Willie Hampton

31 minutes ago, boach_clack said:

I always see a lot of whining and crying about individual players, but I think we are moving to an era where individual players dont matter as much as team chemistry and scheme. 

No.

Both matter.  If you have only one of those, you can have a good team.  If you have BOTH, that's when you have a great team.

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, brophog said:

I dont. Talent turns scheme from 5 yds to 50.

How can you be a talent if you havent touched the field? 

There is no argument that you need talent, but I would not trade talent for team chemistry.  Football is a violent sport that results in injury. There has to be a next man up mentality or you will lose a lot of games.  Like we have.  

If kids dont want to play at Nebraska, they should go somewhere else. 

Just now, boach_clack said:

But is you had to pick one?

That's not what you said.  You specifically said "....but I think we are moving to an era where individual players dont matter as much as team chemistry and scheme."

Nothing in that statement says anything about...picking one.

I still wouldn't even want to pick one.  Just having one of those is a recipe for being close but no cigar.  We've seen that at times over the last 15 years. 

9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's not what you said.  You specifically said "....but I think we are moving to an era where individual players dont matter as much as team chemistry and scheme."

Nothing in that statement says anything about...picking one.

I still wouldn't even want to pick one.  Just having one of those is a recipe for being close but no cigar.  We've seen that at times over the last 15 years. 

What exactly have we been close to?  I would make the argument that we have had neither.  

4 hours ago, boach_clack said:

Kids leave all the time. D1 recruit does not always translate to D1 player. I cant get excited/sad about any kids who didnt get significant playing time. 

I always see a lot of whining and crying about individual players, but I think we are moving to an era where individual players dont matter as much as team chemistry and scheme.  

Ya, that's the rub...every recruit, in every class, at every school, is the next all-american, all-everything, stud...until they aren't.

13 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Ya, that's the rub...every recruit, in every class, at every school, is the next all-american, all-everything, stud...until they aren't.

EXACTLY! Lol.  

I will always take mentality over speed, bench press, vertical jump, broad jump, etc.  I think this generation of husker fans has become infatuated with stats and star rankings.  

42 minutes ago, boach_clack said:

EXACTLY! Lol.  

I will always take mentality over speed, bench press, vertical jump, broad jump, etc.  I think this generation of husker fans has become infatuated with stats and star rankings.  

Really???  Just this generation???

You must not have been around the era when the winter conditioning stats would be published and the fan base would analyze every number as though they were some how the holy grail.

2 hours ago, boach_clack said:

EXACTLY! Lol.  

I guess you want me on the team then. I bet I want to win as much or more than half the team, so where do I sign up? I may be in my 30s and can only bench 60lbs, but I have the will.

• Plus1 1

I don’t think Frost will undersign just for walkon spots. I think it is a safe bet he will sign the full amount, +3 over 85, each time and rely on attrition after Spring Ball to give spots out as he sees are deserving. The issue with Bo and MR is that they weren’t aggressive in pushing to get to the max 88 number on signing day.

• Plus1 1

5 hours ago, caveman99 said:

I don’t think Frost will undersign just for walkon spots. I think it is a safe bet he will sign the full amount, +3 over 85, each time and rely on attrition after Spring Ball to give spots out as he sees are deserving. The issue with Bo and MR is that they weren’t aggressive in pushing to get to the max 88 number on signing day.

Yes, I think deserving walk-ons will still get on scholarship but it won't be because we undersign. Demands are going to be high, Frost wants to get back to the days of being the most hardcore program I the country, and he's not shy about telling players where he thinks their career at UNL is going. We are going to have attrition. Plus we could always put more guys with injury issues on medical hardship schollie. We should have a target of 88 going into every February signing-day.