Willie Hampton

3 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

Depth chart prediction, if a game were played now:

This is a crowded linebacker room. Any of those listed below could be knocked out by a player like Tannor, so nothing is written in stone.

Starting OLB Luke Gifford
Starting ILB Will Honas
Starting ILB Dedrick Young
Staring OLB Alex Davis
Backup OLB Tyrin Ferguson
Backup ILB Avery Roberts
Backup ILB Mohamed Barry
Backup OLB Ben Stille

Prediction about 4 months ago seems good to me. Throw in Dixon, Jefferson , Guy Thomas, Weinmaster, Colin Miller etc were ok there IMO

I really didn't even know who Willie Hampton even was.Good luck to him wherever he goes.

Stille is on the dline now i believe

This is not the last of the attrition as one or potentially two olbs will be on there way out. Sedrick King is a name to watch, although I haven't heard much about him lately. 

The LBer core is solid right now so we don't have to worry at the moment. We have lots of unproven players that you will see flashes and potential of with the new staff coaching them up. 

Willie had lots of potentials but its hard to prove much when you are a borderline 4th stringer. He will do well elsewhere I believe and hopefully finds the right situation to thrive in. 

Anyone have the scholarship number we are at now?

4 hours ago, HuskermanMike said:

This is not the last of the attrition as one or potentially two olbs will be on there way out. Sedrick King is a name to watch, although I haven't heard much about him lately. 

The LBer core is solid right now so we don't have to worry at the moment. We have lots of unproven players that you will see flashes and potential of with the new staff coaching them up. 

Willie had lots of potentials but its hard to prove much when you are a borderline 4th stringer. He will do well elsewhere I believe and hopefully finds the right situation to thrive in. 

Anyone have the scholarship number we are at now?

7 hours ago, Big Red 40 said:

Depth chart prediction, if a game were played now:

This is a crowded linebacker room. Any of those listed below could be knocked out by a player like Tannor, so nothing is written in stone.

Starting OLB Luke Gifford
Starting ILB Will Honas
Starting ILB Dedrick Young
Staring OLB Alex Davis
Backup OLB Tyrin Ferguson
Backup ILB Avery Roberts
Backup ILB Mohamed Barry
Backup OLB Ben Stille

Prediction about 4 months ago seems good to me. Throw in Dixon, Jefferson , Guy Thomas, Weinmaster, Colin Miller etc were ok there IMO

I really didn't even know who Willie Hampton was. Good luck to him wherever he goes.

To me, that's not a crowded LB room; that's a two-deep. 

• Plus1 2

14 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

How many deep do most teams carry at each position ? 

Your use of the term "crowded" is a misnomer; a 2 deep should be a bare minimum, particularly at positions with a ton of question marks like OLB and MLB. 

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

How many deep do most teams carry at each position ? 

At linebacker, your 2-deep are going to all see game action typically. Your third string is in case of injury or blowouts, and then you usually want a few more that are for competition and guys in development.

Edit: A lot of linebackers also fill up the special teams spots as well.

• Plus1 2

I don’t think it means the season is over before it begins or anything crazy like that but depth issues add up quickly. Part of why it never made sense how Riley kept us so far under the scholarship limit.

At the very least, this type of attrition shakes up special teams. It means someone who might not have been in the game for that purpose is now in, and now one more injury slides everything around even more. I have confidence in Honas’ ability to transition to this level and I believe Roberts will buy in, but those still have to be seen as two question marks until proven otherwise. The 2017 class will need to be back-filled going forward.

6 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

I don’t think it means the season is over before it begins or anything crazy like that but depth issues add up quickly. Part of why it never made sense how Riley kept us so far under the scholarship limit.

At the very least, this type of attrition shakes up special teams. It means someone who might not have been in the game for that purpose is now in, and now one more injury slides everything around even more. I have confidence in Honas’ ability to transition to this level and I believe Roberts will buy in, but those still have to be seen as two question marks until proven otherwise. The 2017 class will need to be back-filled going forward.

In all fairness, Bo basically did the same thing.

This year we'll likely also be under, but first years don't really count. I can't see Frost living with self-probation of his program going forward.

• Plus1 2
19 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

This year we'll likely also be under, but first years don't really count. I can't see Frost living with self-probation of his program going forward.

He'll keep us a bit under to reward walk-ins and for potential transfers. With so much player movement these days, you want a couple in hand for the unexpected.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, brophog said:

He'll keep us a bit under to reward walk-ins and for potential transfers. With so much player movement these days, you want a couple in hand for the unexpected.

Adding transfers and deserving walk-ons is one thing (arguably that wouldn't be keeping us under the scholarship limit), but just handing them out because you miss on your recruiting numbers is what I meant - and that hurts the team.

I look forward to seeing some of these talented walk-ons from this class and future classes earn playing time and scholarships.

• Plus1 1
16 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I just did...

And you're the one expressing incredulity that Willie Hampton got a scholarship, like you have some kind of clairvoyance.  So don't get snotty...

Kids leave all the time. D1 recruit does not always translate to D1 player. I cant get excited/sad about any kids who didnt get significant playing time. 

I always see a lot of whining and crying about individual players, but I think we are moving to an era where individual players dont matter as much as team chemistry and scheme.  

14 minutes ago, boach_clack said:

I always see a lot of whining and cryingbout individual players, but I think we are moving to an era where individual players dont matter as much as team chemistry and scheme.

I dont. Talent turns scheme from 5 yds to 50.

• Plus1 1