JUCO DB Will Jackson III [Nebraska- Signed LOI]

12 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I think we need to be concerned about how bad the current DB's on the team are if this is what needs to happen.

I think we should have already been concerned but this lessens the concern a tiny bit. Although I'm not a fan of picking up a lot of these players with past troubles.

• Plus1 2
Just now, Mavric said:

He had four more INTs last year than all Husker CBs combined.

I see what you did there.

Now this guy will be added for depth purposes. I still believe Lamar Jackson and Bootle will start at CB and Eric Lee playing also. We will also have Jackson III and Deontai Williams hplaying most likely in certain situations or in case one of these guys in front of them just can't play well. 

9 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

Soo.offers were...

kentucky- not bad

uConn- Diaco (defensive minded dude)

nevada

NC state (defensive wizard)

toledo- was candle there? Good HC

Western michigan- Fleck

kinda impressive list for how small it is

If we are being honest, not really impressive at all. 

If we are trying to convince ourselves otherwise, it's through red tinted shades. 

• Plus1 6

10 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I think we need to be concerned about how bad the current DB's on the team are if this is what needs to happen.

The CB cupboard is bare, in terms of proven commodities and bodies in general. It should be a surprise to no one that this staff is looking for JUCOs/grad transfers at this position. If Jackson is a 2015 recruit, that means he is either a 1-for-1 or 2-for-2 guy. If they have a scholarship to burn for the year, this gives you a player to develop and provide some depth at a razor thin position.

BTW, he had 4 more INT individually than all of our CBs last season.

• Plus1 1

On one hand, adding a guy this late who isnt a slam dunk guy goes to show the concern the staff has with our current guys. That being said, I do like the fact they are taking a shot and not just saying "well, this year will suck and that is what it is".

Will Jackson come in and do anything? Who really knows. I would assume most dont think so judging by how this happened but if the coaches saw something they liked it is a small risk. Two years and if it doesnt work you move on.

Probably be a name we never hear about but if we do, then it will look really nice.

7 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

Might only have two years left but for now we will go with he is a three for three guy. He is here to add depth to a position that is lacking in bodies right now. 

Agreed. This is clearly what is going on. The coaching staff obviously made an evaluation and determined that he will help with the depth issue, so I am assuming they expect that they can develop him into a contributing role, rather than strictly being a body on the depth chart.

• Plus1 1