Defensive Backfield Looking better

I think this staff isn't going to accept the 5th in the West projections.  They have a no excuses attitude - you make your own success - go out and grab it.

I like the bold from this article quote

"He's a great young man," Jones said. "He's special." 

In nine games for the Thunderbirds in 2017, Jackson logged four interceptions and three break-ups in addition to 24 tackles. 

"We've placed over 30 Division I cornerbacks and he's definitely Division I," Jones said of Jackson. "We have what we call good or great. (Now Cleveland Browns defensive back) Damarious Randall -- first-round pick, All-American -- was great. We feel Will is not good, he's great. We feel he should be the next one of that caliber. 

"He definitely has the ability. He's 6-3.5. He's 192 (pounds.) He's a 4.5-(40-yard dash) guy and he can really play the game of football." 

• Plus1 3

I don't see a year 1 guy here, which is what we need most to both help numbers and take pressure off the incoming frosh. A good year 1 guy, like a graduate transfer could be, potentially allows a redshirt or two.

I do see a possibly great year 2 guy. He needs to to get stronger and work on technique, but he has quick feet and changes direction reasonably well for his size. The thing I struggle with is his leverage. An outside corner has to maintain leverage based on help and the boundary. I think that is a big reason why he doesn't have more pass breakups. Teachable, but I'm failing to see a plug and play guy here.

• Plus1 2
58 minutes ago, brophog said:

I don't see a year 1 guy here, which is what we need most to both help numbers and take pressure off the incoming frosh. A good year 1 guy, like a graduate transfer could be, potentially allows a redshirt or two.

I do see a possibly great year 2 guy. He needs to to get stronger and work on technique, but he has quick feet and changes direction reasonably well for his size. The thing I struggle with is his leverage. An outside corner has to maintain leverage based on help and the boundary. I think that is a big reason why he doesn't have more pass breakups. Teachable, but I'm failing to see a plug and play guy here.

Sounds like the coaches see him as a potential year one guy.

Match made. Jackson’s a Husker. He could help immediately at NU’s depth-challenged corner position, where only three players — Lamar Jackson, Eric Lee and Dicaprio Bootle — have significant experience.

“They definitely talked to me about coming in and playing right away,” Will Jackson said. He’ll arrive in early July with two years of eligibility. “But my main focus is coming in and getting to know my teammates.”

LINK

• Plus1 1

5 hours ago, NUance said:

Hmm, a linebacker missing one hand?

Hmm, a comparison between character issues as an adult and things that happened to someone before they were even born?

• Plus1 3
21 minutes ago, Toe said:

Hmm, a comparison between character issues as an adult and things that happened to someone before they were even born?

Why are you making it sound like your post was only about character issues, which seems like an attempt to make the person who replied to you look like a jackass?

You also mentioned that this guy is a 2*, which I'm guessing is the main thing the comment was about.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, huKSer said:

I have yet to read an interview when the former coach says he "really sucks"

Just putting that out there

Of course not, but coaches are also usually careful about over hyping. There are plenty of question marks, but at least this staff is addressing weak roster areas in every way possible. Much better than a staff that under signs, then spends the off season riding bicycles in the park.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, brophog said:

He might be a year 1 guy based on what we have (or don't have) on the roster already.

Not worried about him being kicked off a team once. If I was being judged now at 26 for the stupid crap I did at 18/19 I probably wouldn't have the job I have now. I imagine many can say the same. Guys can mature and he didn't appear to have any troubles at his CC. Freshman mistakes shouldn't follow you forever if you make the effort to change. If he continued to have legal or other issues sure, but seems like he's kept his head on since.

• Plus1 1