JUCO DB Will Jackson III [Nebraska- Signed LOI]

I would be pleasantly surprised if he contributed much on the field this year. Hard to come in this late as a JUCO and adjust, even with previous FBS experiences. It sounds like he has 3 years to play, so this move should really help our ‘19 and ‘20 CB room more than anything.

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, The Murphinator said:

Maybe he is a 3-for-3 guy.

I don't think not playing in 2016 has anything to do it.  Your "clock" starts ticking when you enroll.  From that point you have five years to play four.  So his five years would be 2015-2016-2017-2018-2019.  Unless he gets a waiver of some sort.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I don't think not playing in 2016 has anything to do it.  Your "clock" starts ticking when you enroll.  From that point you have five years to play four.  So his five years would be 2015-2016-2017-2018-2019.  Unless he gets a waiver of some sort.

Okay. All these transfer rules confuse me. I was just throwing that out there.

11 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Players get waivers for LDS missions and playing pro baseball, so I can't imagine him not getting that year back. But it is the NCAA...

2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Players get waivers for LDS missions and playing pro baseball, so I can't imagine him not getting that year back. But it is the NCAA...

True.  But I'm not sure getting kicked off the team would be looked at in quite the same way.

Just now, Mavric said:

True.  But I'm not sure getting kicked off the team would be looked at in quite the same way.

He got kicked off in February and sat out the following year, so it's not like he didn't have time to transfer, he just sat out that year. Not sure that makes his case better or worse.

Looks like he has great coverage, and ball skills.  Not super fast (from what I saw), and not the best tackler.  But his coverage skills are so good, it minimizes his weaknesses.  He really manhandles receivers, and doesn’t let them get up to speed or go where they want.  If you haven’t seen his tape, he is also very good at getting the ball (especially with his height).  Nice pickup.

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, Mavric said:

HOL says he has two years to play.

I almost like it better as a 2 years to play 2 guy.  I don't even see why this is a huge risk (which really only one person thinks is a big risk).

NU has roster issues at CB which won't be immediately turned around with high school recruits.  NU is currently under the 85 scholarship limit.  The coaching staff is bringing in a guy who seems to be a D-1 talent with great size, and who may have a lot of upside.  This guy is being brought in to give some immediate help due to poor roster management from the previous staff.  The staff needed to try something to help mitigate the issues at CB for 2018 and 2019, and what this guy does.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I almost like it better as a 2 years to play 2 guy.  I don't even see why this is a huge risk (which really only one person thinks is a big risk).

NU has roster issues at CB which won't be immediately turned around with high school recruits.  NU is currently under the 85 scholarship limit.  The coaching staff is bringing in a guy who seems to be a D-1 talent with great size, and who may have a lot of upside.  This guy is being brought in to give some immediate help due to poor roster management from the previous staff.  The staff needed to try something to help mitigate the issues at CB for 2018 and 2019, and what this guy does.

Agree with this.  We need some more corners one way or another.  There is a possibility that we might have three guys who are at least servicable this year but if one gets hurt or doesn't work out we need to at least have a couple other options.

And a two-year guy is a good way to go.  Either he works out and can bridge the gap until you can get some HS guys in here or he doesn't work out but we're only stuck with him for two years.

However, by my numbers we are actually at 85 with Jackson.  Although the HOL guys are expecting a couple more guys to leave before fall camp starts.  Not sure if they have specific ideas on who they will be or just think there will probably be a couple more move on.

• Plus1 3

Nice addition, he will be better then the other guy, ....... (exactly we don't have another)  and he will add some depth in a place of need.  It seems like he at least go his life in order enough to hustle and get graduated so I figure he is probably much improved mentally and perhaps that will allow him to get the potential out of the athleticism that he seems to have.