Our Finish in Big10 West

NU West Div Finish Poll - early summer 2018  

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

By the way Frost is going after JUCOs and grad transfers who can play NOW, I'm thinking he isn't buying the preseason predictions of our lowly finish in the west nor surrendering to the tough schedule.  That is a good thing.  He is taking a New Excuses, We are the Master of our Destiny approach.

To that point,  we see predictions of NU finishing 5th in the division, some higher, I thought I'd create a poll as to get HB current temperature on where we think we will finish in the Division - and maybe revisit this just before the season starts when we know the starters, injuries, etc

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

By the way Frost is going after JUCOs and grad transfers who can play NOW, I'm thinking he isn't buying the preseason predictions of our lowly finish in the west nor surrendering to the tough schedule.  That is a good thing.  He is taking a New Excuses, We are the Master of our Destiny approach.

To that point,  we see predictions of NU finishing 5th in the division, some higher, I thought I'd create a poll as to get HB current temperature on where we think we will finish in the Division - and maybe revisit this just before the season starts when we know the starters, injuries, etc

damn, i dont even have the old ones down.

• Plus1 7

I don't think we finish 5th in the division.  I chose 3rd.  We'll more than likely be bowl eligible, but I'm not in the camp seeing 8+ wins.  We lack depth at some positions.  A key injury here or there is probably going to cost us down the stretch.  While I realize our recruiting rankings are higher than our peers within the division, in the past it seemed we loaded up on certain positions while almost ignoring others.  It's this lack of depth that's probably going to cost us this year. 

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, junior4949 said:

I don't think we finish 5th in the division.  I chose 3rd.  We'll more than likely be bowl eligible, but I'm not in the camp seeing 8+ wins.  We lack depth at some positions.  A key injury here or there is probably going to cost us down the stretch.  While I realize our recruiting rankings are higher than our peers within the division, in the past it seemed we loaded up on certain positions while almost ignoring others.  It's this lack of depth that's probably going to cost us this year. 

But what if injuries are relatively sparse, then can you see it?

Just now, brophog said:

But what if injuries are relatively sparse, then can you see it?

Yeah, it's completely possible.  It's why the games are played.  Who saw it coming that the year after Michigan State made the playoff they'd go 3-9 the next season?  Crazy stuff happens every year.  I'd feel a lot better about the season if we were lead by a seasoned QB.  Even the great Tommie Frazier stubbed his toe against lowly Iowa State in 92' his first year.  My gut feeling is we win a game or two that no one thinks we can or should, but we'll also lose a game or two that we shouldn't.  We're going to be very competitive this year, but I don't think we have all the pieces put together yet for a major push this year.

• Plus1 1

Ok - I picked 2nd in the West  and that we would surprise wt 8 wins.  We will win Akron, Colo, Troy, Purdue, NW, Minn, and Ill.  And get one upset against Mich, Wisc, Iowa, or MSU.

• Plus1 2

Picked third in the West and that we'd surprise pundits. I don't think we'll find teams like Michigan or Michigan State looking like we expect them to look when we play them, and I think there's a team (either Minny or Purdue) that is gonna make a run this year and maybe catch us with our pants down (hence third in the West). 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, junior4949 said:

We're going to be very competitive this year, but I don't think we have all the pieces put together yet for a major push this year.

Frost is way ahead of this. Being native, he knows how tough the summer gets for fans, so he collected a bunch of croots and has been handing them out this week. 

I picked fourth. I think Nebraska could beat one or more teams that finish above them in the standings, but finish lower due to the crossover games. At best, I think Nebraska only wins one of the games against the east teams.

So, hypothetically, let's say Nebraska loses at Michigan, at Wisconsin, at Ohio State and home vs. Michigan State. Then they drop another one, because that's just how college football works. That's 7-5 with either a 4-5 or 5-4 conference record.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Hans Gruber said:

I picked fourth. I think Nebraska could beat one or more teams that finish above them in the standings, but finish lower due to the crossover games. At best, I think Nebraska only wins one of the games against the east teams.

So, hypothetically, let's say Nebraska loses at Michigan, at Wisconsin, at Ohio State and home vs. Michigan State. Then they drop another one, because that's just how college football works. That's 7-5 with either a 4-5 or 5-4 conference record.

37 minutes ago, California Husker said:

The West is weak, there is no reason Nebraska can't win it. 

Iowa: Wisconsin at Iowa, Iowa at Indiana, Maryland at Iowa and Iowa at Penn St