Our Finish in Big10 West

NU West Div Finish Poll - early summer 2018  

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, Redux said:

Considering what Bo was able to do with Callahan players, it's not crazy to think something mildly simliar could happen this fall.

It’s possible. I’m just not going to go crazy saying the Huskers have the makings of the 09 defense reincarnated on this team. This team should have a relatively high base-level of talent given the recruits that have been brought in over the last few classes, as well as guys coming in to compete for spots immediately. Maybe this staff will be able to turn that talent loose and have it translate to on-field success. A defense that ranks in the top 100 nationally would be pretty cool, tbh. 

6 minutes ago, Redux said:

Considering what Bo was able to do with Callahan players, it's not crazy to think something mildly simliar could happen this fall.

I'm really excited for this defense, I think several players have the capacity to make a big jump. I don't know that we have a stud though to carry the load and inspire while everyone kind of figures it out. I see a significant jump, but that's largely because there is so far to go. So, a comparable jump to Bo is certainly possible...his year 1 jump. We are hanging banners if we make his year 2 jump.

2 hours ago, Redux said:

They aren't becoming consistent, they've been consistent over roughly 4 coaches now.  It's a system, it works in spite of itself almost.

That said, with a tougher slate of games this year and the lofty expectations from last year, I could easily see them falling back to the 8 win department this season.  I have no numbers to back this up, just gut feeling.  We probably don't beat them, but others will.  Their win over highly overrated Miami means more to some.

Agree they are the model of consistency this isn't new. It's also why Alvarez has so much say in what gets done, and why it doesn't matter who the coach is. 

As for their win total, I don't see them sliding to 8. I wouldn't be surprised if they go 11-1 or 9-3. They should be very good this season though.

They have a good deal of their front 7 coming back, and if you we're being real, is a big deal in the B1G, let alone CFB; Moreso than the 3 starters lost in the secondary. I do think if they slip on defense it will be there. But as brophog said, the QBs, especially in the West have been lacking for a while. So they don't get tested until games like the CCG. Yes, that Miami team was overrated. 

19 minutes ago, Redux said:

The only way they slide to 8 is if they manage to lose to both us and Northwestern, assuming they also lose to Michigan and Penn State.  But then again, Michigan is either going to be stellar or really average.

Michigan's defense is going to give them a chance in every game, it's all up to Patterson. Feel strongly the Badgers will lose one at least one of PSU or Michigan.

6 hours ago, Moiraine said:

lol. No one thought you were saying Nebraska was going to win the West. You still need to relax.

"There's no reason Nebraska can't win the West."

There's also no reason Indiana can't win the East.

It's basically the least bold statement a person can make. There are also lots of reasons for every team for why they won't win the division. Another not bold statement that seemed to inflame you for some reason.

Thanks Sigmund

6 hours ago, badgers007 said:

Despite that No. 63 ranked schedule, advanced rankings (i.e. Sagarin had them at No. 7) looked at Wisconsin as a very, very good team.  Winning 13 games isn't easy.

I realize that strength of schedule rankings are all over the place, and I agree that winning 13 games is impressive. But, in reality, the only really tough games Wisconsin played last season were against OSU and Miami and they were 1-1.

13 hours ago, Hans Gruber said:

The whole "the west is bad argument" doesn't apply to Wisconsin this fall. They will be loaded with probably their best team since Russell Wilson was there. Let's not forget that this is a team that went 13-1 last year, won the Orange Bowl and came close to beating Ohio State in the Big 10 title game and making the playoff. 

Oh, and they return their entire offensive line and one of the best running backs in the country. And they'll probably finish with a top 15 defense again. Nebraska may be able to beat Wisconsin in 2019 and beyond. They aren't going to beat the Badgers in Madison this fall. 

is that like 1,000 - 1 aren't or 10 -1 aren't

27 minutes ago, California Husker said:

I realize that strength of schedule rankings are all over the place, and I agree that winning 13 games is impressive. But, in reality, the only really tough games Wisconsin played last season were against OSU and Miami and they were 1-1.

They also played and defeated Northwestern who finished the season ranked #17.  They also played and defeated C-USA champion Florida Atlantic that finished the season with a 11-3 record.  The only loss came at the hands of #5 Ohio State while they beat two top 20 teams as well as the rest of their schedule.  It was a great season for them.

I might need to re-watch the game, which doesn’t sound too fun, but I don’t think we played Wisconsin all that tough last year. The score may have been close for longer than it should have been, but Wisconsin seemed to be in control all game long and outside of the long Morgan TD, our offense did absolutely nothing.

Wisconsin got to play their style of football because we never put any real pressure on them and they just completely wore us down, which is how they want to win anyway. Their final scoring output was in the 31-40 range in 8 different games last year and they scored 38 on the dot in 3 of them (including ours). It was a very methodical beating.

1 hour ago, junior4949 said:

They also played and defeated Northwestern who finished the season ranked #17.  They also played and defeated C-USA champion Florida Atlantic that finished the season with a 11-3 record.  The only loss came at the hands of #5 Ohio State while they beat two top 20 teams as well as the rest of their schedule.  It was a great season for them.

Yes, Wisconsin had a great season by Wisconsin standards. But I remember when Nebraska went undefeated "only" beating 4 top 20 teams. The Huskers got criticized for playing a soft schedule. So, congrats to the moles, or rats, or whatever Wisconsin calls their team. I'm just not that impressed with 13-1when there were only 3 top 20 teams on that schedule, one of which beat them and another that just squeaked into the top 20. 

2 hours ago, Caliborn72 said:

I might need to re-watch the game, which doesn’t sound too fun, but I don’t think we played Wisconsin all that tough last year. The score may have been close for longer than it should have been, but Wisconsin seemed to be in control all game long and outside of the long Morgan TD, our offense did absolutely nothing.

Wisconsin got to play their style of football because we never put any real pressure on them and they just completely wore us down, which is how they want to win anyway. Their final scoring output was in the 31-40 range in 8 different games last year and they scored 38 on the dot in 3 of them (including ours). It was a very methodical beating.

You make a point that may favor NU in the future.  If SF can put enough speed on offense we will put pressure on Wisc because we will score points.  One or two quick offensive scores and a turnover and they are no longer allowed to play ground control.

• Plus1 2
On 6/6/2018 at 9:06 AM, TGHusker said:

By the way Frost is going after JUCOs and grad transfers who can play NOW, I'm thinking he isn't buying the preseason predictions of our lowly finish in the west nor surrendering to the tough schedule.  That is a good thing.  He is taking a New Excuses, We are the Master of our Destiny approach.

To that point,  we see predictions of NU finishing 5th in the division, some higher, I thought I'd create a poll as to get HB current temperature on where we think we will finish in the Division - and maybe revisit this just before the season starts when we know the starters, injuries, etc

I voted first in the Big 10 West because I believe we can win 'em all and I will continue to believe that until losses actually happen.  And if the losses do happen, go down fighting, and do everything you can to make the other team bleed and suffer along the way.

• Plus1 3