove anything, but good luck to him.  

That said, you get Snodgrass, Nelson, and somehow end up with Henrich, then the LB room gets restocked pretty nicely this recruiting class.

I realize that doesn't help for this year, but you have some decent talent there and still decent depth - if you get a JUCO you're probably fine for next year as well - assuming no more attrition.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, HS_Coach_C said:

I don't like seeing young talented guys leave that haven't had much chance to prove anything, but good luck to him.  

That said, you get Snodgrass, Nelson, and somehow end up with Henrich, then the LB room gets restocked pretty nicely this recruiting class.

I realize that doesn't help for this year, but you have some decent talent there and still decent depth - if you get a JUCO you're probably fine for next year as well - assuming no more attrition.

Agreed.  I do like the 3 players you mentioned quite a bit.  Definitely puts some extra pressure on the coaching staff to lock up Henrich.  That being said, the lack of depth is a nice selling point if Henrich has expressed interest in playing early and often as he'll get more than a fair shake.  I haven't gotten the chance to see Nelson play yet due to geography but I did see him at State Wrestling and he's pretty explosive (plus I'm biased towards wrestlers).  I have gotten the chance to see Snodgrass and I came away really impressed.  Great athlete, super tough and he's got some obvious leadership traits that you can't teach.  I think he's going to be a good one.

19 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

A player leaving a program whose position coach got a one handed special teams player drafted into the NFL doesn't seem like a wise choice.

I wonder how much any of these kids leaving is due to the meetings Frost is having with them. Not in a malicious way at all, but if you feel a player isn't good enough for PT, it wouldn't be too hard to convince them to leave to open up some schollies. 

"Hey (player name), as of now you won't be seeing the field a whole lot this year at this time. Probably play special teams for us. I know this has been a tough transition for some, and I support anyone if they choose to look elsewhere. I just want to go over the realistic expectations of your playing time this year." 

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, BIG ERN said:

I wonder how much any of these kids leaving is due to the meetings Frost is having with them. Not in a malicious way at all, but if you feel a player isn't good enough for PT, it wouldn't be too hard to convince them to leave to open up some schollies. 

"Hey (player name), as of now you won't be seeing the field a whole lot this year at this time. Probably play special teams for us. I know this has been a tough transition for some, and I support anyone if they choose to look elsewhere. I just want to go over the realistic expectations of your playing time this year." 

I think a good question for a player to ask his coach is "Am I good enough to contribute to this program?"  It may not give the answer the player wants to hear (if the coach is being honest), but it's a good conversation to have.