Would we really be better off under President Clinton?

3 minutes ago, NUance said:

The problem is, you folks are examining this ex post.  At the time of the election Hillary was known to be corrupt.  Trump, on the other hand, was an outsider.  For the most part, what Trump would do as President was unknown.   At least with Trump some people could *hope* that he would be a good president.  After all, at least he was a good entrepreneur.   

you could tell who trump was by his campaign.  he wasn't going to unite the country...he was telling us how he was going to divide us.   and boy did he succeed at that.

• Plus1 1

Just now, commando said:

you could tell who trump was by his campaign.  he wasn't going to unite the country...he was telling us how he was going to divide us.   and boy did he succeed at that.

Yeah, that's how I felt.  And that's why I didn't vote for him.  OTOH, he was an outsider and mostly an unknown quantity.  So I can understand why some people would vote Trump and hope for the best.  Rather than voting for a known crook.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

Too bad. There were no other choices. I apologize but voting Johnson is a copout. There was zero chance of him winning and Hillary was clearly the better of two evils. Hindsight is 20/20 especially given the outcome, but even at the time this was evident. I didn't want to vote for Hillary, but I most certainly didn't want the orange man as our leader.

No, it's not a cop out.  I refuse to vote anymore for someone because they are less bad than the other person.  I will vote for the person who I want to win.  If more people did that, we could maybe actually have more options.  Instead, we have a lot of plantation dwellers.

Pardon me....but...I'm a little snippy about this.  Im sick and tired of people claiming I should have voted for Hillary because of Trump.  If you want me to vote for a Democrat, don't put up the most pathetic candidate they could dream of.  The major reason why Trump is President, is because the Democratic party absolutely failed at putting up a good candidate.

• Plus1 5
42 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

No, it's not a cop out.  I refuse to vote anymore for someone because they are less bad than the other person.  I will vote for the person who I want to win.  If more people did that, we could maybe actually have more options.  Instead, we have a lot of plantation dwellers.

Pardon me....but...I'm a little snippy about this.  Im sick and tired of people claiming I should have voted for Hillary because of Trump.  If you want me to vote for a Democrat, don't put up the most pathetic candidate they could dream of.  The major reason why Trump is President, is because the Democratic party absolutely failed at putting up a good candidate.

It is a cop out. Johnson wasn't a good canidate either and flat out was not going to win no matter how you sliced it.

You say you voted for who you wanted to win. Thats fine but don't act like we actually have a third party option. Too much money involved and that pesky electoral college is in the way. We only had 2 realistic choices. I'm not even saying you should have voted for Hilary. I'm just saying the argument you are making about not wanting either canidate is flawed. Honestly it wouldn't have mattered if everyone on Huskerboard voted Hilary. The way the EC is set up the points would have added up the same way.

• Plus1 2
48 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yep!

48 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I agree.

And I also really appreciate the honest back and forth. @TGHusker, your post above gives me hope we aren't too divided yet to come back together.

5 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

It is a cop out. Johnson wasn't a good canidate either and flat out was not going to win no matter how you sliced it.

You say you voted for who you wanted to win. Thats fine but don't act like we actually have a third party option. Too much money involved and that pesky electoral college is in the way. We only had 2 realistic choices. I'm not even saying you should have voted for Hilary. I'm just saying the argument you are making about not wanting either canidate is flawed. Honestly it wouldn't have mattered if everyone on Huskerboard voted Hilary. The way the EC is set up the points would have added up the same way.

BS....if anything is a cop out, it's hiding behind parties and that's what way too many people do in this country anymore.  It's why we ended up with two pathetic candidates.  Your attitude towards it is EXACTLY why we can't have a third party.

• Plus1 1
Just now, BigRedBuster said:

BS....if anything is a cop out, it's hiding behind parties and that's what way too many people do in this country anymore.  It's why we ended up with two pathetic candidates.  Your attitude towards it is EXACTLY why we can't have a third party.

No its not lol. This is not my system, but it is the system we have. If anything Trump proves independents can't win unless they put a party next to their name. I could care less about parties. I don't particularly relate with either and I would like to see a move away from our current system into something more representative and serving of the public. That said, in the here and now thats not how things work. No way the 2 major parties would release their lock grip of power to an independent. Not happening and its not because of 'people like me'. It would take a much more charasmatic canidate than Johnson to have any semblance of a chance and even then the odds are stacked heavily against them. The powers that be have much more influence than you and I my friend and while this can be changed, the 2016 election was not the place it was happening. Get rid of the Electoral College and maybe I can agree with you

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Don't recall seeing a post from anyone telling you who you should have voted for. 

A former Secretary of State, US Senator, and First Lady is a far cry from "the most pathetic candidate they could dream of" especially when you consider that the most difficult choice the other candidate made was eliminating Gary Bussey from a reality TV show. Why is it that only the Dem candidate has to be perfect? 

You seem to be hung up on "voting for a Democrat" as if it's some deadly sin, which seems an awful lot like hiding behind party lines. It wasn't about voting R or D. It was about voting for a capable adult who you disagree with, and someone who is unprecedentedly unfit for office. 

Similarly, I'd sleep a lot more soundly at night if it was President Pence. In any other circumstance, I wouldn't want him to be President, but he's a far more preferable choice than what we have at the moment. 

• Plus1 1

17 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

No its not lol. This is not my system, but it is the system we have. If anything Trump proves independents can't win unless they put a party next to their name. I could care less about parties. I don't particularly relate with either and I would like to see a move away from our current system into something more representative and serving of the public. That said, in the here and now thats not how things work. No way the 2 major parties would release their lock grip of power to an independent. Not happening and its not because of 'people like me'. It would take a much more charasmatic canidate than Johnson to have any semblance of a chance and even then the odds are stacked heavily against them. The powers that be have much more influence than you and I my friend and while this can be changed, the 2016 election was not the place it was happening. Get rid of the Electoral College and maybe I can agree with you

15 minutes ago, knapplc said:

You either voted for Hillary in 2016 or you accepted the reality of a Trump presidency. 

Put someone up worth voting for and I'll vote for them.

• Plus1 2
14 minutes ago, knapplc said:

You either voted for Hillary in 2016 or you accepted the reality of a Trump presidency. 

That's nonsense. It's like you're pretending not to understand the Electoral College. And it's not as if a third party has never won (although it is rare). If it was a popular vote and only 2 candidates were on the ballot, then you'd be correct.

Just as accurate would be me saying, "If you voted for Hillary in the primary, then you accepted the reality of a Trump presidency."

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

But thats my point. Your voting for to be chopped off at the arm rather than at the finger. You don't want either obviously but these are the only choices you have. Sadly it isn't fair not to vote for Hilary because she isn't worth voting for in this specific instance ..neither was Trump or Johnson. So now its who is most competent for the job and can actually get there. I don't believe Johnson had any path to the presidency and I think Trump is a great salesman but an incompetent leader. To me Hillary is the most competent but that is my opinion and you are free to have your own. All that said I think if Johnson was the Republican canidate and Trump was running independant, Hillary wins the presidency easily. Just my opinion though.

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Some votes are a vote against something. In 2016, you either voted against Hillary or you voted against Trump.  Every vote for anyone other than Hillary was a vote for Trump.

That is the reality, we see Trump in the White House today, it is not controvertible, and it is something that everyone who didn't vote for Hillary will have to come to terms with.  If they don't, we'll do this all over again in 2020, 2024, 2028...

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Isn't that literally what you did by voting for Gary Johnson? 

2016 Republican field had more options than any other party in decades. We still ended up with the worst possible candidate.