Willie Hampton

2 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Man if a player isn't good enough to see the field in 1 of 2 positions where there are now only 4 players occupying them, you had no business getting a D1 offer in the first place.

Sure, you can question the initial offer, but I wouldn't say it's quite as easy as saying that.  Projecting how a kid is going to go from a 17-year old high schooler to a 19-20 year old college student is an inexact "science".  We also don't know the exact reasons why Hampton is leaving, as we have just seen internet message board speculation.

7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Sure, you can question the initial offer, but I wouldn't say it's quite as easy as saying that.  Projecting how a kid is going to go from a 17-year old high schooler to a 19-20 year old college student is an inexact "science".  We also don't know the exact reasons why Hampton is leaving, as we have just seen internet message board speculation.

Yea, while I hope it's not the case and assume it's probably not, he could be leaving on his own accord as well.  Not every player that is leaving is necessarily leaving just because Frost pulled them aside and told them they are down the depth chart or aren't a good fit.  We don't even know if that conversation(s) has really been happening.

6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

My comment was basically in reference to the posters just above mine saying they wondered if Frost has told them there is no place for them on the team in an area as anemic as ILB.

Why don't people say what you said to posters that incessantly say that a HS player will start "Day One" or stuff like that?

19 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Man if a player isn't good enough to see the field in 1 of 2 positions where there are now only 4 players occupying them, you had no business getting a D1 offer in the first place.

I think he had a good SPARQ score IIRC, but I know that doesn't always mean much. Like husk said though, we don't know the actual reasons he's transferring.

We're down to 4 guys at ILB right now, but maybe we find a late transfer or maybe Alexander, Jefferson, or Miller move inside.

Edit: SPARQ rating of 117.66

Edited by HS_Coach_C
Found tweet about SPARQ rating

Cam will likely redshirt due to his injury.  I know that he threw at State meet, but had to adjust everything because he isn't healed.  They will not "risk" further and possible career effecting injury by hurrying him back.

Hampton is curious?  A lot of factors.  Maybe he wasn't good fit.  Maybe he didn't show SF and Co. the work ethic on/off field that they wanted, maybe off field, academic concerns, ....... Just maybe, he was a perfect fit and did absolutely everything right and just feels like he wants to head closer to home.  Any of the above is probably the reason, but fact is, he is no longer here.  Wish him luck !

3 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

I wonder how much any of these kids leaving is due to the meetings Frost is having with them. Not in a malicious way at all, but if you feel a player isn't good enough for PT, it wouldn't be too hard to convince them to leave to open up some schollies. 

"Hey (player name), as of now you won't be seeing the field a whole lot this year at this time. Probably play special teams for us. I know this has been a tough transition for some, and I support anyone if they choose to look elsewhere. I just want to go over the realistic expectations of your playing time this year." 

Another piece of the conversation could be

"The average player at your position has added 10 pounds, reduced body fat by x%, and gotten faster. You don't seem to be keeping up with the improvements expected by this team. We are willing to help, but you have to do your part."

I also wonder how much morning practice s have to do with attrition. Some college kids are not early risers.

17 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

I also wonder how much morning practice s have to do with attrition. Some college kids are not early risers.

It's possible, but I doubt it's this. Virtually every college football team either practices in the morning or has voluntary/mandatory lifting in the morning. If you're an athlete in collegiate sports, those mornings get you one way or the other.

• Plus1 2
11 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

Kids are recruited on potential and in some recruits it is more obvious than others.  And for some recruits, it takes a couple years before coaches realize they're probably not going to develop the way they anticipated...but you only learn that in hindsight.

7 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Kids are recruited on potential and in some recruits it is more obvious than others.  And for some recruits, it takes a couple years before coaches realize they're probably not going to develop the way they anticipated...but you only learn that in hindsight.

You don’t say...

Willie has all the physical tools he just isn't there mentally. It could be the game is to fast for him or he has not adjusted as well to the college game yet. Regardless, best of luck to this young man and hopefully he can contribute to some team and make plays.  Also supposedly could not pick up the playbook as well as others but take that with a grain of salt.

Here is what I have for our ILB depth and I may be wrong.

Ded. Young, Mo. Barry, Will Honas, Collin Miller, Jacob Weinmaster, Avery Roberts. Add cam Jurgens to that list and that is a solid group there. The first five will most likely play and Avery I hear has work to do- in reference to coach Ruud calling him out. 

They are in no particular order except for the first two as they will both be the starters in my opinion. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

Willie has all the physical tools he just isn't there mentally. It could be the game is to fast for him or he has not adjusted as well to the college game yet. Regardless, best of luck to this young man and hopefully he can contribute to some team and make plays.  Also supposedly could not pick up the playbook as well as others but take that with a grain of salt.

Here is what I have for our ILB depth and I may be wrong.

Ded. Young, Mo. Barry, Will Honas, Collin Miller, Jacob Weinmaster, Avery Roberts. Add cam Jurgens to that list and that is a solid group there. The first five will most likely play and Avery I hear has work to do- in reference to coach Ruud calling him out. 

They are in no particular order except for the first two as they will both be the starters in my opinion. 

Weinmaster looked good in the spring game and I think he will be seeing some game time

• Plus1 3

Depth chart prediction, if a game were played now:

This is a crowded linebacker room. Any of those listed below could be knocked out by a player like Tannor, so nothing is written in stone.

Starting OLB Luke Gifford
Starting ILB Will Honas
Starting ILB Dedrick Young
Staring OLB Alex Davis
Backup OLB Tyrin Ferguson
Backup ILB Avery Roberts
Backup ILB Mohamed Barry
Backup OLB Ben Stille

Prediction about 4 months ago seems good to me. Throw in Dixon, Jefferson , Guy Thomas, Weinmaster, Colin Miller etc were ok there IMO

I really didn't even know who Willie Hampton was. Good luck to him wherever he goes.

• Plus1 1