Joker Movie in the Works

Warner Bros. is looking to expand on Jared Leto’s version of the Joker, which debuted in 2016’s “Suicide Squad,” with a movie of his own.

Sources tell Variety that Leto is set to star and exec produce an untitled standalone film, paving the way for future movies branching from “Suicide Squad.”

Plot details are currently unknown, but the studio’s idea is to expand on the world created by “Suicide Squad” and tie into future installments of that property. Warner Bros. already announced that Margot Robbie’s version of Harley Quinn would be getting her own movie with a “Birds of Prey” feature, and the next goal was setting up a film for Leto’s Joker.

When Warner Bros. announced last fall that it was developing a Joker origin tale from Todd Phillips, the studio emphasized that this did not mean the end for Leto’s Joker. Rather, Phillips’ film would fall under a new origins banner that would be separate from the current cinematic DC universe. This new banner would allow multiple actors and versions based on the same character with no overlap, and WB has already tapped Joaquin Phoenix to star in Phillips’ Joker pic.

Wait, there will be TWO stand alone Joker movies?   The Martin Scorsese Joaquin Phonix that's an origin story, but not part of the DCEU and now the Jared Leto one that will be part of the DCEU?   I can't figure out which one I want to see less.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Redux said:

This would be the equivelant of a stand alone Darth Vader movie starring Hayden Christensen.

Careful, or Warner Bros. will put you under contract.

-or-

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Take your pick for my response.

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 11:19 PM, Landlord said:

Warner Bros can't stop making terrible DC film property decisions. It's a shame.

I enjoyed Snyder's DC movies to varying degrees, I'm a DC movie fan. Even I can't stand this gangsta Joker. The negative sentiment about him is pretty common, don't see why they'd go with this version of Joker for a movie.

21 hours ago, Danimal said:

I enjoyed Snyder's DC movies to varying degrees, I'm a DC movie fan. Even I can't stand this gangsta Joker. The negative sentiment about him is pretty common, don't see why they'd go with this version of Joker for a movie.

If they're going to do a stand alone Joker movie, why not cast Mark Hammil?  For all intents and purposes, he IS the Joker.

• Plus1 1