Our Finish in Big10 West

NU West Div Finish Poll - early summer 2018  

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

You make a point that may favor NU in the future.  If SF can put enough speed on offense we will put pressure on Wisc because we will score points.  One or two quick offensive scores and a turnover and they are no longer allowed to play ground control.

You saw it on display in the CCG against Ohio State. They spent the entire game trying to catch up. If it weren't for Barrett's mistakes, the score wouldn't have been so close. For context, Wisconsin's average opponent offense was 81st overall nationally, with Ohio State at 7th and FAU 9th. 

• Plus1 1

I just don't see how Nebraska could finish worst than 3rd in the division. Wisconsin and Iowa are my favorites to finish 1st and 2nd but Purdue and northwestern just dont scare me. 

I think nw and purdue both have more difficult schedules to open the season that will make it hard for them to gain momentum. Both of them could open the year going 1-3. 

With a head coach that does more than stare down at his shoes on the sideline Nebraska should win at least 8 games.

• Plus1 2
9 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

is that like 1,000 - 1 aren't or 10 -1 aren't

I'm not a big gambling guy. I understand spreads, but I'm not an odds guy.

Let me put it this way. I think Nebraska (this fall, not future years) has about a 7% chance to beat Wisconsin. Of that 7%, I think 4-5% is that some act of God happens. Like if Wisconsin gets lost on the way to the game because of terrible fog and has to forfeit. Or if their whole defense gets leprosy or the whole coaching staff gets charged with racketeering.

I think in the future, Nebraska vs. Wisconsin will become the Oregon vs. Stanford from 2009-2015. A contrast of style between really good teams that decides the division.

This year, it's not going to happen. This is probably Wisconsin's best team since 2011 and one of their best ever. As Nebraska fans, we can gloat all we want about how Nebraska's best seasons are far better than Wisconsin's best seasons. This fall though, Wisconsin is probably going to win 11 or more games. Nebraska may win 7.

COULD it happen? Sure. Could Maryland beat Ohio State this year? Could Tennessee beat Georgia? It's possible. Is it going to happen? No.

• Plus1 1
On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 5:58 PM, Moiraine said:

There are dozens of reasons Nebraska probably won't win it. In 2019 I think there will be a lot less of those.

Year-two is when teams tend to make their biggest jump, our schedule is considerably easier, and our recruiting(especially with JUCO's) should start taking real effect.  I think we go 7-5 this year then make a serious run at winning the west in '19. t

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Danimal said:

Year-two is when teams tend to make their biggest jump, our schedule is considerably easier, and our recruiting(especially with JUCO's) should start taking real effect.  I think we go 7-5 this year then make a serious run at winning the west in '19. t

Agree.

4 hours ago, Danimal said:

Year 2 - playoffs!

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, Hans Gruber said:

Let me put it this way. I think Nebraska (this fall, not future years) has about a 7% chance to beat Wisconsin. Of that 7%, I think 4-5% is that some act of God happens. Like if Wisconsin gets lost on the way to the game because of terrible fog and has to forfeit. Or if their whole defense gets leprosy or the whole coaching staff gets charged with racketeering.

I think in the future, Nebraska vs. Wisconsin will become the Oregon vs. Stanford from 2009-2015. A contrast of style between really good teams that decides the division.

This year, it's not going to happen. This is probably Wisconsin's best team since 2011 and one of their best ever. As Nebraska fans, we can gloat all we want about how Nebraska's best seasons are far better than Wisconsin's best seasons. This fall though, Wisconsin is probably going to win 11 or more games. Nebraska may win 7.

COULD it happen? Sure. Could Maryland beat Ohio State this year? Could Tennessee beat Georgia? It's possible. Is it going to happen? No.

i hear you and agree with this ^ - Just seemed like you were going with a 0% chance - I like the bold.

From 2020 on the series with Wisc should grow into something FUN.

20 hours ago, California Husker said:

Yes, Wisconsin had a great season by Wisconsin standards. But I remember when Nebraska went undefeated "only" beating 4 top 20 teams. The Huskers got criticized for playing a soft schedule. So, congrats to the moles, or rats, or whatever Wisconsin calls their team. I'm just not that impressed with 13-1when there were only 3 top 20 teams on that schedule, one of which beat them and another that just squeaked into the top 20. 

I'm guessing you didn't think much of the 83' season either then.  I mean we only played 3 teams in the top 20, two of which barely squeaked into the top 20.  You have to play the hand that is dealt you.  It was no more Wisconsin's fault that more teams on their schedule wasn't ranked than it was in 83' that none of the other teams in our conference was ranked. 

3 hours ago, junior4949 said:

I'm guessing you didn't think much of the 83' season either then.  I mean we only played 3 teams in the top 20, two of which barely squeaked into the top 20.  You have to play the hand that is dealt you.  It was no more Wisconsin's fault that more teams on their schedule wasn't ranked than it was in 83' that none of the other teams in our conference was ranked. 

Of course you have to play the games on the schedule. But that doesn't mean the schedule can't be brought into question.

The only reason I'm even commenting on their schedule last year is that some people are using their 13-1 finish as THE reason to predict an NU loss to Wisconsin this year. I'm simply stating that due to the weakness of their schedule last year, their finish doesn't provide me with as much trepidation as, say, the Ohio State game for instance. I'm not guaranteeing a victory over Wisconsin; the fact that it's in Madison makes it even a little tougher, but I still see it as a game NU could win. That's all I was saying.

• Plus1 2

19 hours ago, Hans Gruber said:

So you start off saying you're not an "odds" guy, but say there is a 7% chance Nebraska beats Wisconsin?

Seems to me you're playing the odds...  :blink:

1 hour ago, California Husker said:

Wow

The correct answer is no one. No one thinks Wisconsin is going to beat us solely because they went 13-1 last year. If it was Iowa, a lot less people would think they're going to beat us if they went 13-1 last year. The reason people think Wisconsin is going to beat us is because, on top of going 13-1 last year, they are a very consistent team and have lost to us exactly 1 time since we joined the Big Ten and that was 6 years ago.

7 hours ago, Moiraine said:

The correct answer is no one. No one thinks Wisconsin is going to beat us solely because they went 13-1 last year. If it was Iowa, a lot less people would think they're going to beat us if they went 13-1 last year. The reason people think Wisconsin is going to beat us is because, on top of going 13-1 last year, they are a very consistent team and have lost to us exactly 1 time since we joined the Big Ten and that was 6 years ago.

Thank you